Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time my coolant warning light has come on. 16k miles. 1st time was under 2k miles. They blew off the 1st time at the dealership. Going tomorrow to have it checked again. Read several others with 2018 Atlas having same issue.

·
Super Moderator
774 Posts
This is probably the number 1 "real" issue folks have with the Atlas. Tons of info. One time is somewhat normal, if you are losing it at a high rate it's going somewhere and it is likely the head gasket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the coolant light come on and checked the level, it seemed to be down so I added just enough water to satisfy sensor, the next day it was back up to maximum level, what gives with that???

·
Registered
1 Posts
For starters my wife and I purchased a 2018 atlas in February of 2018. we've had a few issues here and there but nothing major. So fast forward a month ago, I go in the atlas and the "check engine coolant" light was on. So I opened the hood and looking at the reservoir on the passenger side, that's where the coolant sensor is. It was quite low so I called the dealership.The stupid service writer told me that is a common problem with the atlas and it just needs a little coolant. So I asked him where did it go? coolant is like A/C refrigerant in that it is Not Diminishable. As long as there isn't a leak you won't lose anything. well last night I found the leak we no help from the VW dealer. On my Atlas if you look on passenger side on the radiator just forward of the serpentine belt there was a leak. Orange looking fluid and quite a lot of corrosion. I will be calling them first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a problem with the Atlas head bolts not being Torqued to the proper settings causing very minor leakage of coolant. Head gasket needs replaced

·
Super Moderator
774 Posts
Not all coolant leaks are the headgasket, folks online tend to read things like this and assume 100% of them have this issue etc. Some have had water pump issues or even the expansion tank itself. Just need to work with the dealer to try to solve it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem and had to replace the water pump, pulleys and serpentine belt. 2 mos later the serpentine belt is shredded, I overheated again, and they tell me I failed the combustion test so I have a crack in the cylinder. ?

·
Super Moderator
774 Posts
Had the same problem and had to replace the water pump, pulleys and serpentine belt. 2 mos later the serpentine belt is shredded, I overheated again, and they tell me I failed the combustion test so I have a crack in the cylinder. ?
If you had a cracked cylinder your engine would not run correctly - I believe you mean head gasket. Its' a "compression test" BTW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not all coolant leaks are the headgasket, folks online tend to read things like this and assume 100% of them have this issue etc. Some have had water pump issues or even the expansion tank itself. Just need to work with the dealer to try to solve it.
Couldn't agree more with this statement , ... Main reasons your coolant level is low are as follows :

• From factory , the manufacturer will fill the cooling system with barely enough coolant ( saves them a lot of scratch! )
  • During PDI , Dealers will not top off expansion bay because manufacturer will not cover the cost
  • Cost is often transferred to customer during first full maintenance when done at dealer ... not just an oil change
  • it is not a sealed system at all times , your expansion bay has a valve « cap » that lets too much pressure out if that is the case to prevent damage to the whole cooling system
  • CDVC 3596ccm engine's are known for this , also the expansion bay is the same size as a 4 cyl engine ...
  • Topping it off at least once a year is completely NORMAL for any brand not only VW with a tiny expansion reservoir
  • Yes , thermostat housing , water pumps and rads are sometimes issues , that's what a 5Y/100k warranty is for
  • Head gasket issues are usually accompanied by misfires, MIL , sweet burnt smell , white smoke from exhaust , poor performance , contaminated oil / coolant ... etc .....

I've been in the car business since I was I teenager and I have made it a career for over 25 years now and still going strong ... as a tech , as a service advisor and as a service director for whatever manufacturer you can think of and I still can't believe how many customers get the wrong information online. The best resource is your local dealer service advisor ... and if you don't like what he says you seek out another service advisor's input at the next closest dealer ... and so on.

Now I'm not saying everyone online is wrong but not everybody online knows what they are talking about ... I Guess my point is ... you don't go to webMD when have a lump on your sack ... you have it checked out and you go see a Doctor with some training who knows what he's doing or he refers you to someone who does.

Sorry if its a snoozer , but it's just my two cents

Have fun and drive safely

1 - 11 of 11 Posts