Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car from the Dealership after having the check engine light and airbag sensor replace and fixed. I went out to do some shopping on Saturday, but my gauge stated that I had 3/4 full tank, but on this morning I only had 40 miles before I was out of gas. I went to the gas station this morning to get gas and was not able to pump more that 5-6 gallon in my car. I went on to work and upon leaving today and my gas indicator on the dash stated I had 1/2 full tank, then as I proceeded down the road, it stated that I had 3/4 tank full. When I got home, I went around to my tank and opened my tank, and there was like air in the tank. I am baffled by this as I have never had to this to happen on any of my cars, and I have had 6 VW cars that I have had. I don't know how to describe this to the dealer and I am not able to take my vehicle back to the dealership until 2 more days. I will have to go to the gas station to try to put more gas in my car and hope I don't end up on the side of the road. Has there been others that have experience this and what did the mechanic state the problem was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my car from the Dealership after having the check engine light and airbag sensor replace and fixed. I went out to do some shopping on Saturday, but my gauge stated that I had 3/4 full tank, but on this morning I only had 40 miles before I was out of gas. I went to the gas station this morning to get gas and was not able to pump more that 5-6 gallon in my car. I went on to work and upon leaving today and my gas indicator on the dash stated I had 1/2 full tank, then as I proceeded down the road, it stated that I had 3/4 tank full. When I got home, I went around to my tank and opened my tank, and there was like air in the tank. I am baffled by this as I have never had to this to happen on any of my cars, and I have had 6 VW cars that I have had. I don't know how to describe this to the dealer and I am not able to take my vehicle back to the dealership until 2 more days. I will have to go to the gas station to try to put more gas in my car and hope I don't end up on the side of the road. Has there been others that have experience this and what did the mechanic state the problem was.
Mine has been doing the same thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened to ours yesterday. 2019 SEL with tech. Almost 70K on the clock and it has never happened before. The tank was lower than I like and a hissing noise could be heard coming from the fill port. As stated above, fuel would shut off. After several attempts, I stopped and waited for the hissing to stop. After the hissing stopped, it was normal operation. Fueled up no problem. Is it possible there is an airlock going on when the tank is ran too low? We usually fill up at a quarter tank or above. Curious to see if it happens again.

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
This happened to ours yesterday. 2019 SEL with tech. Almost 70K on the clock and it has never happened before. The tank was lower than I like and a hissing noise could be heard coming from the fill port. As stated above, fuel would shut off. After several attempts, I stopped and waited for the hissing to stop. After the hissing stopped, it was normal operation. Fueled up no problem. Is it possible there is an airlock going on when the tank is ran too low? We usually fill up at a quarter tank or above. Curious to see if it happens again.
It's due to the fuel tank's carbon canister/venting system - it's an emissions control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer replaced the airbag sensor and updated the information in the car and now it is running as if it should. I am grateful that I was not charge for these follow-up visits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts