Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used SEL Premium with 9k miles on it, and it's first time filling up. Apparently I had 45 miles until empty, and when I filled up just now it was only about 14.5 gallons. I would've expected it to be closer to 17.5-18 gallons. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Atlas is set to show "zero miles left" when there are something like 2 gallons still in the tank. The light comes on with about 4 gallons left saying 50 miles remaining.

It's a ridiculous "safety net".

To answer your question, yes, it has been noticed....

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
18.5 gal tank. Light on at ~16 gal used so ~2.5 left. Range will go to 0 with ~1.5 gal left/30 miles to go. If you enable the "gal to fill" with OBDEleven, you can really push it until you get to 18 b/c you will know exactly how far you can drive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For example.....mine hit "0 miles to empty" yesterday. I drove 20 miles on E. Filled up the tank and it took 17.2 gallons.

My wife was like "are you sure we are going to make it to the gas station? Should we try to find someplace closer?"

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an aside, I've noticed that unlike my other vehicles, I can (at certain gas pumps/stations) add another 2 gallons after the pump auto-stops, without it overflowing. I have, on one occasion, had an overfill at around 1.5g extra. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, I understand this is not always a desirable thing. I would perhaps advise against it in the summer, for example, to prevent expansion from causing an overflow. This might be especially true if you have a very short drive from the station to your home. However, I have never seen that yet, from adding only 1 extra gallon after the pump stops. Yes, it takes extra time. Yes, it can be a pain because it wants to auto-stop even more.

However, getting an extra 40 miles extra before needing to fill up is a nice feature. I am gratified to learn that 0 does not actually mean zero. I do caution readers to understand that fuel pumps are at least partially cooled by the fuel they are in. If the tank is empty, there is more pump wear and tear (this is universal to all makes and models). Keeping the gas tank more full means more life in your fuel pump. As such I advise not going below zero in your Atlas for the sake of fuel pump life. That is probably why VW sets zero where they do—to keep the pump submerged.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Atlas is set to show "zero miles left" when there are something like 2 gallons still in the tank. The light comes on with about 4 gallons left saying 50 miles remaining.

It's a ridiculous "safety net".

To answer your question, yes, it has been noticed....
Not when it's getting like 10 mpg in the city. That 4-3 gals is going to go fast. ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone get or heard of check engine light going on after topping off tank? Mine has done this twice. Was told by the dealership that it has to do with a sensor and some type of air pocket in the tank? Unless Im not understanding, doesn't sound right to me.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Anyone get or heard of check engine light going on after topping off tank? Mine has done this twice. Was told by the dealership that it has to do with a sensor and some type of air pocket in the tank? Unless Im not understanding, doesn't sound right to me.
Yes, you can have that happen from time to time, check that your cap is sealed/tight. It's a evap code I believe. Just google it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts