Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a 2021 S 2.0T AWD. We are in the market to get cross bars, cargo box, and awning for our Atlas. We have a family of 6 so the bigger box the better. Some of my questions:

If we want to get a rooftop tent eventually, what are good cross bars to look for? Do all handle the same amount of weight or does it vary?

Any recommendations on good cargo boxes?

Has anyone put an awning on their Atlas? We do a lot of camping and would love something like this. Can you have an awning and cargo box installed at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I ended up buying a Yakima skybox...its 21 cu.ft. so basically the biggest for that box model. I have big family...6 total with wife and kids, Thule has bigger cargo boxes. I paired the box with a set of Yakima aero blade cross bars, the cross bars themselves have a 150 lb limits while the box I think has a 110 lb limit. I don't know anything about placing a tent on the roof, haven't ventured out that far yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of weeks ago I ended up buying a Yakima skybox...its 21 cu.ft. so basically the biggest for that box model. I have big family...6 total with wife and kids, Thule has bigger cargo boxes. I paired the box with a set of Yakima aero blade cross bars, the cross bars themselves have a 150 lb limits while the box I think has a 110 lb limit. I don't know anything about placing a tent on the roof, haven't ventured out that far yet.
We were looking at the 21cu ft one as well. How do you like it so far? Does it allow you to pack a lot more?

For our big trip out West this summer we are hoping to do a lot of dispersed camping, so bringing a lot of gear with us is a must. I just don't know if that extra 21cu ft would be enough for us.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The owner's manual lists a maximum load of 200lbs. Yakima and thule both quote higher limits (Yakima says like 600, thule says 165 dynamic and about 3x that static). Both say the vehicle roof capacity may be the limiting factor. At 200lbs in the Atlas that doesn't translate to being able to sleep more than 1 person by my math.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Has anyone put an awning on their Atlas? We do a lot of camping and would love something like this. Can you have an awning and cargo box installed at the same time?

Thanks for your help!
Depends on the rooftop box. I think the tents usually mount to the crossbars so as long as your box doesnt cover the full width of the crossbars or it is shifted far enough to the other side you should be able to carry a box and awning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far with the skybox. I am currently on a trip moving out of state and I was able to put in 3 fully packed carry on size suitcases, 3 backpacks and 3 tote bags...one more tote bag would have fit fine. Soft bags like dufflebags, backpacks and totes are easier to cram and squeeze. I think its perfect for day trips and weekend camping trips. For longer trips I feel a wider cargo box would be better unless you want to still have enough space in the crossbars to tie in a big tent box or other big camping equipment. I’ll post some pics tomorrow of the stuff inside my cargo box, Im still at mid-point in my moving trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts