Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hitch weight may very well be an issue. I have a camper that is 3500 max with a hitch weight of 275 dry. With 100# battery, full propane tank and maneuvering of cargo in the inside I get the tongue weight to 425-450 using a tongue scale for precision. Without fail every time we tow our TT the Front Assist sensor goes out of calibration. Even under the 500 max hitch weight, the tongue weight lifts the front of the vehicle and blows the sensor. I even have air bags installed and still have this problem. This requires a trip to the dealers every time. Only way to solve this is with WD bars to level out the Atlas which cannot be used per the manual.
This is very interesting. With our stock Atlas at the time and our TT with a tongue of 390 lbs it seems that for this vehicle ~400 lb tongue weight is the threshold for when things can go south.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We are looking for a camper to fit our family of 4 (so need something with bunks). We can find several options around 3500lbs but the hitch weight seems high. I was hoping to find a camper around 3000 lbs with a hitch weight under 400.

This one looks like a good option and a local dealership has it available for deposit. I'm concerned about the 410lbs hitch weight. 2020 Keystone RV Passport SL Series M-175 BH Prices

Everyone keeps trying to tell me I need a WDH and I keep explaining that it is not an option with this vehicle.
Is this a dual axle or single(link shows 1 but other sites shows 2)? If dual then TW should not be an issue keeping in mind what is being stored in the front cargo compartment.
Single you will be closer(more on the plus) to 500lbs on TW after battery & full propane + front cargo. Keep in mind TV's CCC is ~1200lbs minus TW+kids+spouse+dogs+cargo.
If dual axle, I would guess that WDH is not needed but friction sway bar is a good idea. Air bags would be needed to help spring level the back/front but would not be 100%.
Single axle, I would go with WDH with anti-sway + air bags, with proper adjustment, the front/back will be level.
Best if the Dealer can do a CAT weigh of the TT dry rather than relying on the paper specs(3325).
Good Luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is this a dual axle or single(link shows 1 but other sites shows 2)? If dual then TW should not be an issue keeping in mind what is being stored in the front cargo compartment.
Single you will be closer(more on the plus) to 500lbs on TW after battery & full propane + front cargo. Keep in mind TV's CCC is ~1200lbs minus TW+kids+spouse+dogs+cargo.
If dual axle, I would guess that WDH is not needed but friction sway bar is a good idea. Air bags would be needed to help spring level the back/front but would not be 100%.
Single axle, I would go with WDH with anti-sway + air bags, with proper adjustment, the front/back will be level.
Best if the Dealer can do a CAT weigh of the TT dry rather than relying on the paper specs(3325).
Good Luck.
We did not buy this one and have decided to buy a Wolf Pup 16bhs instead. It's lighter overall.

NEW 2021 FOREST RIVER CHEROKEE WOLF PUP 16BHS WEIGHTS & MEASUREMENTS
Exterior Length21' 5"GWVR3877 lb.
Exterior Height10' 6"Exterior Width84"
Dry Weight3097 lb.Fresh Water Tank Capacity26.00 gal.
Hitch Weight377Holding Tank Capacity – Black23.00 gal.
Awning Length12'Holding Tank Capacity – Grey23.00 gal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are looking for a camper to fit our family of 4 (so need something with bunks). We can find several options around 3500lbs but the hitch weight seems high. I was hoping to find a camper around 3000 lbs with a hitch weight under 400.

This one looks like a good option and a local dealership has it available for deposit. I'm concerned about the 410lbs hitch weight. 2020 Keystone RV Passport SL Series M-175 BH Prices

Everyone keeps trying to tell me I need a WDH and I keep explaining that it is not an option with this vehicle.
I tow with a 3,500 trailor and and can but should you? Depends on how many people in the Atlas and how loaded. Know you are close to the limit so slow down and know you will not be going through the mountains. Keep trans in sport to turn off overdrive, shift manually otherwise it will shift up and down on every hill and drive you crazy. Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I tow with a 3,500 trailor and and can but should you? Depends on how many people in the Atlas and how loaded. Know you are close to the limit so slow down and know you will not be going through the mountains. Keep trans in sport to turn off overdrive, shift manually otherwise it will shift up and down on every hill and drive you crazy. Good luck, have fun.
Honestly, our longest trip will probably be the one we are making to pick this thing up (about 4 hours). We have tons of campground options within a 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour radius and that is what we are buying it to do. It's for short weekend trips with lighter loads. We are also looking at monthly or seasonal rentals close to home. I can say with absolute certainty that a long trip with this camper is not in our future. We have access to a large RV that we would probably take on a long trip if we ever wanted to set off for the great unknown.

·
Registered
1 Posts

We have a forest river wildwood fsx 178bhsk tounge weight 430lbs UVW 3749lbs. I added firestone helper airbags and an anti sway bar. The Atlas tows beautifully. We've had no issues with this set up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We just completed our trip home with the camper. The Atlas did totally fine. We went up some steep sections and it was fine. Obviously the camper was empty but there was no issue towing it. We had tools and things in the back of the Atlas and the back of the vehicle did drop some once the camper was connected but it wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t noticeable unless you were watching the camper be hooked up and saw it drop. It was almost a 6 hour drive home on different types of roads. We used a sway bar.

We may explore air bags but I don’t think it’s something we HAVE to have. This camper seems to be a good option for towing with the Atlas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just completed our trip home with the camper. The Atlas did totally fine. We went up some steep sections and it was fine. Obviously the camper was empty but there was no issue towing it. We had tools and things in the back of the Atlas and the back of the vehicle did drop some once the camper was connected but it wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t noticeable unless you were watching the camper be hooked up and saw it drop. It was almost a 6 hour drive home on different types of roads. We used a sway bar.

We may explore air bags but I don’t think it’s something we HAVE to have. This camper seems to be a good option for towing with the Atlas.
I’m glad you had a great first positive experience with your travel trailer. Did you use sports mode? When first towing I went back and forth between normal and sport, but ultimately settled on sports mode. What brake controller are you using?

Enjoy your new trailer and do post pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We did use Sports mode. We have a Tekonsha brake controller.

One note on the brake controller. The adapter that is sold for this brand controller is no longer compatible with the Atlas. Etrailer will show that is is the correct part but it is not. There actually is not an adapter for a Tekonsha controller at this time. Ours is now hard wired (splicing).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts