Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our Atlas 12 months ago in December 2018. The check engine light came on a few weeks ago, so we took the car in. The dealer claims that we got a batch of bad gas that ruined the fuel injectors which they now recommend replacing for $2500. The bad gas claim voids the warranty so we are on the hook to pay for repair. Interestingly, we get our gas at the Shell station right across the street from the dealer where they fill their own cars. We initiated an investigation with Shell corporate. Their assessment shows that the gas was fine, and they haven't had any other complaints about the gas so they deny that the gas was bad. We escalated the issue with VW to a regional customer service agent who stands behind the dealer's claim that we used bad gas which voids the warranty. I'm very skeptical of the bad gas claim, since the dealer doesn't offer any evidence to support the claim and Shell denies it. Seems like an obvious ploy by VW to get us to pay for an expensive repair on a 1 year old vehicle. Any suggestions on what to do from here? I'm inclined to take the car to an independent shop, do the least expensive thing to get the check engine light off, sell the Atlas and never do business with VW again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kingston :cool:

Sorry to read about your ordeal, sounds like your mind is made up...Good Luck !

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Seems straightforward to provide the info supporting that the gas was fine...not even sure how bad gas can do that, generally just makes the vehicle run like crap. There have been plenty of injector-related issues documented on the Atlas on the forums/FB pages which should show that this isn't that uncommon. Good luck. Keep in mind this is a dealer issue, not a VW issue. Injectors themselves are $170/injector so about $1K for the parts. In the end this may require the use of a lawyer unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: We didn't replace the injectors, and my wife has been driving the car this week with no problems. Something similar happened in August, check engine light came on, we took it in, they said it was something with the software, gave it back to us and it ran fine for a few months until the check engine light came on again. I think this car is another problem waiting to happen, and don't appreciate the way this was handled by either the dealer or VW customer service, so I want to get rid of it while everything seems to be working. My wife loves the car and wants to keep it. We'll undoubtedly compromise and keep it. Next time the check engine light comes on, I'll try taking it to another dealer to see if I have better luck.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Update: We didn't replace the injectors, and my wife has been driving the car this week with no problems. Something similar happened in August, check engine light came on, we took it in, they said it was something with the software, gave it back to us and it ran fine for a few months until the check engine light came on again. I think this car is another problem waiting to happen, and don't appreciate the way this was handled by either the dealer or VW customer service, so I want to get rid of it while everything seems to be working. My wife loves the car and wants to keep it. We'll undoubtedly compromise and keep it. Next time the check engine light comes on, I'll try taking it to another dealer to see if I have better luck.
I feel the same way with mine..... Another problem with dumping it do soon is that they don't hold any sort of respectable resell value. You will be better of dealing with the issues and using the warranty every month like we do until the warranty expires. I will be doing nothing more than brakes, tires, and oil changes until it hits 71,xxx miles, then its getting traded in. We are paying 1.5 payments per month to stay ahead of the depreciation so that when we do dump it we can break even or better. What a terrible buy!

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I feel the same way with mine..... Another problem with dumping it do soon is that they don't hold any sort of respectable resell value. You will be better of dealing with the issues and using the warranty every month like we do until the warranty expires. I will be doing nothing more than brakes, tires, and oil changes until it hits 71,xxx miles, then its getting traded in. We are paying 1.5 payments per month to stay ahead of the depreciation so that when we do dump it we can break even or better. What a terrible buy!
What kind of issues are monthly warranty visits for?

·
Banned
109 Posts
What kind of issues are monthly warranty visits for?
coolant light comes on at least once a month. the front suspension that just got replaced was looked at 2x with no repair until my last visit. I dropped the car off and said I wasn't taking it home until it was fixed. 6 hours later I have new suspension and a full tank of coolant, only to have the coolant light come on 3 days later. I hate this car

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
coolant light comes on at least once a month. the front suspension that just got replaced was looked at 2x with no repair until my last visit. I dropped the car off and said I wasn't taking it home until it was fixed. 6 hours later I have new suspension and a full tank of coolant, only to have the coolant light come on 3 days later. I hate this car
The coolant issue is certainly real and it's disappointing that some are being repaired and some aren't. This, to me, points to a failure on VW corporate for not having a clear TSB out on this issue that says X amount of coolant loss over Y time = replace head gasket (or whatever is the cause).

·
Banned
109 Posts
The coolant issue is certainly real and it's disappointing that some are being repaired and some aren't. This, to me, points to a failure on VW corporate for not having a clear TSB out on this issue that says X amount of coolant loss over Y time = replace head gasket (or whatever is the cause).
its very disappointing as we really do want to like and enjoy this car but at this point with all of the issues we just want it gone to avoid the wasted time and headaches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fuel cannot destroy fuel injectors. Your dealer is so full of crap I can’t even believe it!!! I think they’re doing very dirty business and are bring intentionally shady. With that said, the coolant leak is apparently a common issue with improperly torqued cylinder heads on these VR6 engines. Bring it up to the dealer. Ask them to do an overnight pressure test and see if any coolant leaks into the cylinders. Coolant does not gets used up with a repeatedly declining level. It seems many VW dealers are not operating reputably. Terrible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts