Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this VW. model. Is it worth spending the $299 on the Roof Cross bars from VW or are there equivalent brands available that are just as good but a lot cheaper?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just purchased this VW. model. Is it worth spending the $299 on the Roof Cross bars from VW or are there equivalent brands available that are just as good but a lot cheaper?
I found ones on amazon that work great and were $125. They works great but do whistle when just bars are on, but I only put them on when I plan to use them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shopped for a long time for cross bars. I ended up purchasing the VW bars. They are very well engineered and fit perfectly. Sunroof function not affected. You can though find them for much less than $299. Shop around and google and you will find multiple sources for the OEM bars from dealers with hugely varying prices. I think I paid $219.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shopped for a long time for cross bars. I ended up purchasing the VW bars. They are very well engineered and fit perfectly. Sunroof function not affected. You can though find them for much less than $299. Shop around and google and you will find multiple sources for the OEM bars from dealers with hugely varying prices. I think I paid $219.
I also have the factory cross bars and bike racks. They are basically rebadged thules. Apparently thule will have some compatible crossbars coming out this spring/summer but I found the oem were great - apart from the noise. After installing a fairing (thule airscreen xt 44") the wind noise reduced significantly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the factory cross bars and bike racks. They are basically rebadged thules. Apparently thule will have some compatible crossbars coming out this spring/summer but I found the oem were great - apart from the noise. After installing a fairing (thule airscreen xt 44") the wind noise reduced significantly.
Did you have to make any modifications to the air screen or the OEM crossbars to install? Do you have the rectracable moon roof? Any issues with the air screen and the moon roof? Thanks for our assistance. Would love to get rid of the whistle. I kind of have just dealt with it, but if this works it would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you have to make any modifications to the air screen or the OEM crossbars to install? Do you have the rectracable moon roof? Any issues with the air screen and the moon roof? Thanks for our assistance. Would love to get rid of the whistle. I kind of have just dealt with it, but if this works it would be great.
I don't have the moon roof on mine so can't help you out there, but no modifications were needed for airscreen xt installation. Just make sure it's the XT version of the thule fairing/yakima equivalent which are more universal type mounts. The 44 inch version just barely fit within the roof bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts