Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my VW air intake filter with a K&N filter. The reason I am writing this is because I noticed that the car runs much better and the low gear upshifts are noticeably much smoother, actually very smooth. I don't know if this is the effect of the K&N filter or not. The original OEM filter is much thicker and I wonder if it was restricting air flow.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
I run a K&N in my Atlas (since about 4K miles, now at 23K) as well as our other two vehicles. I've run them in lots of cars. I'll go with "placebo" in terms of a change you can actually feel. I like that it's a one and done filter for the life of the vehicle and yes, they do flow better (it's not debatable) at the expense of a a little less filtering.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
K/N does let thru more particles

For sure, you can't have higher flow without impacting filtering. The better question w/r to this discussion - is there any meaningful impact of that tiny bit of dirt or of using a K&N in "normal" daily driving where you aren't on gravel roads/lots of dust? My used oil analysis show excellent filtering (silicon and other analytes). Used them in cars for years with no issue and 200K miles put on engines. They are a performance part for enthusiasts - not for the masses who have a hard enough time with even the most basic maintenance. That's why paper filters are great - toss a new one in every few years and forget it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
good to know...i had a k/n on the genesis but replaced with regular filter for now. it does improve performance somewhat per testing though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to balance the benefits of a less restrictive air flow with performance and the ability to clean the filter regularly (I clean my K&N at least twice a year) vs a paper filter which most people change annually? IMO I have never seen such an over engineered filter until I swapped out my Atlas paper filter.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
good to know...i had a k/n on the genesis but replaced with regular filter for now. it does improve performance somewhat per testing though.

For sure - it's been proven repeatedly that you get a slight tick in performance....most won't notice or care as it's small. I run them in all my cars for this reason.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
You need to balance the benefits of a less restrictive air flow with performance and the ability to clean the filter regularly (I clean my K&N at least twice a year) vs a paper filter which most people change annually? IMO I have never seen such an over engineered filter until I swapped out my Atlas paper filter.
Why the 2x a year cleaning - that's a lot? 50K intervals works per their instructions and the filters' efficiency increases as you get some dirt loading.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
I guess I am anal about my cars. 😄
Obvious Note: Environmental conditions somewhat dictate maintenance intervals on oiled filters. Gravel/dirt roads, dusty areas, etc. can accelerate need for cleaning/re-oiling. That said, there are dry performance filters that provide some (usually less than oiled filters) level of performance gain without added maintenance requirements of oiled filters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've always wondered if some of the aftermarket products are this good why are they ( Style ) not OEM :unsure:

The ' Extreme ' climate I live in and personally witnessing my off road buddies having issues with that type of element,
I've made the choice to stay with whats recommended.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
I've always wondered if some of the aftermarket products are this good why are they ( Style ) not OEM :unsure:

The ' Extreme ' climate I live in and personally witnessing my off road buddies having issues with that type of element,
I've made the choice to stay with whats recommended.
It's like software tunes - if VW could have extracted an extra 100hp out of my car, why didn't they? They didn't b/c reliability/drivability/power pick 2. Same with a high-flow filter or other after market kit - great for an enthusiast, terrible for someone who doesn't know how to open the hood.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
18 Posts
It's like software tunes - if VW could have extracted an extra 100hp out of my car, why didn't they? They didn't b/c reliability/drivability/power pick 2. Same with a high-flow filter or other after market kit - great for an enthusiast, terrible for someone who doesn't know how to open the hood.
On my other car, with the stock air filter I couldn't hear the turbo spool, as soon as I replaced it with an aftermarket filter I could hear it nice and clear. I understand it is a totally different application, but I was just wondering does your Atlas sound any different to you with the KN vs the stock filter?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a little rumble on full throttle, but not much. Normal driving is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Toyota 4Runner went 150K miles with a K&N filter and was still going strong when I traded it in. No throttle body issues and was never serviced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
But we see everyday people going with more fads. Remember Slick50? Those space age wiper blades. And as far as be goes, we have see what happens when you try and cheat the system. Aka, TDI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts