Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Thule Rapid Crossroad Railing Foot Pack - set of four and Thule AeroBlade Bars - 53” -pair. Sunroof clearance during opening is good, but with care in positioning of front bar. I use a Thule Motion XT - XLarge Cargo Box to carry outdoor gear. Wait for periodic 20% discount sale prices from LLBean, West Marine or REI for best deals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Thule Rapid Crossroad Railing Foot Pack - set of four and Thule AeroBlade Bars - 53” -pair. Sunroof clearance during opening is good, but with care in positioning of front bar. I use a Thule Motion XT - XLarge Cargo Box to carry outdoor gear. Wait for periodic 20% discount sale prices from LLBean, West Marine or REI for best deals.
Thanks Spe!!bound1. Does anyone have experience with the cross-bars that Volkswagen sells for the Atlas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a set of used Thule Crossroads with the square bars, and they work fine and clear the opening sunroof. They are the 58" crossbars and fit well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been shopping overseas for roof racks. https://www.roofracks.co.uk/ Check out this place. Even with shipping cost, it's still a lot cheaper than the states. The VAT will be taken out at checkout.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first post here. I got the Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet (retired: 757 footpack) with 53in aero bars. Also the rest of the stable at home :) Love roof racks
What is the height from the top of the roof to the top of your bars? I have the OEM crossbars and they are too tall for my liking. Makes it hard to find garages in the city with proper clearance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Atlas SE and I am looking for OEM cross-bars for the factory roof rails. I cannot find them anywhere. i called our local dealer in Knoxville, TN and he said they cost $365 and are on indefinite back order...whatever that means. That seems extremely expensive for cross bars and they cannot say when they will be available.

I tried looking online obviously but nothing...only aftermarket. What gives?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just at the dealer earlier this week and they had one set of the OEM cross bars available. They told me that redesigned bars are coming out and that there will be quite a wait for them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They are apparently changing suppliers and/or design. They have no date for availability. You have a couple of options. A) some dealers have a couple in stock but they are selling for full MSRP. You can call around and find one who will ship them. B) Buy some aftermarket set. There are a million of them.
I'm in the same boat. I will give VW a couple of months to see if they release the new ones. If it gets to ski season though I will have to bite the bullet and grab some aftermarket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am using Malone aero style cross bars with zero issues. Above 55 mph wind noise is there, but not during lower speeds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased a cheap set off of amazon for $100. We recently completed a 2800 miles road trip and they worked perfect but the wind noise is more than I remember from rails in the past. Noisy enough that I take them off unless im using the carrier. I do not have a sunroof so I do not know if they clear that or not.

Do the OEM create noticeable wind noise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a cheap set off of amazon for $100. We recently completed a 2800 miles road trip and they worked perfect and no added wind noise compared to other rails I have had in the past. I do not have a sunroof so I do not know if they clear that or not.
Which cheap set did you get?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought a set of Thule crossroad mounts (450r) and ARB53 crossbars on eBay. Several other atlas owners have confirmed the sunroof clears the crossbars. You should be able to get them both for $200-300. I have had the "Brightlines" cheap roofracks from Amazon on our previous two vehicles. It was "fine". I just felt like the plastic mounts weren't going to last and the threads were bound to strip out. I'd go for either the factory or a used Thule....and the factory rack wasn't available for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Atlas SE and I am looking for OEM cross-bars for the factory roof rails. I cannot find them anywhere. i called our local dealer in Knoxville, TN and he said they cost $365 and are on indefinite back order...whatever that means. That seems extremely expensive for cross bars and they cannot say when they will be available.

I tried looking online obviously but nothing...only aftermarket. What gives?
I have a brand new set still in the box ( In San Francisco)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts