Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an oil change on my gf's parents new '19 Atlas. There seems the be a wide variety between the recommended oil viscosities. I've ordered 0w40 for this oil change, but I'm wondering what would be the best option for next time. I saw a similar post on here but I didn't want to restart it. They go a good distance between oil changes, the next one will probably be in winter here in Missouri, maybe later. So what would provide the best protection for winter and summer driving? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
The oil discussion is always a confusing one. Let's start here - with Euro cars, it's all about "Approvals". Forget viscosity. The oils have a list of specs that allow them to meet a manufacture's (VW) approval. So for your 2019, it likely will need an oil that either has the "VW502 00" or "VW504 00" approval (504 is a more modern approval vs the older/tried-and-true 502). That's it. Now, when viscosity gets added in things get confusing and the Atlas (and other VWs) have some issues with the underhood sticker and manual not matching/contradicting each other or giving approvals AND viscosities that are hard to find. Most VW504 00 oils are 5W30 with a few 0W30s. Most VW502 00 oils are 5W40s with some 0W40s. That however doesn't mean you walk into AutoZone and buy Mobil 1 5W30...that won't have the VW504 00 approval - you need to make sure you are buying one that will typically be labeled as "For European vehicles" or similar. Here is a list of the oils by approval that you can use in your Atlas. You can also go to any Walmart and find Euro oils by Mobil 1, Castrol, or Penzoil that have one of these approvals. For your 2019, I'm thinking you need a 504 which is typically the Penzoil Euro 0W30. The 0W40 you bought sounds like it's likely a 502 and will work just fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally, I don't like the manufacturer bottled oils, they are severely marked up. I prefer to go with Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 0W40 is listed as recommended for Benz, VW, Audi and Porche, listed on the bottle.
Here is a link to a previous post which lists all the equivalents.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Personally, I don't like the manufacturer bottled oils, they are severely marked up. I prefer to go with Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 0W40 is listed as recommended for Benz, VW, Audi and Porche, listed on the bottle.
Here is a link to a previous post which lists all the equivalents.
But it's only the VW502 00 approval, if you want/need 504, you have to do the M1 ESP 5W30 or the Penzoil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I ordered this time after I saw Barry recommend it in that thread. What I'm reading says both 502 00 and 504 00 will work for this Atlas, so I'm just trying to decide what would best fit their needs. I'm thinking 5w30, but in my mind, that seems like a good jump from 0w40. Like I said they usually go 20,000+ miles on an oil change (that may change with the Atlas telling them it's due every 10,000) so if this Atlas were to consume any oil I'd want that at a minimum. Thanks again for the fast responses.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I decide to change my own oil, I will probably put a big hole in the cheap, plastic shield (probably 6" or 8") with a hole saw to eliminate the need to remove that stupid bottom shield (or might leave it off entirely). My Toyota 4Runner came with a steel bottom shield with an easily removable plastic plug under the oil pan to facilitate changing engine oil.. It was very easy to change the oil, but after a while the plastic plug didn't fit very well and I left it off. In fact, the (cheap) plastic shield really doesn't make sense and does nothing but make it an annoyance. Also, I would change the drain plug to a steel plug.
Great German engineering!

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Again....focus on approval, not viscosity. 502 is an older approval. 504 is a newer one that has been developed around low-sulfur fuels that were common in Europe but not that we had here until recently - hence why the 2019s- call for it. Either will work in the Atlas but I would stick with the approval the underhood sticker calls for (or manual...careful, they can be contradictory!). 20K miles is WAY too long between changes, 10K max. The oil will have v. little base/additive left and will be substantially sheared down below it's starting grade. The 3.6 VR6 FSI is a fuel-diluter....another reason to change more frequently. I have the used oil analysis to back it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were mine it'd be gone, or at least some of the screws, 13+ Torx screws seems quite extreme to me...
If I decide to change my own oil, I will probably put a big hole in the cheap, plastic shield (probably 6" or 8") with a hole saw to eliminate the need to remove that stupid bottom shield (or might leave it off entirely).

Oh, I'm aware, but tell the customer that. I'll look through the manual and at the sticker when I get my hands on it. I may be back here when that time comes.
20K miles is WAY too long between changes, 10K max.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the oil change yesterday, here are my findings.
Both the book and sticker recommend 0w30 502 00.
Removing the shield was extremely easy, the T25 right in the front center was gone as well as the little plug in the middle, someone in its 4,000 miles decided to do away with them.
I can also say that putting a hole in the shield would likely result in a huge mess of oil pouring everywhere, but again removing it really wasn't bad.
Also, it took about 6.2 quarts of oil to get where it needed to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm having a hard time finding a 0w30 oil, especially the Castrol specified in my shop manual. Not to mention it's about double the price of the Mobile 1 I put in.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
You can use any VW502 00 oil - sure, it says 0W30 but it's hard to find. Just go with the more standard/commonly available weights that have the 502 00 approval - Castrol or Mobil 1 0W40 can be found everywhere and meet VW's requirements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'll stick with the 0w40.

Quick question while I'm here. Does anyone have a link to a good bit they use for removing the wheel bolts?

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Thanks, I'll stick with the 0w40.

Quick question while I'm here. Does anyone have a link to a good bit they use for removing the wheel bolts?
They are 17mm - I just use a deep socket wrapped in electrical tape (so the wheels don't get dinged up). The plastic caps just come off with a pick or the tool is located in the tire changing kit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The spec is not viscosity. The spec is A3/B4, which Mobil 1 and a dozen of other oils meet (or exceed). I would rather buy my oil products from a world class oil company, rather than the car manufacturer who has the product bottled with their label.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
The spec is not viscosity. The spec is A3/B4, which Mobil 1 and a dozen of other oils meet (or exceed). I would rather buy my oil products from a world class oil company, rather than the car manufacturer who has the product bottled with their label.
While these oils will be A3/B4, the important part for oil shopping is the approval which will be VW502 00 or VW504 00 (depending on what year/underhood stick/manual says). And there are only a handful of oils that have these approvals but are common and can be found at Walmart or any autoparts store, usually they will say "Euro" or similar.

·
Registered
236 Posts
KarstGeo, I think you have it backwards. It is the specification first and then the oil that meets the specification. In the case of the VW private label, it is their VW 502 or VW 504, which I am sure that they source from wherever they can get the best deal.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
KarstGeo, I think you have it backwards. It is the specification first and then the oil that meets the specification. In the case of the VW private label, it is their VW 502 or VW 504, which I am sure that they source from wherever they can get the best deal.
I don't have it backwards. Approval first. The Approval encompasses the specifications kind of like a grouping so buying an oil that has the VW502 00 approval takes care of all of it and is how your manual etc. is laid out. I think you are confusing approval with OE oil - yes, the VW branded oil made by M1 or Castrol has the VW502 00 approval, but so do a host of other brands of oil. For example, here is Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 which has the VW502 00 approval:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts