Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 2018 VW ATLAS V6 SEL Premium W/4MOTION, serviced and a Tire rotation. I got a quote from local dealer for $100.00. Then I tried to set up an appointment and the Service manager quoted me $190.00. After some discussion, he finally said $100.00. I went to the dealer and then service manager tried to set the price at $120.00. He said the Oil Change alone was just under $100.00. Again, a discussion started and he agreed again to $100.00 again. The final price came to $105.00. (apparently, they do not stick top their word). I mainly decided to do the first oil change at the dealer because there was a recall (Sunroof drains). I have had my past oil changes and tire rotations done by my son and the price for parts (Oil and filter) about $30.00. (Same oil that VW recommends)
Do these prices (The $190.00 quote) sound about right and has anyone had issues with the dealer's service departments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Enforcer5806 ;)

I have yet to get my first LOF on my Atlas, however on my Jetta it was close to $85.00
Nobody touches my tires except Discount Tire.

Again, Welcome !

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I have paid $118 each of 3 times I've had the dealer do my oil change/tire rotation. The oil change kit using the correct oil (having the VW502 00 approval) and VW filter would be ~$70 from the typical online Euro part retailers. These are dealer-specific issues and the dealer is likely including another bit of service (checks is most likely). I regularly get coupons from the dealer/VW for ~$60 oil changes. $30 sounds suspect - the 3.6 takes 6 quarts of oil so that, even on sale, that would be $30 for just the oil with another $10-20 for the filter and remember, you need a new drain plug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have paid $118 each of 3 times I've had the dealer do my oil change/tire rotation. The oil change kit using the correct oil (having the VW502 00 approval) and VW filter would be ~$70 from the typical online Euro part retailers. These are dealer-specific issues and the dealer is likely including another bit of service (checks is most likely). I regularly get coupons from the dealer/VW for ~$60 oil changes. $30 sounds suspect - the 3.6 takes 6 quarts of oil so that, even on sale, that would be $30 for just the oil with another $10-20 for the filter and remember, you need a new drain plug.
NEW Drain plug? Nothing I researched indicates that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are so right. They did charge me for the plug. $3.00 and the price for me to order it from VW is $.61. The $190.00 they wanted to charge me was for the $10,000 service. The next one is a 20,000-mile checkup at a cost of about $314.14, not including the replacing of cabin filter $49.99. They offered me a $10 discount. Think I will go elsewhere for service. VW is expensive. Heard they are like having a Cadilac worked on. LOL

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
You are so right. They did charge me for the plug. $3.00 and the price for me to order it from VW is $.61. The $190.00 they wanted to charge me was for the $10,000 service. The next one is a 20,000-mile checkup at a cost of about $314.14, not including the replacing of cabin filter $49.99. They offered me a $10 discount. Think I will go elsewhere for service. VW is expensive. Heard they are like having a Cadilac worked on. LOL
I think folks don't realize you can just ask for ala carte services - just say you want a tire rotation/oil change and skip the 10K mile checks. I never buy the packaged service garbage. You can check the list off yourself. Cabin filter is an easy 5 min job for $20. The only services beyond oil change per the manual are: 20K/2 years cabin filters, 60K/6 years air filter, 3 years (regardless of miles) Haldex service and brake fluid change (then every 2 years afterward) and 80K miles auto tranny fluid. I think it's plugs at 60K as well. Very min. service is required. I have a spreadsheet list I can post that is verbatim from the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the Denver, Colorado Larry Miller VW Dealer I pre-paid $110 for 10k and 20k services. I always do my tires at Discount Tire too! Unfortunately I ran over a box cutter on I-84 in Portland and they could not source a replacement tire in OR or WA and the local VW dealer would not answer the phone. So I drove out an hour later with four brand new Michelin tires and it was like a different vehicle - better handling, ride and much, much quieter than the stock tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think folks don't realize you can just ask for ala carte services - just say you want a tire rotation/oil change and skip the 10K mile checks. I never buy the packaged service garbage. You can check the list off yourself. Cabin filter is an easy 5 min job for $20. The only services beyond oil change per the manual are: 20K/2 years cabin filters, 60K/6 years air filter, 3 years (regardless of miles) Haldex service and brake fluid change (then every 2 years afterward) and 80K miles auto tranny fluid. I think it's plugs at 60K as well. Very min. service is required. I have a spreadsheet list I can post that is verbatim from the manual.
I think that would actually be very helpful, any way you could share that with us? or let me know where it's at if you already did? thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
All of this is in your maintenance booklet/manual. View attachment 1067
I recently got my 2018 VW ATLAS V6 SEL Premium W/4MOTION, serviced and a Tire rotation. I got a quote from local dealer for $100.00. Then I tried to set up an appointment and the Service manager quoted me $190.00. After some discussion, he finally said $100.00. I went to the dealer and then service manager tried to set the price at $120.00. He said the Oil Change alone was just under $100.00. Again, a discussion started and he agreed again to $100.00 again. The final price came to $105.00. (apparently, they do not stick top their word). I mainly decided to do the first oil change at the dealer because there was a recall (Sunroof drains). I have had my past oil changes and tire rotations done by my son and the price for parts (Oil and filter) about $30.00. (Same oil that VW recommends)
Do these prices (The $190.00 quote) sound about right and has anyone had issues with the dealer's service departments.
In Oregon I was quoted $125 for 10k oil and filter change. Asked for any discounts they had and showed them a $75 coupon from an out of town dealer. I got it for $99. I too don't use the dealer to rotate tires. Most tire shops will rotate and balance for about $40. ALWAYS ask "Can you do any better than that?" Give them any reason to discount it and they usually will - AAA, veteran, senior citizen, AARP, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's comments and wisdom. This is the first VW I owned. I have heard rumors all my life that VW is expensive to have dealers maintain (Like Cadillacs). The rumors seemed true. I have owed 4runners that past 15 years. I have had locals or my son change oil and rotate tires on them and they are harder to do then an Atlas (Steal plates and higher ground clearance). VW service manager stated that it cost about $98.00 to just change the oil. Just parts are less than half that (including new drain plug). Just watching some videos, it is easier than a 4runner and faster. Same with tire rotation. I will let the VW dealer deal with warranty issues and recalls. Why I purchase it, with 6 years, 72 K mile warranty. Yes, I also purchased it for its size and all the bells and whistles. 4runner has not upgraded their packages yet (Shame).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, another question. I read the required 20,000-mile service ($230.00). What is this oil and engine additives? I thought this is a waste of $, especially when using this high-grade synthetic oil.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Sorry, another question. I read the required 20,000-mile service ($230.00). What is this oil and engine additives? I thought this is a waste of $, especially when using this high-grade synthetic oil.
Where did you read that? Keep in mind that the dealer is not VW, it's a franchised dealer and they can tell you/sell you whatever they want and do often recommend/push services/products that are not needed. I posted above what VW says - 20K mile service should be an oil change and cabin filter, period. Anything else is not necessary. VW explicitly states in the manual that additives are not recommended - I however have used Liquimoly Certatec in my other VW and will likely use it in the Atlas when I start DIY'ing the changes.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
That is what I received from a VW Dealer and Maintenance.
Yeah, typical dealer stuff. Just get your oil changed, that's all it needs. No need to a $5 can of fuel injector cleaner (or you can do that yourself) and any oil additives. The alignment is an as-needed thing. As I have said above, this is not VW, this is a dealer recommending to make money (which is ok by the way).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did some math and just ended up buying the VW service package at the time. Plan on keeping the car for years (like my 9 year old minivan, 11 year old jeep and 17 year old Jeep) But FWIW, got son two oil changes (package) at the steelership for xmas for his Compass. about 200.00 and that included tire rotation. A 4 change package for my 09 and 02 was under 100 bucks. Go figure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts