Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2019 is approaching 40K miles and soon will take its 1500 mile north for the summer and fall.

The manual lists out a program for maintenance at this interval, which includes most all fluids changed, and the usual "check out" stuff.

I've a Goodyear place nearby that does good work on all makes and models, and a dealer 13 miles away that when asked what about a 40K service, only said that the oil and filter would be $130, and said nothing about what else is right in the owner's manual.

Where would you go?

·
Super Moderator
1,161 Posts
I would NEVER use a generic shop to work on a VW. Find a local Euro car shop that works on VWs and use them. 90% of what a dealer sells you for a 40K inerval is crap. It's an oil change, air filter, cabin filter, wipers, rotation and you may add brake fluid and Haldex awd fluid if your time interval is up (they are time not mileage...at least in the '18 book). Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The manual calls for both filters, engine air and cabin air, to be changed, new plugs, and that's it for the new parts. I have both filters and will change the cabin air myself. This ain't rocket science. All I need for the engine air swap is a socket extender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. The manual that comes with the Atlas, specifically the 32 page USA Warranty and Maintenance one, is confusing in that it addresses every VW model and you need to read it three times before things sink in. Would it be too much trouble, VW, to have done an Atlas-only booklet.

Reading it again for the third time, it seems to be saying that for my Atlas SEL Premium, AWD, 3.5 engine, 40k miles, new in 2019, I just need the oil and filter change, and a lot of stuff just gets inspected. As I said earlier, I have the filters in and out ordered, and will install them myself tomorrow, engine air and cabin air.

·
Super Moderator
1,161 Posts
Thank you. The manual that comes with the Atlas, specifically the 32 page USA Warranty and Maintenance one, is confusing in that it addresses every VW model and you need to read it three times before things sink in. Would it be too much trouble, VW, to have done an Atlas-only booklet.

Reading it again for the third time, it seems to be saying that for my Atlas SEL Premium, AWD, 3.5 engine, 40k miles, new in 2019, I just need the oil and filter change, and a lot of stuff just gets inspected. As I said earlier, I have the filters in and out ordered, and will install them myself tomorrow, engine air and cabin air.
For a 2019, you are likely at the 3 year mark on the brake fluid/Haldex fluid as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK and thanks. I am now reading the little book again, as I had not read the TIME DEPENDENT part. I am at the 3 year mark.

Brake fluid: change (because it was not done at 2 years)

AWD clutch (AKA "Haldex"): change fluid

Front axle differential lock: change fluid

I'll make sure the shop does this on Wednesday.

·
Super Moderator
1,161 Posts
OK and thanks. I am now reading the little book again, as I had not read the TIME DEPENDENT part. I am at the 3 year mark.

Brake fluid: change (because it was not done at 2 years)

AWD clutch (AKA "Haldex"): change fluid

Front axle differential lock: change fluid

I'll make sure the shop does this on Wednesday.
First brake fluid change is 3 years, just like the Haldex, then every 2 after. Make sure they understand that this is the Haldex, not the r. differential...lots of folks have had shops do this that were clueless and they drained one/filled the other which of course was followed by a catastrophic failure.

You don't have a f. diff lock on your Atlas - that was only the GTI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts