Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My first posting on this forum.
Just purchased a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL V6 Premium AWD.
Noticed that there are no door lights, there is a red reflector installed but it's no connected.

Is there a wire harness inside the door to add a light?
Is there a way to add a light if no harness?

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is even the case on 2021 Atlas Execline... Such a bad impression. Previous 2018 Atlas had this feature. Hope there's a wiring harness inside.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello,

Noticed that there are no door lights, there is a red reflector installed but it's no connected.

Thanks
Pete
Welcome Pete, my Touareg had the same thing, it’s for looks only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree with you. I just can't get it as to why they cut features in newer year models but increase in cost. Shame!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Pete
Can you show a pic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you show a pic?
Pete is correct.. Even my 2021 Atlas Execline doesn't have. Surprisingly, my previous 2018 Atlas had it and I had custom installed a 3D VW emblem puddle light. Upon checking, the 2021 doesn't have the wiring harness inside. Confirmed with the dealer and was told that it is only reflector on newer ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully, sometime next year aftermarket technology auto enthusiasts builders would find this flaw as their opportunity to earn revenue and provide us with an amazing alternative that one could buy and plug - play...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked on vwpartsandservice.ca and they have a vw logo light for the 2021+ models built after 10/01/20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Pete
Long story short ... I am on my 4th Atlas in 1.5 years, a 2019 that lasted 3 months (LEMON), another 2019 that lasted a year (DEER), a 2021.5 that lasted 24 hours (NO DRIVER PERSONALIZATION), and now a 2021 ... the 1st 3 had the door lights, as did the 2020 and 2018 models that I looked at. When I took the 2021.5 back after 24 hours, I didn't even think to look for them in the 2021 model since they were on the 2021.5. Needless to say, I was exceptionally frustrated to discover AFTER I bought the car that they were removed for the 2021 model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, to all the owners of the new VW Atlas which apparently does not come with the courtesy door puddle lights as the case was in previous models, I have finally been able to make mine work. I will be sharing the details here soon. Hope it helps!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disclaimer: - This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Please proceed at your own risk. If you are not sure what you need to do, please STOP and get help from auto mechanic!

The focus of this DIY is that it is simple and easily reversible with no cutting or splicing into the OEM wires. I have a thing against cutting OEM wires.

Parts needed:
-Puddle lights - 1 set of 2 lights for the front doors. You can order them online. I had mine which I had used to upgrade my 2018 Atlas before getting my hands on the 2021 model. However, I did buy decent 18-22 gauge stranded wire in black and red (or whatever color you want), about 10ft is usually more than enough.
-2 Pin connector used for connecting the lights. Usually they ship with the lights.
-Door/ trim removing plastic tool
-Torx30 screwdriver
-Small cable tie or holder (for securing the wires on the inside door panels with no tension)

Process:
Once the inside door panel is removed (there are several youtube videos for Atlas that shows how to) carefully disengage all wiring connectors and the door lock cable that is pretty easy to unlatch.

First job is to release the big blue S004 connector from the controller (32pin connector picture below). Gently press a small slot head screwdriver against the middle catch to release the purple handle, which can now pivot down forcing the connector out of the controller socket. Carefully cut the cable tie from the connector, then insert the same screwdriver between the blue flap & the white inner to release the catch & the whole inner will now slide away from the blue outer. Locate Pin5 (brown wire) & using a small pointed tool press in the metal catch on the pin to release it & it should pull out from the white body.

Then, you'll need to connect the two wires from the 2pin connector (used for the lights) so you can connect the wires for the puddle lights onto them. Pin 16 is the +12v. Pin 5 is the ground wire.
Now you can plug the blue connector back into the door controller and all other connectors before putting the panel back on the door.

Note: If there is no coding needed on your Atlas, you will see the lights ON once you connect the blue 32 pin connector. I did a small coding on my vcds to have it enabled because it came disabled from factory.

Hope it helps!
Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice DIY Bluedino

We have puddle lights on our 2021 CS. I confirmed the puddle lights are listed as an option on the window sticker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice DIY Bluedino

We have puddle lights on our 2021 CS. I confirmed the puddle lights are listed as an option on the window sticker.
View attachment 1877
That's so cool vw-neuling.
Atlas manufactured post October 2020 has this feature re-enabled in them. I just couldn't understand why my premium trim wouldn't come with one. Enjoy your beast!! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts