Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a 2019 Atlas V6 To replace a Porsche Cayenne. Love this car, never liked the Porsche. Only issue. On initial acceleration there is a grinding noise up to about 2,500 RPM. It is most noticeable when starting on a hill. I know the car has electric cooling fan but it sounds like a bad fan clutch on an old car. Dealer said it is normal. Drove another v6 and it was not there. Possibly a bearing going bad in the turbo?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is normal. You can find out more about it in other posts in the forum. It seems worse (louder) on some cars than others, from what I can ascertain. I hear it on mine, but ignore it as it's been no big deal (had the car for 16 months now, and put 26,000 miles on it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Totally normal unfortunately. Bothers the heck out of me. But it's all over the forums and FB groups. VR6 doesn't have a turbo in the Atlas.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
There is a huge post here about this noise with all the info you need on the how/why. Just do a little looking/searching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In most of the cases this is your answer:

I’m still investigating mine - is it that or something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It only happens to my 2019 Atlas SEL 4Motion when driving through a neighborhood with stop signs. After every stop i hear the sound.
I love the video from Audi about the fly wheel. Best available tech! Lol

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
It only happens to my 2019 Atlas SEL 4Motion when driving through a neighborhood with stop signs. After every stop i hear the sound.
I love the video from Audi about the fly wheel. Best available tech! Lol
Did you read through all of this begining to end? It's good and I've used it as somewhat of a repository of info on this subject/issue/noise. It has your answer. It's simply that the trans is not downshifting to second/first at near stops so it stays in third (eco-focused trans tune) so you are taking off in third gear around 1K rpm..it's just grumpy about it..hahahaaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my wife a 2019 Atlas V6 To replace a Porsche Cayenne. Love this car, never liked the Porsche. Only issue. On initial acceleration there is a grinding noise up to about 2,500 RPM. It is most noticeable when starting on a hill. I know the car has electric cooling fan but it sounds like a bad fan clutch on an old car. Dealer said it is normal. Drove another v6 and it was not there. Possibly a bearing going bad in the turbo?
Clock spring was replaced for me on 2 separate occasions. There is a production problem with this part. Also, I had sway bar issues. My Atlas has been in the shop twice this year. I purchased this lemon in August 2019.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Clock spring was replaced for me on 2 separate occasions. There is a production problem with this part. Also, I had sway bar issues. My Atlas has been in the shop twice this year. I purchased this lemon in August 2019.
That is not the same issue/cause of the noise in this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts