Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we did t. We are officially a 2 VW family again. As much as I should have learned in the past, I keep coming back. I have had at least one VW emblem parked in front of my house since 1989, and now there is two.

Pete here, and yesterday we picked up a 2018 SEL 4motion R-Line. Absolutely fell in love with the Atlas shortly after its release. Our Honda Odyssey was a bit of a "in a pinch" purchase and after 7 years of ownership we decided that Honda builds cars for short people. At 6'3, we needed something with more room for me and the wife, as well as, something that would help our every so aging knees, now that we are in our 40s.

We looked at everything from a KIA Sorento to a Cadillac Escalade. It came down to 3: Toyota Highlander, Dodge Durango, and the VW Atlas. The Durango v6 blew chunks and the MPG of the R/T v8 was worse off then any other. Toyota came in a close second but even the Limited Platinum only had a 4 way adjustable seat and we needed an 8 way. In comes the VW Atlas with its sexy looking R-Line Package, SEL trim line, and big round backside (I like big....and I cannot lie)

As stated above, not new to VW label. 89 GTI 8v, 95 Golf Sport, 96 GTI vr6, 99 Jetta V6, 03 Passat, 11 GTI 4Door, and now a 18 Passat R-Line and 18 Atlas R Line.

Look forward to great conversation a learning a ton!!!

Attachments

Reactions: ShinerTx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Pete! Nice looking pair of R-Lines you have there... I have two VW badges in the driveway as well; 2016 1.8T Beetle in addition to the 2018 Atlas R-line.

How many miles on the Passat, how are you liking it? I'll be looking for a new daily driver soon so I can give the Atlas to the wife. Considering R-Line Passat or Jetta.

I am curious about your impression of the Highlander. I haven't driven one, but rode in our friends new one recently. I think the Atlas definitely has a better ride and I like the interior appointments better in the Atlas. I continue to be impressed with how good the Atlas rides on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just turned 10k miles on the Passat. The room you get for the price is amazing. It is the largest car in its class, beating out the Genesis G90. And most of all, I can EASILY pump over 500 miles out of a tank of gas if its strictly highway driving. What do I miss? Well I came from a 2011 GTI and its definitely not as fun as that car was. After tsting driving the 2.0T Atlas, I soooooo wish VW would have put that combo with the 8 speed transmission in the Passat. How they tuned the Atlas 2.0 over the Passat would make the B7 platform a beast.

The highlander was nice. A Limited comes in just a couple thousand cheaper. My wife NEEDED the 8 way adjustable passenger seat which the Highlander didn't have in any trim. She WANTED vented seats which came in the Limited Highlander but required a bump up to premium in the Atlas. Needs over wants prevailed in this case. The seats were a lot more plush and softer leather in the Highlander. The second row was a bit smaller too. And when you have two daughters standing at 5'7 and 5'5 and only 13 and 10 years old, the extra room is nice. Plus after seeing a couple Highlanders on the road since our purchase, they look like the Minivan version of SUVs...just plain vanilla.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts