Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone has problems with gas range? For instance, I had 75 miles left, went into a store for nine minutes, came back out, started car and 135 miles left. Why? Also, once gas gauge gets down to just above a quarter of a tank, occasionally the gas hand will plummet into the red area close to E and ding that I need gas. Its panic inducing. When I called about this problem I was told ‘just keep gas in it’. I’ve taken it in 3 times and emailed twice about it with pictures of gas gauge/mileage.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
I would say what you are describing is normal. It's just calc'ing this off of different parameters/averages and it will sometimes seem odd. Without doing a long drawn-out post, the bottom line is the Atlas will get about 350-400 miles on a tank on the highway and 200-250 around town. The tank is 18.5 gal and the light will come on around 15.5 gal used so 3 gal left which is a really big margin of error - that is part of your question. When the range to empty hits 0, that means you have 1.5 gal left. Next time you fill up and the light is on, check - I will be you only fill it with ~16 gal. There is a nifty adaptation you can enable using OBDEleven (search please) that enables you to see the "gallons to fill" so you can quickly see how many gallons of gas you have left - I find that is a better representation vs. the estimated miles to empty. I also find that on tanks with mostly highway driving/crusing, the numbers are all more accurate vs. around town and that makes sense - it's v. hard to calc your mpgs when you are driving light to light one minute and then the next on a section of road cruising at 45.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say what you are describing is normal. It's just calc'ing this off of different parameters/averages and it will sometimes seem odd. Without doing a long drawn-out post, the bottom line is the Atlas will get about 350-400 miles on a tank on the highway and 200-250 around town. The tank is 18.5 gal and the light will come on around 15.5 gal used so 3 gal left which is a really big margin of error - that is part of your question. When the range to empty hits 0, that means you have 1.5 gal left. Next time you fill up and the light is on, check - I will be you only fill it with ~16 gal. There is a nifty adaptation you can enable using OBDEleven (search please) that enables you to see the "gallons to fill" so you can quickly see how many gallons of gas you have left - I find that is a better representation vs. the estimated miles to empty. I also find that on tanks with mostly highway driving/crusing, the numbers are all more accurate vs. around town and that makes sense - it's v. hard to calc your mpgs when you are driving light to light one minute and then the next on a section of road cruising at 45.
That’s the best way anyone has ever explained it to me. I just can’t understand
I have a few more questions since you seem the most knowledgeable about this. I have three friends with Atlases and they have never seen this. Their gas hands don’t move abruptly. And I just don’t get why other makes of cars don’t do this either. Their gas hand just goes down. Never back up. And the deficits seem very large to me. Also, I’ve driven to a gas station with 0 miles (I know, I’m going to change it to gallons after I google it) and have never been able to put more than 13 gallons in it. I really appreciate your time. I just don’t believe this is normal. But I’m not a mechanic 🤣

·
Registered
202 Posts
First of all, you have to remember that it is not a fuel gauge, just an indicator and there are no guarantees of accuracy.
I noticed that the range on fillups seems to use the last mpg to calculate the new range when you fill up. The last time I came back from Florida, my range was about 420 - 430 miles, after averaging about 24 mpg highway miles, but if I am driving around town and I average about 18 mpg, it calculates my range to be about 380 - 390 miles.
The other thing I noticed is that I usually fill up when I have about 40 to 60 miles left to empty and I can, at best, only put 12 - 13 gallons into the tank.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
That’s the best way anyone has ever explained it to me. I just can’t understand

I have a few more questions since you seem the most knowledgeable about this. I have three friends with Atlases and they have never seen this. Their gas hands don’t move abruptly. And I just don’t get why other makes of cars don’t do this either. Their gas hand just goes down. Never back up. And the deficits seem very large to me. Also, I’ve driven to a gas station with 0 miles (I know, I’m going to change it to gallons after I google it) and have never been able to put more than 13 gallons in it. I really appreciate your time. I just don’t believe this is normal. But I’m not a mechanic 🤣
Time to take it in then - yes, something sounds off. You really need to be able to repeat this for them/show them but it sounds like a faulty gas tank float/sensor.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
First of all, you have to remember that it is not a fuel gauge, just an indicator and there are no guarantees of accuracy.
I noticed that the range on fillups seems to use the last mpg to calculate the new range when you fill up. The last time I came back from Florida, my range was about 420 - 430 miles, after averaging about 24 mpg highway miles, but if I am driving around town and I average about 18 mpg, it calculates my range to be about 380 - 390 miles.
The other thing I noticed is that I usually fill up when I have about 40 to 60 miles left to empty and I can, at best, only put 12 - 13 gallons into the tank.
Low fuel light for me is about 15.5 gallons to fill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to take it in then - yes, something sounds off. You really need to be able to repeat this for them/show them but it sounds like a faulty gas tank float/sensor.
I sure do appreciate your help! It’s been a very frustrating problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what does everyone get as far as MPG? I am not happy. I am 10 months in and avg 17.7 for a V6. My commute is 65/35 city/hwy. I think this is horrible for a V6. I traded in my 2004 SL500 V8 for this and i was getting 21 with it plus the power

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
So what does everyone get as far as MPG? I am not happy. I am 10 months in and avg 17.7 for a V6. My commute is 65/35 city/hwy. I think this is horrible for a V6. I traded in my 2004 SL500 V8 for this and i was getting 21 with it plus the power
The 17 to 23 stated on the window sticker didn't concern you when you bought it? You drive mainly around tow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts