Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Atlas maintenance booklet says to replace the engine air filter every 60k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. This seems like an excessively long period, as I have usually replaced air filters on my other cars at least once a year. They can get quite dirty even in a year. I’ve had my 19 Atlas for one year, with about 8k miles and am thinking about changing the filter now.

·
205 Posts
I'd agree with Barry T on the fact that location plays a huge factor, With that being said I'll reserve comment on the K&N deal only because of the extreme dust in my desert location
and if it would become a warranty issue done the road.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
it really depends on your driving environment. I have a K&N reusable filter and service it twice a year, if it looks dirty. I do about 12K miles a year. I would recommend buying one. It will cost you about $54.
I go a long time on my K&Ns - 50K is what they recommend and mine don't get really dirty where we are. For the stock paper filter you just change it when it needs it. Just pull it annually and have a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd agree with Barry T on the fact that location plays a huge factor, With that being said I'll reserve comment on the K&N deal only because of the extreme dust in my desert location
and if it would become a warranty issue done the road.
Yeah, I was wondering if using a non-VW oem filter would affect the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering if using a non-VW oem filter would affect the warranty.
You can use any filter you want as a direct-replacement so Fram/whatever and maintain your warranty. The oiled filters are a bit of a grey area as they really aren't a direct-replacement in terms of their construction vs. the stocker. I always think about the warranty question like this: what could possible go wrong with something that would be covered under warranty that would ever raise the question if you were using a K&N? MAF sensor...maybe. Ok, so at worst you are on the hook for a hundred bucks and can easily DIY that. But, K&N will take it up with the dealer etc. per their warranty etc. if your warranty claim is denied based on the filter. I've had one in my Atlas for 3 years/30K miles with no drama. Can always run an AFe dryflow if that is a concern. K&N filters are a performance product and need to be maintained - if that is an issue then just use a paper throw-away filter.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas Cross Sport with Tech
11 Posts
I have put a K&N in every car I bought and they do not void the factory warranty and K&N will back that claim up.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I have put a K&N in every car I bought and they do not void the factory warranty and K&N will back that claim up.
Bingo. You may however get a fussy dealer with your MAF issue if they see the K&N but that just needs to be pushed up the chain. I've not heard of any MAF issues on these cars anyway.....a lot of that nonsense started when MAFs were failing normally and they would see a K&N and say "it's the K&N's fault" when in fact, the stupid parts were just shitty to start with. Also easy enough to swap out your paper one before going in if this concerns folks.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
bought a paper filter but returned it after realizing the long interval. will have do a visual on it and see how it looks. also replaced kn with paper filter on my genesis after reading this.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better) (nicoclub.com)
Some good info on K&Ns here. I've run them in all my car with zero drama. So much negative boogie-man stuff on line about K&Ns. I've read teh report you referenced and have made ref to it in these posts (I'm TiGeo on BITOG). UOAs all show no issue with my K&N:

Keep K&N or NOT ? | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Aftermarket air filter contributing to major engine damage | Bob Is The Oil Guy

The great filter debate. | Bob Is The Oil Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts