Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, just got told the diagnosis on our 1 month old 2021.5 Atlas is one bad fuel injector. I'm shocked they aren't changing all of them, but if another one goes out, you can bet I'll be asking for all of them to be changed as now I wonder if our vehicle was part of the "bad batch" that has been discussed. We should get it back by this Friday and will see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am glad that the dealer swapped the engine and made it right for you. You hear all the bad stuff on this forums, and it makes it seem like the problems are everywhere, but they sell a lot more Atlas than there are forum members, so there is a bunch of people driving out there that are not posting here.

BTW, my 2021.5 so far has been pretty good. I've had a couple little quirks with the radio, but nothing a "reboot" didn't fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well 1 month since the bad fuel injector was fixed. I was told by the dealership that they will only replace them if they are indeed found to be faulty, even though they KNOW that there was a bad batch out there. So now I worry and wait to see if I have other faulty ones or just that one. I am still not planning any long road trips until at least many months from now because I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I love our Atlas, even though gas mileage isn't so great (bring back Trump gas prices!), but more concerned about long-term reliability still. We shall see.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have yet to be told what the issue is that caused the flashing engine light, steady-on ECP light, and rough engine feel. I did mention that I found a wonderful forum that discussed things like a bad batch of fuel injectors and head gaskets, which the service manager stated could be the issue that it's not really common.
I really wanted this car, even with it's crummy gas mileage, as it checked off every box otherwise. I'll post an update soon
Hi there! My mom and I just had this same exact issue last night. We had gone on a day trip, about 200 miles round trip, and were less than 30 miles from home. All of a sudden, after trying to merge with traffic on I95, her engine light came on. Couple seconds later, it switched off but the EPC light came on. It stayed on while the engine started feeling strange, like the car was shaking as though it had a flat but after pulling over safely, I checked tires and they were fine. EPC stayed on, though. We had to have it towed to our VW dealer. Waiting for any details on what's wrong still. Will keep you updated.
BTW she has a 2021 VW Atlas. Not sure if its top of line. That's all I know about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bree, sorry y'all had to go through that. It is scary when it happens all of a sudden and of course having a new car you don't expect it as you would an older one. Glad you were able to pull it off the highway and are okay.

Ours has been fine since the one bad injector was fixed, so I hope yours will be okay too. It can be a major repair depending on which injector they have to replace, so be sure to monitor how your car is running after the repair.

Even though I was able to finally reach 18MPG the first few days after the repair, I've now yet to get above 16MPG unless it is completely highway miles for a long time. If gas wasn't so darn expensive now, I might not be as upset about that. I'd honestly love to hear if anyone has ever gotten the sales pitch of 23MPG on the highway?

It's a great car otherwise, but this early engine failure has given me anxiety when thinking of longer trips away. I'm sure I'll relax about it over time so long as the car has no major issues again for a while.

Hang in there Atlas brothers and sisters :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bree, sorry y'all had to go through that. It is scary when it happens all of a sudden and of course having a new car you don't expect it as you would an older one. Glad you were able to pull it off the highway and are okay.

Ours has been fine since the one bad injector was fixed, so I hope yours will be okay too. It can be a major repair depending on which injector they have to replace, so be sure to monitor how your car is running after the repair.

Even though I was able to finally reach 18MPG the first few days after the repair, I've now yet to get above 16MPG unless it is completely highway miles for a long time. If gas wasn't so darn expensive now, I might not be as upset about that. I'd honestly love to hear if anyone has ever gotten the sales pitch of 23MPG on the highway?

It's a great car otherwise, but this early engine failure has given me anxiety when thinking of longer trips away. I'm sure I'll relax about it over time so long as the car has no major issues again for a while.

Hang in there Atlas brothers and sisters :)
Thank you for your kind words. My mom and I were quite scared and worried last night. We were stuck on the side of the interstate for more than 90 minutes, waiting for the tow truck. But the roadside assistance folks and her insurance company were extremely kind and helpful. They even sent us a sheriff's deputy to sit and wait behind us with his flashing lights on. That made my mom feel better, I'm sure. It was also getting dark and was raining, too. Not fun!

But, all in all, we made it through this experience together and are just waiting to find out what the issue is. I'm hoping for her sake it won't be anything major. I'll keep everyone updated.
God bless!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, just got told the diagnosis on our 1 month old 2021.5 Atlas is one bad fuel injector. I'm shocked they aren't changing all of them, but if another one goes out, you can bet I'll be asking for all of them to be changed as now I wonder if our vehicle was part of the "bad batch" that has been discussed. We should get it back by this Friday and will see how it goes from there.
Well, SLK, it looks like my mom has the same exact issue has you. And a few others on this forum. It is a bad fuel injector. Is this like a bad batch or something? I just don't understand how or why this would happen to a nearly brand new vehicle that has less than 7,000 miles on it. Anyways, she isn't going to get her car back until Tuesday. If I can, I'll post an update in a few weeks to let everyone know what's happening. Thanks everyone for all the information and updates.
God bless y'all! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, SLK, it looks like my mom has the same exact issue has you. And a few others on this forum. It is a bad fuel injector. Is this like a bad batch or something? I just don't understand how or why this would happen to a nearly brand new vehicle that has less than 7,000 miles on it. Anyways, she isn't going to get her car back until Tuesday. If I can, I'll post an update in a few weeks to let everyone know what's happening. Thanks everyone for all the information and updates.
God bless y'all! ;)
Same thing happened to me today in my 2021.5 SEL Premium R Line. I thought I had a flat on side streets. Had it towed. I called 3 dealers and 2 of the 3 said they have a 14 day wait before they can inspect the vehicle but found one that can inspect it in 2-3 days so I towed it there. How long did it take from diagnosis to repair for you? I’m worried because I’m moving out of state in 2 weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me today in my 2021.5 SEL Premium R Line. I thought I had a flat on side streets. Had it towed. I called 3 dealers and 2 of the 3 said they have a 14 day wait before they can inspect the vehicle but found one that can inspect it in 2-3 days so I towed it there. How long did it take from diagnosis to repair for you? I’m worried because I’m moving out of state in 2 weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️
Hi, Kputrus! I'm so sorry to hear you are having the same issues as the rest of us. Well, I suppose the time it takes from diagnosis to repair would depend upon where you live and the dealer you took it to. My mom's car was finished within about 8 days. Hopefully, it won't take any longer than that for you since you're moving. It will also depend on what's wrong with your car and whether or not a part/parts need to be ordered. My mom's car works great now. They replaced the bad fuel injector and now all is fine. Hope it stays that way for her sake. I wish you all the best and good luck!! Keep us posted!;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Kputrus! I'm so sorry to hear you are having the same issues as the rest of us. Well, I suppose the time it takes from diagnosis to repair would depend upon where you live and the dealer you took it to. My mom's car was finished within about 8 days. Hopefully, it won't take any longer than that for you since you're moving. It will also depend on what's wrong with your car and whether or not a part/parts need to be ordered. My mom's car works great now. They replaced the bad fuel injector and now all is fine. Hope it stays that way for her sake. I wish you all the best and good luck!! Keep us posted!;)
Thank for the reply and well wishes! Fingers crossed they can diagnose quickly. I will certainly post an update once we know more. Nothing like feel your new car is a POS lol glad to hear your moms car is running well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have yet to be told what the issue is that caused the flashing engine light, steady-on ECP light, and rough engine feel. I did mention that I found a wonderful forum that discussed things like a bad batch of fuel injectors and head gaskets, which the service manager stated could be the issue that it's not really common.
I really wanted this car, even with it's crummy gas mileage, as it checked off every box otherwise. I'll post an update soon
This just happened to me today. Less than 13k miles on it. Stranded out of state 2 days before Christmas with no rental cars available, no loaners, etc. so darn angry right now!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, dealership has had Altas this time going on two weeks now for the EPC light being on. In the last 7 months, head gasket has been replaced. Work was done with something on transmission, and the latest was dealing with the cam in engine. All because of EPC light being on. It has been to dealership 7 times now within about 7 months all for EPC light. They have no idea what is causing it except the latest code seems to Indicate indicate Loss of oil pressure, which is why work was done on the cam. Just got a call from dealership this morning and they been in touch with VW America and the decision has been made to replace the engine. The new engine arrived this morning from Tenn. and dealership said I should have Atlas back by this Friday, we hope. If the EPC light comes after new engine then we will pursue Legal action against VW either Under lemon law or other actions. So far VW has been great to deal with. Our Atlas has 22,000 miles, it is a 2019 Atlas 4 motion premium select with all the bells and whistles. It’s was $51,000 new. we have not found another SUV with has much room in front and second row seats as the Atlas and would like to keep. So we will wait and see, and keep you all posted.
Ugh, Sorry to hear all that. I totally agree with the great bells and whistles and roominess, thats the reason we decided to get our 2022 VW Atlas, SEL Premium R-Line. Now @1000miles having the #6 cylinder fuel injector replaced, OMG. Really disappointed to say the least, I ask, how so in todays day and age of technology and manufacturing can this be, now they are blaming Covid-19 for the poor quality, unbelievable, its the injector manufacturer for years now, WTF. We had a cream puff beetle and traded it in towards this along with my a no issue Japanese Toyota Camry. This will be our one and done new VW if this becomes a nightmare. VW always had a bad rap, but I said, lets be positive, and buy a new one, especially with the pro’s of the Atlas, I had faith going in for the new ride which is over $60K with the price gouging fees and extended warranty. Our VW dealership has been great thus far in Sarasota, FL, which is a Godsend, but its Corporate VW that dictates how they proceed with our repairs. There are numerous reasons why I decided on the Volkswagen Atlas, and one of them worth mentioning is the fact that it has a German engine, a Japanese transmission, and is assembled in the USA, so for me, it has the best of the best, along with the great interior features, and roominess. Hopefully its just a one and done for us, if it becomes a chronic problem, VW will need to make the right decision and take care of the customer, otherwise its the negative reviews, forums, reputation that destroys a business

41 - 52 of 52 Posts