Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations, advice, i think 10k miles in between oil changes is to much, my sales person reassures me it’s ok but I think 5-6k is where I’m comfortable at and am more than willing to pay for the extra service. My Atlas 2.0 has 3k on it now, its a little on the dark side at 3k and has used just a slight amount of oil, I’m thinking change at 5k then at 10k go with the really good synthetic and change at 5-6k after that. I’m not a fan of the Castrol that’s in it now.

·
Registered
2021 VW SEL R LINE 4MOTION
10 Posts
Looking for recommendations, advice, i think 10k miles in between oil changes is to much, my sales person reassures me it’s ok but I think 5-6k is where I’m comfortable at and am more than willing to pay for the extra service. My Atlas 2.0 has 3k on it now, its a little on the dark side at 3k and has used just a slight amount of oil, I’m thinking change at 5k then at 10k go with the really good synthetic and change at 5-6k after that. I’m not a fan of the Castrol that’s in it now.
I agree with the 5-6k oil change too. Mostly depends how hard you push that 2.0L and the environment your mostly in too.
I had a pre-owned 02' VR6 24V Bora/Jetta and always used a fully synthetic Royal Purple. I learned most Euro car owners preferred this brand oil (at least in Hawaii where the weather is mostly sunny year-round. Sorry I can't remember the viscosity specs since it was over 12 years ago but, I do remember that VR6 purred lovley with the RP brand oil. I never used another brand oil for that VW since the first oil change.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with the 5-6k oil change too. Mostly depends how hard you push that 2.0L and the environment your mostly in too.
I had a pre-owned 02' VR6 24V Bora/Jetta and always used a fully synthetic Royal Purple. I learned most Euro car owners preferred this brand oil (at least in Hawaii where the weather is mostly sunny year-round. Sorry I can't remember the viscosity specs since it was over 12 years ago but, I do remember that VR6 purred lovley with the RP brand oil. I never used another brand oil for that VW since the first oil change.

Lived there (Hawaii-Oahu) for 3 years. Had a 81 and 84 Jetta. Used nothing both Castrol 10-30 and changed filter/oil every 3k miles. Not because it was "sunny" but because of all the STOP AND GO traffic. Yes, it's pretty warm there (not Africa hot like Mississippi, LA, TX or FL but hot). Stop and go is hard on the motor but that was then, this is now. My 2013 VW TDi, every 10k. My 2011 Town/Country mini van, every 8k. My 09 Jeep, every 6k. But I'm in Michigan now and hwy/city driving is 50/50. My 2019 Atlas is 10k, but they say 1 year also. I keep getting alerts to change my oil. It's been a year, but the 10k oil changed only has 2k miles on it. Looks good. With todays blend, it's not like it was back in the 80/90's where it's 3k between every oil change. Or every 3 months as some would say. As long as you follow your manufacture recommendations, no need to worry about warranty being voided. My 2019 has 12k on it now and it's 2 years old next month. I don't plan on changing the oil till it's the color of maple syrup or I hit 20k. It's kept in the garage fwiw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just follow the recommendations. The VW engineers aren’t going to tell you to change the oil only every 10,000 miles and then honor an engine warranty if they weren’t 100% convinced that the proper oil would protect foe that duration. Check if there are 2 or 3 oil change intervals based on different driving scenarios (as mentioned in another post), like severe duty. The important thing is to note that you MUST use the correct oil. I use a strip edge, but you have to do your homework to make sure your oil adheres to the 502 or whatever number standard. That’s how they can verify your oil will be good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use Mobil 1 Euro formula 0W40 synthetic and change @7500 miles. 10k on synthetic is not going to kill it according to VW. Since it doesn't break down like conventional oil.

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
Color tells you zero here. 5K is a good number for a lot of folks. 10K works and is backed by lots of used oil analysis indicating that the oil was ok at this interval. Why aren't you a fan of the Castrol? Current Atlases all come with Mobil products (they switched a while ago). Remember on VWs - approvals trump viscosity so it is likely a VW504 00 approval yours takes (I don't think any call for the 502 anymore).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts