Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Atlas owners! My wife’s
Atlas recently had a flat and now we have 1 tire thats different than the rest, and I don’t love the tire. And the 3 others have 67k more miles on them. So I was thinking maybe turning this new tire into a spare and replacing all 4 with the right tires. maybe find a cheap steel wheel to mount it on.

Does anyone know if you can fit a full size spare in that spare tire location?

By looking at it, it seems it may be possible, not sure.

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't believe the spare tire well can hold a full size spare. I believe it is a narrower wheel with the same profile height. I assume you were in a pinch and needed one.....otherwise yeah, you shouldve just bought a set. You definitely don't want to keep running this way though. No manufacturers would recommend you run ONE new tire with 3 old. At best some will allow you to swap 2, but most will say you have to get 4 new. Had this with my wife's car recently. Had to replace 4 tires when one was damaged with 40k miles. At least yours were well worn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe the spare tire well can hold a full size spare. I believe it is a narrower wheel with the same profile height. I assume you were in a pinch and needed one.....otherwise yeah, you shouldve just bought a set. You definitely don't want to keep running this way though. No manufacturers would recommend you run ONE new tire with 3 old. At best some will allow you to swap 2, but most will say you have to get 4 new. Had this with my wife's car recently. Had to replace 4 tires when one was damaged with 40k miles. At least yours were well worn.
Yep, we needed to get on the highway the next day. And it being Christmas, most places were closed. Needed somethin quick.

I'll work on getting her all new 4 tires. I'll look around to what tires you all like here. She had the OEM 255/50 r20 Continental CrossContact LX Sport's on there. The shop put on 1 Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe on AWD vehicles "matching" tires, including tread, is advised

My daughter had a flat that could not be repaired on tires basically with 15k mi on them. Americas tire was replacing the tire due to warranty and said they needed to use exactly the same tire due to AWD. They installed a new tire that was same size but not tread and ordered the same tire they would replace that within a few days, no charge. Apparently, it was a thing they needed to adhere to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I am not mistaken, it is due to the other tires being worn and then all do not have the same rolling diameter which messes up the AWD systems and other sensors and systems, or theoretically can. Can ruin differentials and such….

SB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I agree with matching tires. I don't want to destroy the front diff or bearings.

The question was if anyone has stuffed a full size spare back there. I guess I can pull the tire again and see. But I was hoping there was someone out there that had the same thought before I go and put the Atlas on the jack again. 🙃

·
Registered
26 Posts
The spare is the same diameter but thinner and is designed as an emergency tire to use if the regular goes flat as a temporary tire. I suspect a full-size Atlas rim/tire would not fit in terms of the width

You could just measure the width of the stock tire/rim and see if the depth of the spare tire compartment can fit it with the lid closed.

FWIW the advertised measurement of a 255/50 x 20 tire:

255/50R20 Tires 255/50R20 tires have a diameter of 30.0", a section width of 10.0"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did a lot of "research" and ended up putting Pirelli Scorpion Verde 2's on both my atlas and my wife's Grand Cherokee. Wanted a good balance of wet and dry but decent enough for our occasional snow. It really comes down to what conditions you drive in and what you want from a tire. Tire rack does some nice comparisons and you can really gather all the details as far as wet/dry/snow etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tread Tire Rim Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

closing the loop. After we got 4 new tires put on (Michelin LTX) I tried to fit the old tire in the spare spot to see. Looks like it won’t fit without removing that white piece of metal that sits over that location. I was thinking about cutting that piece as it doesn’t look supportive but I think I’ll leave it for now. If anyone tries this, I’d love to see it. A full size spare would be great in these AWD vehicles.

Currently selling the Goodyear for anyone who wants it. $150

1 - 14 of 14 Posts