Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Front Passenger Dashboard Rattle - something clicks - maybe against vent tubes

13K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  jmscas49 
#1 ·
Newer Atlas, less than 10K miles - been in for a loud rattle coming from the front passenger side pillar/dashboard. Sounds “click or plasticky,” and happens over smooth or rough roads. It’s not audible on every drive, but probably 30-40% of them. Dealer has been sent videos and acknowledges it’s there - they can’t seem to figure out what it is (lately, I feel it is coming from the dashboard, inside, near where the heat/ac vents are). Dealer hasn’t tackled looking at dash for solution yet. Dealer as acknowledged videos of issue but has struggled to identify cause - any ideas what could be causing this or where I should be coaching dealer to look?

#3 ·
Weird... VW Customer Care is involved now (at suggestion of service advisor I’ve been working with). Mine appears to be getting worse with time... it’ll be interesting if they can get these fixed - it’ll also be interesting if anyone else chimes in with a similar issue...

#4 ·
I have a similar noise but it is on the driver side it sounds like it’s coming from the pillar but I did locate the noise it’s the courtesy light above the sunvisor, next time you hear the noise pull down the sunvisor and put
downward pressure on the courtesy light see if that helps.

#5 ·
I have a similar noise but it is on the driver side it sounds like it’s coming from the pillar but I did locate the noise it’s the courtesy light above the sunvisor, next time you hear the noise pull down the sunvisor and put
downward pressure on the courtesy light see if that helps.
Interesting! It’s in again so they can take another shot at resolving the issue, but I will talk to them tomorrow and make they try this. Thank you for sharing!

#8 ·
Weird... my atlas is in again today to try to resolve it. It’s hard to tell if it’s coming from the side pillar, vent, or even speaker (like you mentioned). It’s definitely on the “surface,” and nothing feels loose. Quite annoying!

#16 ·
My 2019 has 13k on the lock and developed the passenger door rattle. VW found that the black piece at the top of the door panel was not secured well to the lower piece. Couldn’t fix it and ordered a new door panel. They also ordered a new torque converter. They heard the noise. I didnt.

#17 ·
I have a 2020 Volkswagen Cross Sport with less the 2K miles and am experiencing the same thing. I've had it at the dealership twice with no resolution. I too would describe the rattle as "plastic" sounding and coming from near the passenger vent. It's almost like something got left or dropped into the air vent. It isn't usually noticeable when driving in the city, but becomes louder and more annoying when on the interstate at high speeds. It's especially bad when driving at higher speeds into the wind.

#27 ·
Have your dealer contact Chapman VW in Tucson Arizona. Mine had the same problemsDash rattle and both front doors. First time they had it for a week. Second time took almost three weeks. It’s fixed. I’ve driven it 2 k miles since then. I think it’s fixed. That replaced both door panels. Adjusted a/c vents and used spray insulation. They modified the inside of the new door panels. I now have the Atlas that I adore.

#18 ·
Mine has the same issue. Dealer claims to have ordered a new door pane. That was 2.5 months ago. Service appt keeps being delayed. I also meet the torque converter replaced and a drivers seat cover replaced. It split at 11k. You bet I’m disappointed.

#30 ·
Been there done that. It took several attempts at a solution, but Chapman VW in Tucson AZ finally identified and fixed this problem. Replaced passenger door panel. applied a heat gun to its seams and sprayed both front door panels with a foam to deaden sound. Took almost 3 weeks but they never gave up.