Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old one got closed and was told to create/rename it something other than just "recall" (personally didnt see anything wrong with it but im also not a admin). So I created this one so people that have this issue dont need to post to complain about it or say it happened to them..By now we ALL know its a issue and Volkswagen also recognizes it and will/has said Recall forthcoming(early May).

What id like to make this new thread about is solution/resolution and NEW info... We dont need to know how or if it effects you but how about in this thread we let other people know if they

1. since this came out mid to late March ish.... have you gotten this fixed aka has your harness/part come in youre now fixed and back on the road..reason I say this is I have heard some people before this became a recall get the part and get it fixed...but so far(and i didnt scour the entire forum so forgive it its happened..I just havent seen it)

Since this issue got made known and recall is forthcoming so since Mid March lets put a date of March 20 2021: Has anyone gotten their harness fixed /replaced and are now good ? this is so we can see(those of us with the harness issue that keep getting told they still dont have the part and have no idea when it will become available/they will get it) if the parts are still trickling in or totally stopped..AND also let us know if people start at some point between now and May that all of a sudden they start coming in.

2. Has Volkswagen contacted you or you them and offered any other resolution(that other board members may also be able to use to resolve this) for you to resolve the issue..lets say a buy back or trade up was offered.

3. Lets keep this thread going through the time the OFFICIAL recall comes out in early May so people can see if the harness is totally absent from inventory and no one is getting it fixed or its still trickling in or all of a sudden starts becoming available in grater quantity.

To start it I will say Ive recently checked (last week 4/12/22) and Volkswagen dealership said nothing yet. They did 2 weeks ago approve me for long term rental replacement while ours is at the dealership awaiting the part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old one got closed and was told to create/rename it something other than just "recall" (personally didnt see anything wrong with it but im also not a admin). So I created this one so people that have this issue dont need to post to complain about it or say it happened to them..By now we ALL know its a issue and Volkswagen also recognizes it and will/has said Recall forthcoming(early May).

What id like to make this new thread about is solution/resolution and NEW info... We dont need to know how or if it effects you but how about in this thread we let other people know if they

1. since this came out mid to late March ish.... have you gotten this fixed aka has your harness/part come in youre now fixed and back on the road..reason I say this is I have heard some people before this became a recall get the part and get it fixed...but so far(and i didnt scour the entire forum so forgive it its happened..I just havent seen it)

Since this issue got made known and recall is forthcoming so since Mid March lets put a date of March 20 2021: Has anyone gotten their harness fixed /replaced and are now good ? this is so we can see(those of us with the harness issue that keep getting told they still dont have the part and have no idea when it will become available/they will get it) if the parts are still trickling in or totally stopped..AND also let us know if people start at some point between now and May that all of a sudden they start coming in.

2. Has Volkswagen contacted you or you them and offered any other resolution(that other board members may also be able to use to resolve this) for you to resolve the issue..lets say a buy back or trade up was offered.

3. Lets keep this thread going through the time the OFFICIAL recall comes out in early May so people can see if the harness is totally absent from inventory and no one is getting it fixed or its still trickling in or all of a sudden starts becoming available in grater quantity.

To start it I will say Ive recently checked (last week 4/12/22) and Volkswagen dealership said nothing yet. They did 2 weeks ago approve me for long term rental replacement while ours is at the dealership awaiting the part.
Mines went to the dealer this past Monday and was told 4 to 6 weeks on the harness and that it was ordered but I don't believe that. I also wasn't offered the buyback but I did contact corporate about it since I've been having non stop issues out of my atlas since I got it. At this point I'm over this and all the non stop issues with it. I'd much rather be in a different vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be a while, the factory that makes the wire harnesses for VW is located close to Ukraine border and is closed indefinitely. Good luck.
Luckily its not hard to make and source harnesses from other places. My mother in law worked at a place that made them they made them for what ever they got a contract for..Military, Toasters, Auto makers, 4 wheelers, cash registers...what ever used or needed a harness they could do and sometimes they got emergency orders the company they dealt with would send them the specs and any special parts needed and then crank them out..I dont know how many they could make in a day/shift though never asked.

But just saying is its 100% possible to resource these relatively quickly and get them made in short order.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines went to the dealer this past Monday and was told 4 to 6 weeks on the harness and that it was ordered but I don't believe that. I also wasn't offered the buyback but I did contact corporate about it since I've been having non stop issues out of my atlas since I got it. At this point I'm over this and all the non stop issues with it. I'd much rather be in a different vehicle.
We would just like ours fixed to 100% and as long as VW can do that in a reasonable time from the time they finally admitted fault..im ok with that. That said if im still in this rental(mines supposedly been ordered and waiting on it since mid November) say at the end of May after they come out with the ""official" recall notification on the 10th of May...well I guess I need to see what they say the resolution and the date is by then and decide...we could end up just waiting on the part(if it seems like it could/would become available say within 60 days or less) OR ask them to buyback the vehicle if not.

We really like ours other than the issue with the harness..its the wives and she loves the looks of it and we like all the other stuff the Tech package brought..we just want it to work...Oh and other than harness related issues in the time we owned it and it was 100% from June of 21-early Nov 21(first 5 months) we had ZERO other issues then harness related ones.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I just had updated this 4 days ago today is Monday the 25 of April I last updated this Thurs April the 21. When I asked then at the dealership they looked it up and confirmed with the parts department that no new info and no updates as to availability. Jump forward 4 days till Monday the 25..get a call around 11AM with the Dealership saying we got the part in its already installed and the car is ready to go/be picked up...I was slightly astonished from Thurs late last week going from dont have it to getting a call Monday saying they got the part, its installed cars ready for pickup..

Now I will say pleasantly surprised. but surprised none the less.. so in 4 days went from having the long term rental and no idea when parts would come in to..having it fixed turning in the rental. Will let you know how it goes from here on out... parts were on order since(according to the paperwork) 11/12/21 just as a reference point have had the rental since late march.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please keep this thread going though as a help to others also awaiting this part..im assuming they are still slowly coming in BUT that VW actually has no idea when they willg et them i mean the guy literally called the parts Dept when i was there last Thurs and asked and the guy said none here and no idea when we will get any...so thats Friday(a business day and then the weekend and monday i get called and get told its in, installed and fixed...they didnt know 1 day out they would get it..so that tells me that they are around and getting shipped/coming in.

My wife said you probably got that all of a sudden because they have been paying for a rental for a month lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fast forward to May 3rd, its been really good post door harness repair..its not been long of course but no other issues since the harness deal. Runs,Drives great anyone else get theirs fixed

also, and this is very dealer specific im assuming but im also not sure, I looked at the work order and when reading it it said "customer requests a loaner vehicle" and that same day I requested it they gave me one..so those that may want a loaner..specifically request ona and tell them you dont feel safe in your Atlas with the door harness/air bag issue...thats what i said and..loaner 3 hours later...

Im seriously thinking that this also may be why i got the harness quicker(well not quicker as it was supposedly on order since November) but maybe suddenly after i had the loaner...like the wife said maybe they were more "motivated" to get the harness fixed because they were paying for a long term loaner...But I do give VW props and this dealership props as I didnt buy the vehicle from them but they still covered me for the loaner and stuff...so that made me happy.. Now I just hope everything else goes well/stays good. so far all good post repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2021 Atlas SEL just began acting up this week. Not that it matters but we've had 19K+ of enjoying this vehicle without any issues at all. Two days ago, dash lights up that auto start/stop disabled, lane keep assist disabled(we have it disabled anyway) check engine light and the passenger window rolled down about 4". It's happened twice since then. Have appointment at dealership next week and service tech said it sounds like the harness recall issue. We have not had the emergency braking issue some have had. He was honest and said they don't have a fix. My wife asked well what are we supposed to do and he said they'd diagnose and give us a long-term loaner. Hopefully it's not a POS small vehicle because we bought something Atlas sized for a reason. Hopefully Viper2112, yours getting repaired recently is an indicator parts are becoming available but I realize that's probably wishful thinking. I'll update here once we learn more so others know what to expect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife's 2021 Atlas SEL just began acting up this week. Not that it matters but we've had 19K+ of enjoying this vehicle without any issues at all. Two days ago, dash lights up that auto start/stop disabled, lane keep assist disabled(we have it disabled anyway) check engine light and the passenger window rolled down about 4". It's happened twice since then. Have appointment at dealership next week and service tech said it sounds like the harness recall issue. We have not had the emergency braking issue some have had. He was honest and said they don't have a fix. My wife asked well what are we supposed to do and he said they'd diagnose and give us a long-term loaner. Hopefully it's not a POS small vehicle because we bought something Atlas sized for a reason. Hopefully Viper2112, yours getting repaired recently is an indicator parts are becoming available but I realize that's probably wishful thinking. I'll update here once we learn more so others know what to expect.
Yeah mine was on order since November..my issues popped up around then..just a little at first then more till in Jan it was almost all the time. Then in late March or Early April i requested a loaner as i didnt feel it was safe OR reliable to drive.. 3 days before the part was installed they didnt know when they would get it or if it was even available(Thurs) then all of a sudden Monday its fixed...this leads me to believe even though it may be available...even the dealerships have no idea when they will get them in so if they say "i dont know"..you could literally have it 1-3 days after and they wont know lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah mine was on order since November..my issues popped up around then..just a little at first then more till in Jan it was almost all the time. Then in late March or Early April i requested a loaner as i didnt feel it was safe OR reliable to drive.. 3 days before the part was installed they didnt know when they would get it or if it was even available(Thurs) then all of a sudden Monday its fixed...this leads me to believe even though it may be available...even the dealerships have no idea when they will get them in so if they say "i dont know"..you could literally have it 1-3 days after and they wont know lol.
Hi again. I went to the shop 2 weeks ago about my harness. Ended up taking my car back because they put me in a terrible rental smaller than my cross sport. Called yesterday to get an update on the part and they said vw stated that it would be shipped out in the next few days but it's coming from overseas so maybe about 2 and a half weeks which I don't believe. Car is doing all kinda crazy things but I didn't want it sitting on the lot which could cause even more issues. I'm also waiting to hear back from corporate to let me know if they will buy it back or not. I've been having non stop issues with this car 2 weeks after i purchased it. I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again. I went to the shop 2 weeks ago about my harness. Ended up taking my car back because they put me in a terrible rental smaller than my cross sport. Called yesterday to get an update on the part and they said vw stated that it would be shipped out in the next few days but it's coming from overseas so maybe about 2 and a half weeks which I don't believe. Car is doing all kinda crazy things but I didn't want it sitting on the lot which could cause even more issues. I'm also waiting to hear back from corporate to let me know if they will buy it back or not. I've been having non stop issues with this car 2 weeks after i purchased it. I'll keep everyone updated.
Mine was at the dealership for abut 5 weeks..the Monday they called me and said it was ready/fixed was the start of 5th week at dealership . luckily they got me another Atlas(with no issues) as a loaner from Enterprise i think. only difference was it was a 2WD one ours was AWD but its spring and no snow so we didnt care.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2022 SE Tech is 5 months old and now locks and unlocks doors when we drive it. It points to the fact that I might have a harness problem. My wife did not feel safe driving it knowing that it might be interfering with safety systems and we do not even know it. All things considered, I took a car to a dealer and they said: "Cannot reproduce the problem", what do you guys do to prove to them? I am not sure I can catch the moment when it unlocks while we drive it. I have taken it into another brand to get rid of it, and they would not accept it into a trade-in saying it is not sellable until recall is performed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2022 SE Tech is 5 months old and now locks and unlocks doors when we drive it. It points to the fact that I might have a harness problem. My wife did not feel safe driving it knowing that it might be interfering with safety systems and we do not even know it. All things considered, I took a car to a dealer and they said: "Cannot reproduce the problem", what do you guys do to prove to them? I am not sure I can catch the moment when it unlocks while we drive it. I have taken it into another brand to get rid of it, and they would not accept it into a trade-in saying it is not sellable until recall is performed.
yup keep a eye on it and let them know there is a recall especially if it starts the other signs like left rear window rolling down randomly, applying the ebrake(low speed) on its own, turning off some of the assist systems or they come up on dash as Inop and you get a warning triangle..Ours started with the door thing, then the start/stop deal started not working then left rear window started rolling down about 4" randomly, then the e brake started applying...it was cumulative and got worse over time not better....youre at the point we were at in mid to late October it just got worse from there...the first couple times we wrote it off as a 1 time glitch as it would go 2 weeks without anything going wrong...then come back..but then it got to be several times a week then daily ...heck right before we got the loaner car it went almost a full week at 100% then out of the blue it all came back all at once..thats when i took it in requested(and got) the loaner... \

Im guessing though youre gonna have to wait till it develops other symptoms or is doing what your talking about and its doing it when the dealer looks at it...i ended up doing that making a side trip to the dealership WHEN it was happening and all the lights were on etc,etc,etc..thats when they could finally diagnose it.

now that ours is fixed (we even purposely took it on a 6 hour round trip for a mothers day weekend visit back home) its been fine we love it again. fingers crossed it stays fine/fixed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was fixed yesterday and it came in earlier than they told me. It only took 2.5 weeks but with all the issues my car has had I'm just waiting on something else to happen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2021 Atlas just started all these issues last week. It’s a lease and I don’t want to drive the hour to the dealer and use miles when they don’t have the part. I’m keeping an eye on this. VW Atlas Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Wiring Harness
One thing you could do is call them let them know you dont think its safe to drive(since it effects the airbag deployment possibly) and request a rental car...thats what we did in the end...didnt get the rental till we specifically requested it..but that way at least it keeps the miles OFF your car(you would probably save miles on your car vs driving it around with the rental till you get yours back) and it actually gives them some incentive to get yours fixed as they are paying for a long term rental...My wife swears that thats why we got ours fixed quicker than even Volkswagen Dealership thought...they were dumping $$ out for a long term rental so they wanted it fixed asap to stop paying the rental fee...

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing you could do is call them let them know you dont think its safe to drive(since it effects the airbag deployment possibly) and request a rental car...thats what we did in the end...didnt get the rental till we specifically requested it..but that way at least it keeps the miles OFF your car(you would probably save miles on your car vs driving it around with the rental till you get yours back) and it actually gives them some incentive to get yours fixed as they are paying for a long term rental...My wife swears that thats why we got ours fixed quicker than even Volkswagen Dealership thought...they were dumping $$ out for a long term rental so they wanted it fixed asap to stop paying the rental fee...
I asked our dealer for a rental or loaner. They said they don’t do that and we need to call VW 1-800 number and ask them for a rental. VW said they don’t do that and pointed the finger right back to the dealer. We left a message with the dealer Friday and still no call. They refuse to speak with us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts