Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! We got our Atlas (SE w/ Technology & 4Motion) and factory tow bar installed. When I went to the dealer to pick up the 7 pin harness 7L0055305N, they told me that they need to install it and the wiring, and that it would be $500.

I have my own brake controller, and my last car was a 2011 Durango (Hemi) so I'm not a stranger to having to install this goofy 7 pin outlet, nor paying for the wiring to be activated (I actually installed the factory hitch & wiring on the durango) but this seems to be insane for a car with factory hitch installed.

I know I can order 7L0055305N from amazon ($16 shipped)

Is the wiring already there and activated since I got it with the hitch already installed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an SEL Premium and ordered the 7 pin adapter from Amazon. The wiring was already there. I suggest you open open the access panel to see if the wiring is there on your model. If so, it's a 5 minute install with the Amazon part. I only installed the 7 pin adaptor. I did not install an electronic brake controller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an SEL Premium and ordered the 7 pin adapter from Amazon. The wiring was already there. I suggest you open open the access panel to see if the wiring is there on your model. If so, it's a 5 minute install with the Amazon part. I only installed the 7 pin adaptor. I did not install an electronic brake controller.
Does this mean you didn't have to get your wiring enabled? I've been it on vwvortex for the Touareg that people needed to enable their wiring in vagcom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an SEL with the tow package. I purchased the 7-pin adapter from my dealer and it turned out to be the exact same one sold online--a Pollack, I think--but for a bit more money, of course. Anyway, when you remove the cover next to the hitch receiver you should see where the adapter should slide right in and then you just secure it. That's it, it is already wired.

That said, what requires a bit more work, but not $500s worth, is finding the connector for your brake controller. You have to find the plug-in for the brake controller by removing one or two panels from just inside the driver's side door--my VW tech showed me how to do this and there are YouTube videos you can watch as well. What you may still need to purchase is the wiring harness to connect from here to your brake controller. Easiest is to buy a wiring harness from Ebay (this one worked with my Tekonsha brake controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Atlas-Plug-and-Play-Trailer-Brake-Controller-Harness-/282966124788?oid=282882915529). You can also purchase parts from VW and find a helpful VW tech to fashion one (we did this as well) or do it yourself (if that's in your skill set). I don't have the part numbers handy or I'd post those. Both the tech-fashioned and eBay harnesses worked fine for us.

That's it. There is no having to "enable" your wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I installed the Pollack (p/n 7L0055305N, $14 on amazon) and towed home a new-to-us camper Sunday.

Even on the winding 2 lane roads through the mountains the Atlas was a competent towing vehicle. It had great power and comfort

We have a 3308 lbs popup camper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! We got our Atlas (SE w/ Technology & 4Motion) and factory tow bar installed. When I went to the dealer to pick up the 7 pin harness 7L0055305N, they told me that they need to install it and the wiring, and that it would be $500.

I have my own brake controller, and my last car was a 2011 Durango (Hemi) so I'm not a stranger to having to install this goofy 7 pin outlet, nor paying for the wiring to be activated (I actually installed the factory hitch & wiring on the durango) but this seems to be insane for a car with factory hitch installed.

I know I can order 7L0055305N from amazon ($16 shipped)

Is the wiring already there and activated since I got it with the hitch already installed?
Thank you, I installed the Pollack (p/n 7L0055305N, $14 on amazon) and towed home a new-to-us camper Sunday.

Even on the winding 2 lane roads through the mountains the Atlas was a competent towing vehicle. It had great power and comfort

We have a 3308 lbs popup camper.
Hello. I have purchased the Pollak 11-893P and plugged it in. It plugged in fine but when I used my plug in wiring tester the running lamps and both signals lights on the tester were flashing. Are you saying you just plugged your wiring adapter in it worked great ? The dealer told me I need to purchase there plug as you listed above and then have it programmed for about 160.00.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I heard in some situations people get stuck with a regular tow truck and no a flat bed. Always good to communicate ahead of time that it will be required. Owners that don't know any better about the potential harm done to their Atlas could be in for a hefty repair bill down the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I heard in some situations people get stuck with a regular tow truck and no a flat bed. Always good to communicate ahead of time that it will be required. Owners that don't know any better about the potential harm done to their Atlas could be in for a hefty repair bill down the road.
It is an adapter for the plug that is already there. One can plug to the one in there but it will be loose compared to being fixed with a swing cover. All those people that have towed with it never mentioned that it needed to be programed. I would call another dealer and check and I am sure the response would be just instal and that is it. It is for sure looks like some dealers want to rip off clients and when I asked for the part, the part department told me to just pick it up from amazon and install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Confusion about what I need to do to tow.

I have a 2019 SE V6 with 4 Motion, Tech package and factory tow hitch. I see many confusing statements about what I need to do to tow. I do not need trailer brakes. The hitch seems wired for a 7 pin electrical plug and all I think I need is the 7 pin receptacle. What's all this about wiring under the hood, programming, etc? Dealer says one thing (costly of course). Some posts say just Pollack adapter. Just towing a tent trailer and would use a 4-pin adapter. Thanks for any help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts