Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Front License Plate Bracket

45K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  MNACS20 
#1 ·
Do all 2020 Cross Sport SE w Tech V6 come with the same front license plate bracket?
The bracket is thin and the mount plugs are mis-aligned with the holes in the license plate.
Ideally I am looking for something beefier with the plate recessed into the bracket.

See less See more
#2 ·
The front license plate is a dealer install. I supervised the install of my front plate, since I bought my car in another state that didn't require a front license plate, but my state does. Most dealers put the front plate bracket on when the car is delivered. In the oicture you showed, the bracket looks look too low.

Attachments

#5 ·
I have a car in Florida which doesn't have a front plate anymore. It is barely noticeable. However, I would go back to the dealer and have them redo it. You have nothing to lose. Another option is there are license brackets that screw into the tow hook on cars. I am not sure about SUV's. The tow hook might be under the car.

#7 ·
Just bought my 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport SEL R-Line yesterday. I requested the dealer not drill into the bumper as i was planning to mount the front plate via the front tow ring thread.
1 - Does this vehicle have a bumper port for a tow ring? It looks like it does on the passenger side of the front bumper.
2 - Has anyone mounted a plate in this manner? I am having trouble finding any info on this.
3 - As rayram23 mentioned - Wondering if there is a different model tow hook with dimensions that would match that of the cross sport 2020?

Thanks!

#9 ·
Just bought my 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport SEL R-Line yesterday. I requested the dealer not drill into the bumper as i was planning to mount the front plate via the front tow ring thread.
1 - Does this vehicle have a bumper port for a tow ring? It looks like it does on the passenger side of the front bumper.
2 - Has anyone mounted a plate in this manner? I am having trouble finding any info on this.
3 - As rayram23 mentioned - Wondering if there is a different model tow hook with dimensions that would match that of the cross sport 2020?

Thanks!
It does have a tow eye mounting screw hole. I haven't use this yet since I don't have my permanent Illinois plates. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VXV4DP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#12 ·
Well... that's the problem. THERE IS NO THREAD for the towing eye. Apparently, VW thinks that the US version CS doesn't need a towing eye, so it was deleted, even though it's in the manual and the online parts catalog. there is a hole, but no threads. So I'm going to find a welder to weld a fender washer that will cover the hole and fab a holder. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

#13 ·
So, did anyone find a solution to the front license plate mount/ tow hitch?? I've been searching for weeks now. I see a doesn't seem there's still a solid solution yet. Sorry but, I don't see how that mount on Amazon would work when the Atlas' tow hitch has no threads =/. The VW dealer I purchased my 2021 Atlas from said VW doesn't have a kit for them either. In addition their service dept. referred me to ECStuning.com. However, I've confirmed with an ECStuning parts/ sales rep they do NOT have a kit for the Atlas and have yet to build one for the 2021 or VW Atlas for that matter. Mann I thought my fab days where over =( LOL

#14 ·
I went through this back in the summer of last year. I bought my Cross Sport in FL, but live in Illinois. So there were no holes in the front bumper when I bought the car. First I thought I'd get one of those front tow eye kits to mount the plate on. Guess what? the tow eye has no threads, so you can't do that. then I thought that I'd use a plug in the threadless hole and mount the plate hardware on that. This proved to be a big "time sucker". After many plans failed I gave up and drilled the bumper. My only solace was I was able to mount it off-center (prefer that location) and used a drill bit that a standard plastic plug from the hardware store could pop into, just in case the laws change here. or I move to a more friendly state. Not that you asked, but save yourself a big headache and just drill, baby, drill!

#15 ·
I live in IL and just have not mounted my plate yet. 8 months and no ticket yet. It looks so good without a plate. I have not given up and maybe there would be a way to have someone weld a threaded nut to something behind the tow port cover. I definitely want the offset look.
In the meantime, I may have to zip tie it to the lower fascia grill or try the link below.

Has anyone looked into or tried this as an alternative?
No drill No holes License Plate Bracket Holder Mount Relocator – Store – Sly Brackets

#17 · (Edited)
Or this...

Disregard - I contacted this company and they do not have anything for the Atlas models.

#29 ·
I did NOT get the Leveler. I think the pictures of the installed holder give a good idea of how level the mounted plate will be.

We've had the Sly Bracket on for a year with many trips through an automatic car wash. The Sly Bracket is still straight and level as it was when first installed. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.