Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased our second VW - since I am a happy owner of a 2011 Touareg we decided to pick up a slightly larger 2019 Atlas as well - family is getting larger :)

overall happy with the car .. except - when we were purchasing it sales person advised us of a full tank of gas for roughly 500 Kms in the city and close to 600 on the highway

we are averaging 350 in the city ( where our Touareg would do close to 550 )

is anyone else encountering very high gas consumption ??

VW dealership states if no red on the dashboard - all is well :). Somehow I do not believe them

please share your thoughts. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
What does the math tell you in terms of mpgs? Don't worry about range. The Atlas easily achieves it's stated mpgs of 17-24 mpg. I have regularly hand-calc's tanks at 24 on road trips and see 16-17mpg around town. Our overall combined mpgs look to be ~18mpg with a 70/30 split of city/hwy. Also keep in mind that the gas light will come on with roughly 2.5 gal left in the tank and the range to empty will show zero with roughly 1.5 gal left. Bottom line - do the math and don't go off range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What mode are you driving on? I mainly use the Normal because ECO for me the lack of power is annoying and even the normal sometimes seems sluggish. I do mainly city driving but where I live that consists of 45-55 MPH (72-88 KPH) speed limits, so I'm averaging about 15-19 mpg for city and whenever I go on the highway on a rare occasion I average about 21 mpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drive in normal mode and mostly city driving, and getting 13-14 mpg, and get 15-16 mpg with mixed city and freeway driving. The city speed limits are 35-45 MPH. I got 19-20 mpg one time when drove 350 miles on freeway to Phoenix, Arizona from California.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In mostly suburban traffic, lots of short trips with red lights. 13/14mpg. On long highway road trips at 70+mph we averaged about 21mpg fully loaded.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In San Francisco with a lot of hills & stop signs in the Atlas 4Motion V6, I get 11-13mpg. Freeway to LA via I-5, 23mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. I feel like an outlier. I am averaging 20mpg per tank on my 2019 SEL Premium 4Motion V6 (confirmed by doing gas pump fill up math, not just the onboard economy).

I often get 21+ mpg in extended highway driving, though that depends on whether I'm going closer to 70mph or 80mph. I do drive in ECO mode primarily, and haven't felt like the power is noticeably different from Normal mode (I have tried both). I've even driven a bit in Sport mode to see what the difference is, and have had to have Snow mode on much more regularly during the winter (we live in the foothills of the mountains in Utah, which is why we bought a 4 wheel drive vehicle). We have a good mix of in town and highway driving. In town, the speed limit is 30-40mph. I've run higher octane premium gas through my last 4 tanks, and it's observably got more punch off the line, but no better fuel economy than regular gasoline.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What does the math tell you in terms of mpgs? Don't worry about range. The Atlas easily achieves it's stated mpgs of 17-24 mpg. I have regularly hand-calc's tanks at 24 on road trips and see 16-17mpg around town. Our overall combined mpgs look to be ~18mpg with a 70/30 split of city/hwy. Also keep in mind that the gas light will come on with roughly 2.5 gal left in the tank and the range to empty will show zero with roughly 1.5 gal left. Bottom line - do the math and don't go off range.

My first trip took me from Detroit to Sturgeon Bay WI up and over the top (the UP). Got 27mpg as the best I got, but that's driving like 60mph and keeping the tach below 2k. Not sure what mode I was in. But my last 3 trips, last one was from Detroit to Long Beach MS area and back. 25mpg avg. Before that a Trip to Central TN and a trip to Boston (all from Detroit). Again, 24-26mpg. My Passat could get to almost 1000 miles to it's tank on the hwy if you drove the speed limit (or maybe a little less). But with my 09 Jeep getting 11 city (on a good day) and 17 city with the wind to your back, rather I can go 450 miles or 350, small tank takes less gas to fill up. Would have been nice if they put a 20 gal tank on it but still, it is what it is. Don't mind stopping every few hundred miles. I drove it for 18 hours in one day. Though the day was long, I wasn't begging to get out of it at the end of the day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
oops, the Jeep @17 would be hwy

But with my 09 Jeep getting 11 city (on a good day) and 17 Highway with the wind to your back, rather I can go 450 miles or 350, small tank takes less gas to fill up. Would have been nice if they put a 20 gal tank on it but still, it is what it is. Don't mind stopping every few hundred miles. I drove it for 18 hours in one day. Though the day was long, I wasn't begging to get out of it at the end of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts