Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone, traded in a 2017 Kia Sorento SX, actually loved the car zero problems with 44K on it, but wanted something bigger. Was actually looking at the Kia Telluride, but they want an arm and a leg for them now. You're lucky if you can find one for MSRP, most dealers in my area wouldn't let them go for less than 1K over MSRP. Just wasn't going to pay MSRP for any car. Saw the Atlas and the sale and thought I'd give it a try. Then I read all the nightmarish issues the 2018's are having and the 2019's (although it's seems a bit better). I'm hoping I didn't make a huge mistake. Hoping VW fixed many of the earlier model issues in the 2020 (fingers crossed). Well I'm in it now, love the car, just hope it's dependable. Sort of makes me wonder why they went from 72K B to B warranty to 50K, it's almost as if they didn't have faith in their cars. Hoping I'm wrong, we'll see. Until then I'll enjoy driving it and keep my fingers crossed. Stay safe out there, hoping this virus thing will go away soon so we can all go back to our normal lives.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 6 year 72k warranty was a response to "dieselgate" plain and simple.
Don't let the forums scare you.
But with that sad, I have my fingers crossed for you too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe it was only marketing. VW sold a lot of Atlas models in 2019 and for me it was too good a deal to pass up, with $8k off list and a longer warranty. They had to do something due to the complaints with the first model year introduction, but aren't most first year introductions a little bumpy? Maybe the Atlas was a little worse than normal, but a lot of people on this forum have 2018's with no issues. I too looked at the Telluride, but didn't see the value..VW continued to pump the 2019's out of the TN plant which I took as a sign that they resolved a lot of their first year issues. My SE w/Tech was built in December 2019.
I like the car a lot and haven't had any issues..

·
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum drward15 & congrats on your Atlas and Thanks for sharing a picture :cool:

My only issue was the noisy Continental tires that went away with a set of Michieln Defenders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it was only marketing. VW sold a lot of Atlas models in 2019 and for me it was too good a deal to pass up, with $8k off list and a longer warranty. They had to do something due to the complaints with the first model year introduction, but aren't most first year introductions a little bumpy? Maybe the Atlas was a little worse than normal, but a lot of people on this forum have 2018's with no issues. I too looked at the Telluride, but didn't see the value..VW continued to pump the 2019's out of the TN plant which I took as a sign that they resolved a lot of their first year issues. My SE w/Tech was built in December 2019.
I like the car a lot and haven't had any issues..
Thanks Barry, yes I got about 8K off sticker as well on the 2020 with 0% for 72 and no payments for 6 months. Kind of hard to beat, almost too good to be true. That's what worries me (lol). Well hopefully you're right and they worked out some of the kinks after the first year run. Kind of weird that the 2020's only came out for like 3-4 months and now the 2021's are coming out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum drward15 & congrats on your Atlas and Thanks for sharing a picture :cool:

My only issue was the noisy Continental tires that went away with a set of Michieln Defenders.
Thanks, I have Pirellis on the car now. Haven't heard any noticeable noise yet, but then again I haven't driven it much since we're all locked in right now.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Thanks Barry, yes I got about 8K off sticker as well on the 2020 with 0% for 72 and no payments for 6 months. Kind of hard to beat, almost too good to be true. That's what worries me (lol). Well hopefully you're right and they worked out some of the kinks after the first year run. Kind of weird that the 2020's only came out for like 3-4 months and now the 2021's are coming out.
That's one **** of a gamble for an auto you sound you're not really sold on. Too late now to over think it and I will echo the others and hope you got a good one. 0% is great and that overall deal is def a great one... One thing I would not do unless you are in a financial pinch is take advantage of that no payments for 6 months option. You're atlas already took a min of 25% decrease the minute you drove it off the lot and their resale is not good at all. Obviously none of that matters if you plan to keep it for 5+ years or put a lot of money down( if not def ADD GAP INSURANCE NOW).

I think the warranty decrease was a combo of dieselgate without a doubt but we would all be crazy to think that all of the major issues the atlases have had didn't factor into the high risk of VW offering a longer warranty especially when the atlas really hasn't gotten great reviews in terms of reliability vs comparable models. The atlas is great in terms of style and space but reliability seems to be the major factor killing this model and it ranks last or near dead last in just about every write up.

Side note: Can you imagine the kick in the shorts people are going to take when they turn over their tellurides? KIAs have horrendous resale value and to pay over MSRP is insane for any depreciating asset.(unless its a true rare asset that will hold value well). The used market will not take that into account down the road. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Again, I hope you got a good one and you enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one **** of a gamble for an auto you sound you're not really sold on. Too late now to over think it and I will echo the others and hope you got a good one. 0% is great and that overall deal is def a great one... One thing I would not do unless you are in a financial pinch is take advantage of that no payments for 6 months option. You're atlas already took a min of 25% decrease the minute you drove it off the lot and their resale is not good at all. Obviously none of that matters if you plan to keep it for 5+ years or put a lot of money down( if not def ADD GAP INSURANCE NOW).

I think the warranty decrease was a combo of dieselgate without a doubt but we would all be crazy to think that all of the major issues the atlases have had didn't factor into the high risk of VW offering a longer warranty especially when the atlas really hasn't gotten great reviews in terms of reliability vs comparable models. The atlas is great in terms of style and space but reliability seems to be the major factor killing this model and it ranks last or near dead last in just about every write up.

Side note: Can you imagine the kick in the shorts people are going to take when they turn over their tellurides? KIAs have horrendous resale value and to pay over MSRP is insane for any depreciating asset.(unless its a true rare asset that will hold value well). The used market will not take that into account down the road. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Again, I hope you got a good one and you enjoy your new ride.
Yes, hoping some of the issues were resolved in the 2020 models, I've also seen a few class action lawsuits for sunroof problems (leaking) and many complaints about the autonomous breaking concerns. All cars have issues of some sort, but hopefully I won't have any major problems or ongoing lingering problems. I did purchase GAP insurance and I also put 4K down on the vehicle and intend to put a chunk more on after may first payment is due in September, since I'll be putting aside the money for my car payments. Yes the Tellurides will have hard resales after paying stick or above. Kind of like purchasing an overpriced Mercedes that loses huge value overtime. Do you own a VW?

·
Banned
109 Posts
Yes, hoping some of the issues were resolved in the 2020 models, I've also seen a few class action lawsuits for sunroof problems (leaking) and many complaints about the autonomous breaking concerns. All cars have issues of some sort, but hopefully I won't have any major problems or ongoing lingering problems. I did purchase GAP insurance and I also put 4K down on the vehicle and intend to put a chunk more on after may first payment is due in September, since I'll be putting aside the money for my car payments. Yes the Tellurides will have hard resales after paying stick or above. Kind of like purchasing an overpriced Mercedes that loses huge value overtime. Do you own a VW?
I used to own a 2019 atlas 4 motion se/tech rline for 13 months (Same color as yours). Was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I drive a lot for work so I would use it on my longer trips but it was mostly used for a kid hauler. easy use. We put 35k on it in 13 months that included a cross country road trip. VW completely screwed us as far as I am concerned and couldn't have cared less we had a lemon. I contacted an attorney and he was shocked that wouldn't just buy it back to avoid the headaches. Ultimately my wife and I were tired of the wasted time in dealing with VW and the service dept so we dumped it. Wrote a check for $5k to get rid of it. It was worth taking the hit then because the value of the atlas is comparable to an anchor.

1: never ending coolant issues that after months resulted in a $13K warranty repair for head gasket, internal thermostat was seized, and it was leaking oil because there was warped housings of some sort.
2: replaced leaking transfer case ( bevel box)
3: replaced seat belt buckle
4: replaced rear climate control screen
5: replaced front sway bar links
6: replaced push button start mechanism
7: It was in multiple time with no true remedy for over sensitive front crash detection that resulted in the car slamming the brakes on multiple different occasions when I would be in the center lane and cars in the right lane would slow down to turn.

I get that all makes have there fair share of bad production runs but I feel like the Atlas had 2-3x as many and the reports show that and so does the carfax reports of a lot of used atlases. I looked up for fun the used atlases in my area when we sold ours and it was something like 60% of the ones for sale had already had major engine work done. Mainly head gaskets and catalytic converters .

They hit a home run with the design but struck out with the under powered drive train and reliability so far. We had such high hopes and were left extremely disappointed. Very expensive mistake! I truly hope you get to enjoy yours trouble free. There is a lot to like about the atlas when you get a good one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, at this point I guess it's just a crap shoot and I hope I didn't get a bad one. Any reason you couldn't claim it as a lemon? Is it running now? Any issues with the sun roof? Pain's me to ask these questions because I'm worried about a vehicle I just purchased with less than 100 miles on it, but it seems I should prepare for the worst and hope of the best.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Thanks, at this point I guess it's just a crap shoot and I hope I didn't get a bad one. Any reason you couldn't claim it as a lemon? Is it running now? Any issues with the sun roof? Pain's me to ask these questions because I'm worried about a vehicle I just purchased with less than 100 miles on it, but it seems I should prepare for the worst and hope of the best.
Don’t sweat it until you have an issue, then just use the warranty. I was simply at the point I was tired of using it and wasting my time and money on a car I didn’t have confidence in.
Sunroof; I didn’t get one because did the reviews.
lemon: we chose to just sell it instead of proceeding. No doubt we would have won something but with the miles we put on ours it was not much benefit here and I didn’t want another one.
Running now? Yeah, it was fixed before I sold it to carvana. No idea where it is now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree, not going to worry about something that hasn't happened yet, but as you stated VW missed the opportunity in the US market to put out a good quality product and gain a good reputation on an otherwise good vehicle. Well, consider yourself lucky that you were able to sell it to Carvana now, looks like they are predicting 15% or more reductions on the prices of used vehicle over the next few months. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
Are you implying that you should chop it up? Viva Italia, lived in Italy for a few years, half Italian myself family from Trieste.
Pic=grinding an axe. Draw your own conclusions

·
Banned
109 Posts
Pic=grinding an axe. Draw your own conclusions
Id love nothing more than VW to fold completely to be completely honest. Its a large Axe that costs me about $13k in wasted money. Typical case of the big corp screwing over the customer. Shady company with a history to warrant the reputation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts