Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 VW Atlas - highline edition.

And there's no internal locks for the rear seats.
Am I just out of sorts and can't find it ..or is this not a huge oversight ?

I haven't bought a car since the early 2000s and honestly i don't pay attention when i sit in the rear of other vehicles, so i'm not sure if this is the new standard.

Functionally, it's not that useful to unlock the car, cause you can just do that with the handle.
But it would be good to have a way to ensure it is locked: I remember when i was a kid, when i would wait in the car, I would want to lock my door.

·
212 Posts
Welcome to the forum chowcl ;)

I had to actually go out and look, and your correct ( '19 Atlas SEL 4/Motion ) not even the child override. except for a few things I stash in the back I've
never really thought about it :unsure: I had a buddy that was in back and tried to get out before I put the transmission in park, so I believe there is some
kinda safety there and one would have to ensure the vehicle was locked if someone else was waiting inside.

Again, Welcome !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mean the door lock part that would be a physical / visible indicator of if the door was locked?

This is accomplished by color of an led on some newer cars on the lock / unlock switch (not sure if cars have these anymore). The rear door locks (I think) only lock the respective door (for example the door the lock is pressed in) vs the front doors which lock all doors.

To open a locked door prior to placing vehicle in park you work the physical handle two times. The first time physically unlocks the door and the second time opens the door.

This is also the way our Touaregs are and we have had them since 2007 / 2008...I think our old jetta was this way too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, i mean there is no way to lock your door if you are in one of the rear seats. Which seems like not a need anymore with power and remote locking and unlocking.

I'm not sure the atlas has the visible indicator, but will check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No, i mean there is no way to lock your door if you are in one of the rear seats. Which seems like not a need anymore with power and remote locking and unlocking.

I'm not sure the atlas has the visible indicator, but will check it out tomorrow.
I just did a quick test. I could not find a way to lock the back door manually. If it is locked, Chillax is right. Two quick pulls on the handle will unlock it. Child locks on the 2019 Atlas SEL P can be manually turned on. The opening is on the inside facing the seat part of the door, not on the outfacing part like on most cars.

But in the 5 minutes I spent checking, I can't lock the rear passenger doors while sitting in the car. I even tried to remove the little rubber plug from the door jam, turning it (took my cell phone encase I got locked in) and still, unable to set it where it stays locked or unable to open from the outside. I see this as a safety issue. Lets say you left it unlocked, and adults were inside waiting. Then they decide to get out, two quick pulls and door opens. But if you leave the car unlocked, anyone can walk up and open the **** door because those in the rear can't get to the lock switch in the front. Oversight by VW or maybe they don't expect anyone to be in the back seat? Sure, the driver can LOCK DOWN the car upon exiting. Heck, the car starts screaming after you walk away with the key and shuts off after a few minutes anyway, so why doesn't the doors allow maybe 4 quick pulls to lock the door(s)? Hey VW :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts