Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member and bought Atlas SEL 4 motion 10 months ago. It has 3800 miles right now and haven't experienced any problems yet. As in 2 months, it's going to be 1 year since I bought Atlas, should I go for regular maintenance of oil and filter change or wait for 10000 mile mark. Also is it a good idea to do tire rotation and balance after 5000 miles or wait for 10,000 miles, as recommended by Volkswagen. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats on getting an Atlas.
I have heard from many mechanics that sometimes oil wears down well before these high mile service periods.
Checking the oil yourself is the best solution.

·
Super Moderator
216 Posts
Per the manual, you should change your oil at 1 year regardless of mileage. I would just do the tire at the same time. Most are reaching 10K before the 1 year mark.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, U don't Drive Much

Hello, I am a new member and bought Atlas SEL 4 motion 10 months ago. It has 3800 miles right now and haven't experienced any problems yet. As in 2 months, it's going to be 1 year since I bought Atlas, should I go for regular maintenance of oil and filter change or wait for 10000 mile mark. Also is it a good idea to do tire rotation and balance after 5000 miles or wait for 10,000 miles, as recommended by Volkswagen. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.
At the rate u put miles on, 380 per month or less then 100 miles per week, it would take u 2+ years to reach 10K. Suggest u do maintenance according to time not miles driven.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I will check the oil once hit 5000 miles/1 year and will show the tires to my local tire guy as well. I used to drive a lot for work, but in last few years, working mostly remote, so not driving much.

Did you guys go to VW dealer for oil change and tire rotation or any local mechanic. I don't have a good feeling about dropping my car at dealer for whole day for 1 hour work.

·
Super Moderator
216 Posts
To me, with a brand new vehicle under warranty, it's the dealer for me. It's about a hundred bucks for an oil change/rotation with the proper oil/filter - does your independent even know what VW502 oil is? Maybe. Maybe not. You also get any service campaigns, recalls, etc. handled. It's worth a day of your time once a year. It's good insurance to me and I am a do-it-yourselfer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the reply. I will take it to dealer once hit 5000 miles for oil change and tire rotation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts