Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can’t approve without a specification and you can’t approve by saying it’s the same as VW part number. The product has to meet or exceed the specification but be within the range of the spec.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
You can’t approve without a specification and you can’t approve by saying it’s the same as VW part number. The product has to meet or exceed the specification but be within the range of the spec.
Yes, you meet X specs to get Y manufacturer approval. 502 has a list of specs that you need to meet AND pay to have that approval stamp on your oil. Approvals make buying oil for these vehicles v. simple, you just need to see "502 00" and you are good vs. checking a multitude of specs. All oils that meet X specs(s) don't have Y approval was my point. Did I mention approvals? ahahahahah 🤣 In your post, you said they need to meet A3/B4 and that is correct, but there are other bits in there beyond that and just b/c an oil meets the A3/B4 specification, doesn't mean that it can get or has the 502 00 approval. You are correct in that folks obsess with viscosity but for VWs, it's all about that Approval first, then viscosity.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you have a relationship with VW? Your posts seem to always reflect a relationship to promote VW and downplay any issues.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Do you have a relationship with VW? Your posts seem to always reflect a relationship to promote VW and downplay any issues.
No..hahahahaa. It's funny that if you are on a forum not complaining, that you are VW-plant/spy. I just try to bring a realistic/common-sense perspective to the discussions as an enthusiast and general "car knowledge" person. I have had 3 VWs since 1999 and enjoy the brand. I read so much crappy advice/info on these forums - I am just trying (and enjoy) to help folks which I do regularly with factual-based info, not hearsay and conspiracy theories. The Atlas is not an enthusiast vehicle so the discussions are quite different than the MK7 Golf community/forums/FB pages I participate in where most owners are modifying their cars and are more understanding of quirks, issues, etc.. Many Atlas owners don't understand some of the oddities of VWs or Euro cars in general (oil!). I don't downplay anything, but folks act near-hysterical many times about things that really just aren't a big deal. For the Atlas, it certainly has it's share of issues but many of the concerns folks have are more to do with the VW dealer network (not always so great...but that is the case across many brands) not getting issues (real ones) sorted. Take the 3rd gear acceleration transmission noise folks like to concern themselves with - nothing indicates that this is an issue, they all do it which indicates it's design-driven, but it's annoying to some folks for sure and I can understand it being a concern. There are folks want VW to buy back their Atlas for this. I see this as silly for an issue that isn't "real". So that is downplaying it? No, it's a dose of reality...you don't get your car bought back b/c you don't like a noise it makes. You get your vehicle bought back when it has mechanical issues causing break-downs/non-use that can't be sorted. Anyway, flame away!

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
changed oil using castrol edge 0w40 from walmart. price was cheap at $22 for 5 quarts and used oem filter and drain plug. took a while to remove and replace the underbody shield but nothing too difficult. took longer than i expected but figure will be shorter next time.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quarts - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
Good work - that oil is perfect for the Atlas either the 2.0 or 3.6. Lots of Group IV base stock and a good additive pack all with the VW502 00 approval and CHEAP!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts