Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a first time owner of an vw atlas 2.0 se with tech. I bought it 3 months ago and i put 7k miles. I smell the exhaust in the cabin periodically. I noticed it a couple of weeks after i bought the car. I think having the heat on makes a difference. Does anyone else have this issue and can it be fixed?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere, though trying to find it can prove difficult. You should have this addressed asap because you don't want to be breathing in carbon monoxide. Your dealer should have a bunch of tests they can do to try and source the leak.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you sure its exhaust smell and not rust proofing that's coming through. Sometimes people mistake rust proofing smell for gasoline. At times they can smell alike when heated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If its coming through your vents that suggests there is a leak somewhere in the engine bay. After 7k miles most of the factory sprays should have worn off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The smell definitely comes from the vents. I am trying to figure out what exactly makes it occur but since it is intermittent, I can't figure it out yet. The other day my son said that it smelled pretty bad and I had to turn off the heat and open the windows. Usually it happens when the heat is on and the AC light is on and is more apparent when I am stopped. I have my temperature set to 75. Hopefully I can pin point exactly how it happens because I went to a dealership last week and the person did not even allow my car to be seen by a technician. He said since he could not smell it at that time, he did not want to waist the technicians time. I tried to talk to him and change his mind but he would not take the car to the back so I left. I think I am going to another dealership next time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The smell definitely comes from the vents. I am trying to figure out what exactly makes it occur but since it is intermittent, I can't figure it out yet. The other day my son said that it smelled pretty bad and I had to turn off the heat and open the windows. Usually it happens when the heat is on and the AC light is on and is more apparent when I am stopped. I have my temperature set to 75. Hopefully I can pin point exactly how it happens because I went to a dealership last week and the person did not even allow my car to be seen by a technician. He said since he could not smell it at that time, he did not want to waist the technicians time. I tried to talk to him and change his mind but he would not take the car to the back so I left. I think I am going to another dealership next time.
If they're that impatient or unwilling to help then I suggest finding a different dealership. Rust proofing would be the first to come to mind and a quick road test would help them confirm it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts