Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community:

I recently purchased a 2019 Atlas SE w/Tech R Line. I love the car. However, after 1k I have one issue that I wanted to pitch to the group before taking it in to the dealer.

Like many on here, I had some interesting transmissions shifts, particularly around town, early on. Those seem to have settled and the car shifts smoothly, except for the first 3 to 4 shift of the day. No matter which drive mode I'm in, the best way to describe the shift is hard. After this first 3 to 4 shift, it's perfect until everything is cold again (sitting idle for an extended period). While warm and driving, subsequent 3 to 4 shifts are perfect. In eco mode, it's the least noticeable. In sport it's not too bad unless I'm under heavy acceleration when the shift occurs, but in normal mode the shift can be outright jarring no matter the speed or rate of acceleration.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Does it resolve itself through additional shift point learning? It's been doing this since 400 miles on the odometer, so I've "just driven" for 600+ miles (mostly city driving) to see if it will re-learn it's way around this.

Thank you to anyone who contributes. I plan to take it to the dealer, but want to be informed when I take it in to ensure I don't get the "performing as designed" diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
To be really honest - unless it's throwing a code (hidden or otherwise) the dealer will almost with 100% certainty give you "working as designed". Drive it for a while. You have as 6/72 warranty. After 10K miles if you are still concerned, then ask your dealer. Mine has 23K on it/2 years old and has goofy shifts from time to time and even a few that are "hard". When you take a transmission and program the logic to be uber-eco focused, they will do some weird stuff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have about 3400 ,iles on mine, but that includes a highway trip to Florida and back. My dealer told me that the transmission would settle down after about a thousand miles. Apparently, these Japanese transmissions have a break in period.
I recently posted that my transmission shifts more smoothly after I put in a K&N air intake filter. Now, I think it might ne the transmission settling in. Be patient and don't drive it hard and I am sure that it will be better when you have a few more miles on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts