Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the 2021 Atlas, the V6 SEL Premium with 4MOTION - loaded. I drove approximately 150 miles and started having issues. The windshield developed a crack from the center of the "a-pillar" horizontally across the windshield, then I started hearing rattling and creaking noises from the front passenger door, creaking noises from the dash and occasional rattling in the driver side door. On bumpy roads the back seats or somewhere in the back is a terrible rattling noise - the car sounds like a used Yugo not a 50K German car. I have never experienced ANYTHING like this...my last vehicle was a Lexus and it was solid. The car has 2K miles on it, it has been to the dealership twice and is there now - the first time they had the car for 4 days and assured me everything was fixed, it was not. This time they've contacted VW North America and were told they have 12 Atlas's with the same issues in their data base as well as major air conditioning problems - so their solution is to dismantle the car and put damping material in the noise areas to see if this fixes the problems - THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR! They want to keep my NEW car at least another week to resolve the problems. My biggest concern is these cars are built like crap and these issues will keep manifesting themselves and other problems will arise. I have written the dealership asking for a refund - I do not want this piece of crap car...I will see how they respond, I will be looking for an attorney that handles these issues unless someone on the forum has any suggestions. Hopefully the dealership will do the right thing and give me my money back. I would NOT buy the 2021 Atlas!

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Sucks that you have had issues but look, this actually does happen across just about any brand you can think of and there isn't a manufacturer out there that's going to give you your money back and make it whole without a shot at fixing it. It's not unreasonable that VW wants to try to fix it through their dealer - so you had a broken windshield and rattles...the AC is not bad correct? Best to look at what your state's lemon law is in terms of number of times in for the same repair and total days out of service - those are the typical metrics and you may end up tripping one during this process. If so, let VW know that you will be pursuing that and would like a replacement or out of the vehicle. Simple. You certainly can get an attorney involved that does lemon law cases. Good luck and hopefully they will just fix it correctly for you and you will be on your way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks that you have had issues but look, this actually does happy across just about any brand you can think of and there isn't a manufacturer out there that's going to give you your money back and make it whole without a shot at fixing it. It's not unreasonable that VW wants to try to fix it through their dealer - so you had a broken windshield and rattles...the AC is not bad correct? Best to look at what your state's lemon law is in terms of number of times in for the same repair and total days out of service - those are the typical metrics and you may end up tripping one during this process. If so, let VW know that you will be pursuing that and would like a replacement or out of the vehicle. Simple. You certainly can get an attorney involved that does lemon law cases. Good luck and hopefully they will just fix it correctly for you and you will be on your way.
Well yes...I am hoping for a good outcome however I have owned many cars and trucks, many brands, I have never had a car with this many issues - you would think the car would be tight and solid, being a top-of-the-line VW, German manufacturer, and as I said it sounds like a heap of crap. So you have to question the whole integrity of the car...

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Well yes...I am hoping for a good outcome however I have owned many cars and trucks, many brands, I have never had a car with this many issues - you would think the car would be tight and solid, being a top-of-the-line VW, German manufacturer, and as I said it sounds like a heap of crap. So you have to question the whole integrity of the car...
At some point, the numbers say you may get a lemon if you buy enough cars, just math unfortunately and doesn't mean everyone with an Atlas has issues. My 18 has been great with no major issues which also doesn't mean everyone's will be that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At some point, the numbers say you may get a lemon if you buy enough cars, just math unfortunately and doesn't mean everyone with an Atlas has issues. My 18 has been great with no major issues which also doesn't mean everyone's will be that way.
I understand what you are saying. I don't know anyone who has had a "lemon" or issues like this. The concern is there are many other documented reports on the 2021 Atlas with the same issue so the design, manufacturing and or quality control in one of their plants failed. I have owned a Jetta, Rabbit and a Touareg... they all had some mechanical issues but there is something seriously wrong with the 2021 Atlas's design and construction.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I understand what you are saying. I don't know anyone who has had a "lemon" or issues like this. The concern is there are many other documented reports on the 2021 Atlas with the same issue so the design, manufacturing and or quality control in one of their plants failed. I have owned a Jetta, Rabbit and a Touareg... they all had some mechanical issues but there is something seriously wrong with the 2021 Atlas's design and construction.
Have you ever joined and participated in other vehicle forums/FB groups? Literally any one of them will have folks reporting all sorts of things. I have a Lexus, the oil cooler line blew and almost totaled the vehicle - a defective part. Do all Lexus/Toyota's do this? No. But a lot of the Lexus RX350s of the year I have did - what's "a lot"? No idea. Based on forums/FB pages, it seems somewhat common. I'll wrap it up now - again, best of luck getting things sorted and let us know how it turns out...hopefully good!

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
Wow. Tough first 150 miles. What did the dealer say caused the windshield crack?

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
That's what I want to know too! Could it have just been a rock?
Yeah, I’ve never even heard of a windshield cracking without some sort of physical contact with another object, or somebody throwing boiling water on a frozen windshield.

Reactions: miskolci

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just purchased the 2021 Atlas, the V6 SEL Premium with 4MOTION - loaded. I drove approximately 150 miles and started having issues. The windshield developed a crack from the center of the "a-pillar" horizontally across the windshield, then I started hearing rattling and creaking noises from the front passenger door, creaking noises from the dash and occasional rattling in the driver side door. On bumpy roads the back seats or somewhere in the back is a terrible rattling noise - the car sounds like a used Yugo not a 50K German car. I have never experienced ANYTHING like this...my last vehicle was a Lexus and it was solid. The car has 2K miles on it, it has been to the dealership twice and is there now - the first time they had the car for 4 days and assured me everything was fixed, it was not. This time they've contacted VW North America and were told they have 12 Atlas's with the same issues in their data base as well as major air conditioning problems - so their solution is to dismantle the car and put damping material in the noise areas to see if this fixes the problems - THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR! They want to keep my NEW car at least another week to resolve the problems. My biggest concern is these cars are built like crap and these issues will keep manifesting themselves and other problems will arise. I have written the dealership asking for a refund - I do not want this piece of crap car...I will see how they respond, I will be looking for an attorney that handles these issues unless someone on the forum has any suggestions. Hopefully the dealership will do the right thing and give me my money back. I would NOT buy the 2021 Atlas!
I ALWAYS check Consumer Reports and knew that VW has very poor reliability. Actually next to the worst. But we had rented a 2018 Atlas for two months and loved it. With that said, I leased a 2019 Atlas SE V6 with 4Motion and Tech and sure enough, within the first 100 miles, I had to have the Fuel System Pressurization Pump replaced. Took 2 days. 50 miles later I had to have the Adaptive Cruise Control recalibrated. One day in shop. Within a few hundred miles I had a noise in the front. Apparently this was under recall and the front suspension was dismantled, some bolts replaced and got the car back five days later. Then a speaker blew. Shouldn't be able to blow out a factory speaker with a factory radio. Was in shop for 2 days. Periodically the radio just reboots. THANK GOD I LEASED. Good luck. Track time it is in for repairs and check out the Lemon Law in your state. I only have a few more days in shop and I qualify. On the other hand, it's leased. WHEW !

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is for Virginia, but every state has similar laws.... check with your local DMV or States Attorney.

Lemon Law
What is the Lemon Law?
If your new vehicle is a lemon, Virginia's Lemon Law requires the manufacturer of the car to refund your money or replace the vehicle.
How do I know if my vehicle's a lemon?
If you have tried unsuccessfully to have your new vehicle (purchased in Virginia) repaired three or more times for the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than thirty days in one year, your vehicle may be classified as a lemon under the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.
Filing a Claim
If you think your vehicle is a lemon, contact the Office of the Attorney General before filing a claim under this Act. All claims must be filed within 18 months following the date you first received the vehicle.
Additional Information
For more information about the law, refer to Virginia's Lemon Law, or contact:
  • Consumer Protection Section
  • Office of the Attorney General
  • 900 East Main Street
  • Richmond, VA 23219
  • (800) 552-9963
  • (804) 786-2042
  • (804) 225-4378

·
Registered
26 Posts
So sorry to hear about your issues. Ditto here. Bought a 2019 Atlas in January of 2020. Had issues immediately!! In the shop... multiple contacts with VW Customer Care... end result — nothing "technically wrong" with the vehicle. IF that is the case, the Atlas is built like a piece of crap. Period. Which is a shame. We've owned other VWs and had come to expect & cherish the VW Driving Experience. Not any more. Anyway — we sold the Atlas with 5K miles on it a loss. Took the hit. Best decision we ever made. Happily driving a Hyundai Palisade now. Best of luck to you.

Advice — don't waste too much time on this vehicle. Life is too short.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
So sorry to hear about your issues. Ditto here. Bought a 2019 Atlas in January of 2020. Had issues immediately!! In the shop... multiple contacts with VW Customer Care... end result — nothing "technically wrong" with the vehicle. IF that is the case, the Atlas is built like a piece of crap. Period. Which is a shame. We've owned other VWs and had come to expect & cherish the VW Driving Experience. Not any more. Anyway — we sold the Atlas with 5K miles on it a loss. Took the hit. Best decision we ever made. Happily driving a Hyundai Palisade now. Best of luck to you.

Advice — don't waste too much time on this vehicle. Life is too short.
Why are you still here if you sold your Atlas?

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
To share his experience and opinions... I’m still a part of many forums for vehicles I no longer own.
If your continuing contribution to this forum is to come and go on and on about your bad experience after you moved on to another vehicle, is that really any value? The post(s) are here now, forever, saved and searchable so everyone that is looking at an Atlas can see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If that's their experience, a bad one, then it is their prerogative to share it. Especially in a thread already discussing disappointment. I could understand if it was their first post and they made an account just to bash the car but that doesn't seem to be the case. You have to admit there is a pattern of issues, maybe it'll be a great SUV at 20,000 miles after all the kinks have been worked out, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be where the car is now. I'd want to be aware of these issues if I were looking to purchase.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
If that's their experience, a bad one, then it is their prerogative to share it. Especially in a thread already discussing disappointment. I could understand if it was their first post and they made an account just to bash the car but that doesn't seem to be the case. You have to admit there is a pattern of issues, maybe it'll be a great SUV at 20,000 miles after all the kinks have been worked out, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be where the car is now. I'd want to be aware of these issues if I were looking to purchase.
Sure, but what I see time and time again on this and many forums is you had a bad experience, you get rid of your vehicle, and then you continue to cover the site with your bad experience. There was another user here like that that finally got punted for it. Yes, there are issues, nobody is denying that but these don't define all Atlases. Mine has had no drama so does that mean 100% of them will have no drama? Of course not. These forums need balance and they are often dominated (especially for a non-enthusiast vehicle like this) by the vocal minority of owners with $hitty experiences giving the impression that they all suck, the numbers will always support that they don't.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
So... why are you here KarstGeo?? Just curious. Your vehicle doesn't have any problems.
Your comment is to my point - this forum isn't just for folks that have issues. I like helping people that do however especially here where many are not "car people" have many issues that are simple user error, not understanding how xyz works, etc. I've been an avid forum user for a variety of things since forums began in the late '90s.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts