Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 SEL Premium with 4 motion with about 95k Mike’s on it. Sometimes when coming to a stop at a red light or when maneuvering in a parking lot at slow speed, the engine RPMs get dragged down to where engine almost stalls or does stall. It feels like torque converter is not disengaging. This has been happening for quite some time but frequently in the last 10k miles. Any idea if this is a common issue? What could be the cause?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a 2018 SEL-P but with fewer miles (54K). I haven't experienced that problem and don't recall reading of anyone else who has, so I don't believe it is a common issue. Slow speed stalling can have a number of causes.

I would start with reading the OBD codes. That might indicate if there is a torque converter problem or something else like a bad injector or failed sensor somewhere. I think a torque converter not unlocking would exhibit as a shudder when slowing down - much like forgetting to downshift with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have a 2018 SEL-P but with fewer miles (54K). I haven't experienced that problem and don't recall reading of anyone else who has, so I don't believe it is a common issue. Slow speed stalling can have a number of causes.

I would start with reading the OBD codes. That might indicate if there is a torque converter problem or something else like a bad injector or failed sensor somewhere. I think a torque converter not unlocking would exhibit as a shudder when slowing down - much like forgetting to downshift with a manual transmission.
I just had the car at the dealership two days ago for this issue. They said it required an ECM update but didn’t even bother test driving the car. They did the update and there were no codes displayed. When I have checked the codes recently there have been none. The ECM update didn’t correct the issue. When the RPMs get dragged down, it does often shudder and either stalls out or returns to normal idle which is about 740 RPM. I’m going to take it to a different dealer as the one I’ve been going to is not good.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had the car at the dealership two days ago for this issue. They said it required an ECM update but didn’t even bother test driving the car. They did the update and there were no codes displayed. When I have checked the codes recently there have been none. The ECM update didn’t correct the issue. When the RPMs get dragged down, it does often shudder and either stalls out or returns to normal idle which is about 740 RPM. I’m going to take it to a different dealer as the one I’ve been going to is not good.
Thanks
I’ll add that when it is normally idling, the engine is very smooth and doesn’t appear to have any sort of fuel delivery issue or injection issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer time. An '18 should still be under warranty. Could be the start/stop system.
Hello, the car is not under warranty as I have 97k miles on it. I agree that this could be related to start/stop system however I have tested the car in both modes (start stop active or deactivated) and I get the same result of near-stall or stall either way. Will be taking it to local, reputable shop to evaluate. Will post an update when I get a diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, the car is not under warranty as I have 97k miles on it. I agree that this could be related to start/stop system however I have tested the car in both modes (start stop active or deactivated) and I get the same result of near-stall or stall either way. Will be taking it to local, reputable shop to evaluate. Will post an update when I get a diagnosis.
And I’ll add that I would never take it to a VW dealership while not under warranty. They over-bill and I do t trust them at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts