Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle before as I am with my 2019 Atlas. I have a 2019 Atlas Sel 4 motion premium with all the bells and whistles. Can’t seem to keep it out of service center. EPC light has now come on for the 6th time within about 10 months. First time they said radiator was low at about 7,000 miles. Filled with fluid and sent us on our way. About 1000 miles later EPC light back on, this time I am told head gasket needs replaced. Car tied up for several weeks. Get car back seems ok. About 2500 miles later EPC light back on. This time told sensor out of adjustment. About another 1000 miles and car back in service center, EPC light back on. Ran system checks said nothing wrong light is out. About another 2000 miles EPC light back on. This time car in for service about 3 weeks. Told problems with something in transmission. Had VW regional rep involved. Pick car up. About another 1000 miles and dam EPC light back on. my wife has had it with this vehicle. It can’t be trusted. Started looking for a replacement vehicle today, and no it will not be a VW. What a piece of junk this Atlas Is.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Your description indicates the possibility to pursue this as a "lemon law" for your state. You will need to check your state's requirements - typically it's a total time out of service with a time window (1 year etc.) OR X amount of times in for the same problem (3 times for coolant leak for instance). Be careful; this isn't often easy to meet as each time you go may be categorized differently by the dealer. Some have had success threatening lemon law with VWoA to get them to start a buy-back. Ok, now onto your issues:

2x for coolant leak (know issues) - fixed with head gasket

What sensor was out of adjustment? fixed?

What was wrong with the transmission? fixed?

Each time you get an CEL, you should have a code/codes - important to see what those are and they should be listed on the work orders.

What is the current CEL for?

I can understand the frustration - but the reality is they will try to fix the car before they buy you out. Based on what you've said, you should meet the out of service requirement for your state's lemon law easily.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sensor was an unknown. They said that they could not get any codes for EPC light and did sensor adjustment on front sensors. Transmission was also suppose to be because of EPC light being on. They told me the VW rep said there was a problem with something in the transmission and they had to pull the trans. The papers are I. The car as to what they actually did to trans. They had car for 3 weeks this time. Dont know about CEL, the light we get is a EPC. It seems to indicate something with the start stop Feature. The engine indicator lights on dash showing fault just a little to right of front of vehicle. Is the same thing every time. Every time we take it in we are told no codes detected. Just to be clear, we did not have a coolant leak. They told us that was what they found that the head gasket was bad. Fluid level was not low and oil look clean. I am started to think there is either a short in the system or there is a bad computer. I have not taken the atlas in For the latest EPC light. service Center keep telling us car is safe to drive as long as only EPC is only thing on. They tell us to drive it. I don’t think I would go lemon law anyway. We paid cash for Atlas and we would loose money going lemon law. We could do better shopping around with car sales hurting we can get a good price on a Lexus right now, or we might go GM. Also thought about Subaru. Lots of options. Will not buy another VW product

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't they replace the car for you? I friend of mine had bluetooth problems which could not be solved by VW dealership for a long time, and they replaced the whole car for him. It was a 2017 Passat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't they replace the car for you? I friend of mine had bluetooth problems which could not be solved by VW dealership for a long time, and they replaced the whole car for him. It was a 2017 Passat.
We have not even entered into any talks about replacingbthe Atlas. From what I keep hearing there seems to be a lot of problems with the Atlas. Ours is a 2019, I don’t think they would replace the car with a 2020 or a 2021 without more up front money. Been looking at a palisade, also Lexus and GMC Acadia Denali. Still not sure which direction I am going to go. I did contact service department yesterday and the atlas is going back I for EPC, just have to wait for them to contact me to set me up with a loaner. I told them the loaner needs to be either a Tiguan or another Atlas. I have to much trouble getting into a car with bad knees and hips Plus fighting stage 4 kidney cancer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well got Atlas back, was told reason for the EPC light this time was oil was a half quart low. I don’t buy the fact that the EPC light came on warning of oil 1/2 quart low and no other oil light came on. Anyway got Atlas back. Drove it one week to the day and EPC light back on. Atlas goes back to shop Thursday. I think this is now the 6th or 7th time Atlas has been in service center within about 7 months. Really getting old. VW doesn’t seem like they even care. Wife’s is fed up with car, says she will never buy another VW. I can’t say I blame her as it is her car. Guess we are going car shopping real soon for a replacement. I can’t wait to get rid of this $50,000 piece of junk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only time they said they got a code was the last time where they said it indicated Low oil. Other than that there has not been any codes, at least that’s what they tell me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd persue a Lemon Law complaint. I doubt dealer would be very helpful but your state consumer affairs should be able to help out. If nothing else it will get the dealer's attention. Good luck....sure glad we leased our 2019 SE

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, dealership has had Altas this time going on two weeks now for the EPC light being on. In the last 7 months, head gasket has been replaced. Work was done with something on transmission, and the latest was dealing with the cam in engine. All because of EPC light being on. It has been to dealership 7 times now within about 7 months all for EPC light. They have no idea what is causing it except the latest code seems to Indicate indicate Loss of oil pressure, which is why work was done on the cam. Just got a call from dealership this morning and they been in touch with VW America and the decision has been made to replace the engine. The new engine arrived this morning from Tenn. and dealership said I should have Atlas back by this Friday, we hope. If the EPC light comes after new engine then we will pursue Legal action against VW either Under lemon law or other actions. So far VW has been great to deal with. Our Atlas has 22,000 miles, it is a 2019 Atlas 4 motion premium select with all the bells and whistles. It’s was $51,000 new. we have not found another SUV with has much room in front and second row seats as the Atlas and would like to keep. So we will wait and see, and keep you all posted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sometimes it takes longer to fix things. I would go to another dealership. I don't think a faulty idiot light would qualify for a lemon law replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes it takes longer to fix things. I would go to another dealership. I don't think a faulty idiot light would qualify for a lemon law replacement.
Generally I would agree, however, the vehicle has been to dealership 7 times in 7 months for EPC. The EPC is not fault, there is a problem with vehicle they cannot find. Dealership not the problem. They been great, VW has been great. Three reps have been in contact with dealership on this problem. They know engine is losing oil pressure somewhere, causing the EPC light to come on, they just can’t find it. So yes this does qualify for the lemon law but not ready to go that way. We want our Atlas back and running correctly. We like the vehicle, it just can’t be trusted for a trip yet. VW reps have been great in helping

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Why the change of heart? It seemed by the first post you were really unhappy with it based on the issues you were having.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unhappy with the problem but was happy with car, just wanted it to run right. Just like anything else, if you buy something you expect it to work correctly and when it keeps having issues a person becomes discouraged. Doesn’t mean you really dislike it but more a result of the problems. The Atlas problems have all been the same, a problem with the EPC and being able the trust the vehicle. If the EPC light gets fix and they solve the problem, then yes I would gladly keep this vehicle. The dealership has been trying and just like anything else that is intermittent it’s hard to pin it down. This last time was the first it threw a code and indicated low oil pressure. After doing some work On vehicle the last two weeks the error code showed up again, this time the vehicle was still at dealership. They told me they had no idea why it was losing oil pressure and everything was checking out. That’s when I guess VW America decided to just replace the engine. Every time we have left the vehicle for repair dealer has gone out of there way to make sure we had a vehicle to drive. This time they gave us a Audi to use, nice vehicle. Just want our car fix and stay fixed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am surprised that you feel the dealership has been great when they haven’t solved the problem.
when the problem is an intermittent problem, it can be very difficult to pin it down, and I understand this. Not everything is cut and dry when dealing with electronics. They have worked with us and gone out of their way to take care of us. I have no complaints about dealership.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well pick up Atlas this afternoon l, will see how it goes. There a lot of information so not sure how this will come out. The dealer performed an output test and basic settings for cam adjusters and both passed. They check oil level and connectors and find no fault. They created a case with technical and recorded multiple cam adjustment readings and various RPM ranges. Looks like they were advised to remove cam drive gears and bridge and they inspected for wear or damage to seal rings on ends of cam causing loss of oil pressure at RPM range is over idle. They remove the timing chain and covers and necessary components and find damage at inner seal rings on intake and exhaust cams. They could not find missing seal ring pieces. Dealership then updated case with Volkswagen technical with pictures and findings. Dealership was advised to replace the engine due to contamination of the oil system. They replace the long block assembly assembled engine and transmission and installed it back into the car, top fluids, cleared the codes and test drove with no faults showing

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been driving Atlas for about 10 days now, so far, no EPC light. Hoping it stays that way. Everything seems to be working the way it should. Only time will tell. Will post an update in about a month.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts