Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is the issue resolved by replacing the head gasket? Are the new Atlas that come from the factory being fixed prior to landing? Are they torquing the bolts correctly now? Looking at a 2019 SEL Premium 4 Motion. MSRP $51,245 ...Looking to get it for $42,000 plus tax, just came off the truck from the factory, still wrapped in plastic. I'm hoping these known issues have been addressed. Any idea?
Do not buy an Atlas

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is this issue more prominent on 2018 models or all years so far? Was about ready to buy a brand new 2019 in the next week but all these coolant/head gasket complaints have got me seriously second guessing my number 1 vehicle choice
Do not purchase this vehicle!!!!!!

·
Banned
109 Posts
I have an atlas with the same problem!! And I have taken it to the dealer several times and they can not find the problem. What do I do?
I agree with your previous posts warning whoever to not buy an atlas, I wish I never did! But we both made a bad decision and looks like you still have issues to deal with. I had the same message from the service dept when i was dealing with coolant issues. You need to tell your service advisor you want the engine bore scoped. A lot of these things that are losing coolant are doing so internally so they are not seeing traditional puddles. this is how they found my issue and by that time my engine needed completely torn apart and many components were affected. HUGE warranty repair bill.

The service depts are lazy and are not putting the time to truly inspect the issue.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Just got this text from a buddy who bought a 2019 SEL r line after we recommended it to them shortly after we bought ours and before ours turned to garbo. Prime example of why reviews and personal recommendations don’t mean jack until you’ve actually owned and used any product for atleast a year. I genuinely feel bad he is now dealing with these headaches. I should have just let him buy the Q7 they were originally looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m sitting at the $tealership now... 3rd time in a month with this issue. 2018 with 35k miles. Replaced head gasket a few weeks ago, visibly low level (no light yet) but can smell coolant in the garage after it’s driven. Of course they service rep is like a deer in headlights giving the run around. May have to move the up the chain because dealing with the dealership is like watching grass grow.

·
Banned
109 Posts
I’m sitting at the $tealership now... 3rd time in a month with this issue. 2018 with 35k miles. Replaced head gasket a few weeks ago, visibly low level (no light yet) but can smell coolant in the garage after it’s driven. Of course they service rep is like a deer in headlights giving the run around. May have to move the up the chain because dealing with the dealership is like watching grass grow.
Id be interested what they try to BS you with this time... clearly isnt " normal" ..... Time to get rid of that thing....

·
Registered
68 Posts
just bought a used 18 selp 4m v6 with 15k mi and i don't smell any coolant and level is normal so knock on wood. i share the frustration with those that are affected but seems like some have a lemon and making generalization to not buy a model based on anecdotal evidence is bit extreme. all cars no matter what brand will have a lemon and some will be unfortunate to have to own one.

·
Banned
109 Posts
just bought a used 18 selp 4m v6 with 15k mi and i don't smell any coolant and level is normal so knock on wood. i share the frustration with those that are affected but seems like some have a lemon and making generalization to not buy a model based on anecdotal evidence is bit extreme. all cars no matter what brand will have a lemon and some will be unfortunate to have to own one.
a lot of owners had/have lemons And the atlas is one of the worst autos in terms of reliability since its release. Every report backs that’s up. Every manufacturer has some bad apples but vw has 10x the amount. VW is a true get what you pay for auto. Cheap basic “German luxury” at an affordable price with terrible reliability and awful resale value.

·
Registered
68 Posts
a lot of owners had/have lemons And the atlas is one of the worst autos in terms of reliability since its release. Every report backs that’s up. Every manufacturer has some bad apples but vw has 10x the amount. VW is a true get what you pay for auto. Cheap basic “German luxury” at an affordable price with terrible reliability and awful resale value.
while i would agree vw is not known for its stellar reliability, i'm sure there are vast number of others who have had no issues. between 18 and 19 there were over 140k atlas sold in the US. this forum has 1.7k registered users and of those a small subset of owners are having issues as bad as you are. if the car is so unreliable as you say it is, i would expect many more people speaking up as these forums tend to draw out the negatives more than positives but that just doesn't seem to be the case here.

·
Banned
109 Posts
while i would agree vw is not known for its stellar reliability, i'm sure there are vast number of others who have had no issues. between 18 and 19 there were over 140k atlas sold in the US. this forum has 1.7k registered users and of those a small subset of owners are having issues as bad as you are. if the car is so unreliable as you say it is, i would expect many more people speaking up as these forums tend to draw out the negatives more than positives but that just doesn't seem to be the case here.
You just bought one and are excited about you’re purchase so I don’t expect you to understand the reality of this vehicle. we were like that for the first few months too.

You’re numbers do not support a great argument at such a small sample. Most of which are VW loyalists no matter what. But the fact that every auto review says they are piles of junk is the true testimony and that is also the main reason why the resale value is garbage as well. Check the car fax on used ones, issues all over the place. Some people deal with it and some chose to dump the junk before any further damage is done.

I learned my lesson the hard way as did many other owners - the atlas is a bust

·
Registered
68 Posts
You just bought one and are excited about you’re purchase so I don’t expect you to understand the reality of this vehicle. we were like that for the first few months too.

You’re numbers do not support a great argument at such a small sample. Most of which are VW loyalists no matter what. But the fact that every auto review says they are piles of junk is the true testimony and that is also the main reason why the resale value is garbage as well. Check the car fax on used ones, issues all over the place. Some people deal with it and some chose to dump the junk before any further damage is done.

I learned my lesson the hard way as did many other owners - the atlas is a bust
i've had many cars both new/used and they've all had share of issues some worse than others. you say every auto reviews claims atlas is junk but that is far fetched. in fact, those that tested it for the long term 20-30k mi (c/d, kbb, edmund, mt, etc...) all did not mention any major issues. as far as resale value, quick kbb trade in value seems to show maybe $1-2k below average depreciation.

i get that you obviously had bad experience with it and bitter that you had to take a significant loss on it. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this car will be trouble free but if issues arise you can bet that i will be taking full advantage of the warranty and vw will be on the hook for the next 4+ years. now who's the sucker lol...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My New Atlas S 4motion V6 7000 miles already has a coolant leak. Its so small that there is no puddles on the ground only a sweet smell and the coolant tank is letting lower and lower. It seems to smell more on the left side of the vehicle. Anyone else with this issue? Can I temporarily use water to get be to the dealer ( 300 miles)
[/QUO
wonder if there's a way to locate the leak... Maybe try another dealership and hope that service department can figure out the coolant problem? Seems crazy to have it just "evaporate" twice in such a short amount of time.
in My case the leak start in the water pump. (Starting with a small leak and now I have leak + water pump Noise ) Now I Need to change It.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My New Atlas S 4motion V6 7000 miles already has a coolant leak. Its so small that there is no puddles on the ground only a sweet smell and the coolant tank is letting lower and lower. It seems to smell more on the left side of the vehicle. Anyone else with this issue? Can I temporarily use water to get be to the dealer ( 300 miles)
I am currently having the head gasket replaced for the same issue on the ‘19 2.0/SE w/ tech. They did a pressure test as soon as I brought it in. Unfortunately they don’t have a loaner they can offer or a rental!

·
Super Moderator
594 Posts
I am currently having the head gasket replaced for the same issue on the ‘19 2.0/SE w/ tech. They did a pressure test as soon as I brought it in. Unfortunately they don’t have a loaner they can offer or a rental!
Woah! The 2.0 needs a head gasket? That is v. odd. The 3.6 VR definately has had this issue but I don' think I've ever heard of a 2.9 with it...the 2.0 is known to have a thermostat housing leak, not bad head gaskets. Keep in mind this is the same 2.0 in the GTI. Weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Woah! The 2.0 needs a head gasket? That is v. odd. The 3.6 VR definately has had this issue but I don' think I've ever heard of a 2.9 with it...the 2.0 is known to have a thermostat housing leak, not bad head gaskets. Keep in mind this is the same 2.0 in the GTI. Weird.
My 2018 2.0 had the head and gasket replaced at 5k miles. I bought it with 13k and found out after the sale, I smell coolant in the engine compartment but the level has not changed in 3 months, My 02 TDI Jetta also smells coolant but i have never found a leak or lost coolant either. Doesn't sounds right but that is what I have experienced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, all the same symptoms as folks posted. (I’m ~12k miles) They pressure tested, knew there was a leak but couldn’t pinpoint, they placed dye in and I ran it for another day with some backup fluid in case the light went on again and they let me know it was leaking at the head gasket the next day. They said they’d turn it around by Monday. So that’s about 4 working days. Just sucks they can’t give me a loaner and issues with rentals due to COVID.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Yes my 19 Atlas had the same issue twice the reason that you don't see any puddling is because the coolant is leaking back into the motor and it will eventually overheat you will get the is scary warning symbol that will pop up on the dash and when you take it to the dealer the dealership will probably replace the head gasket first it will happen again and then they will have to replace the heads because from what I was told during assembly from the factory the heads were over torqued heads causing them to leak internally back into the motor and mixing so even if they put a head gasket on the first time it will happen again due to the misshapen heads it's really a shame because it's such an awesome design and me and my family really love the vehicle who would think as long as VW has been in business wouldn't have these issues it's a beautiful piece of ****.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an atlas loaner YAY, they decided to make one used I guess 2019. I will keep this updated.

/Derail on
I noticed the 2019 atlas SE doesn't have parking distance noise or auto opening trunk as my 2018 SEL but it DOES HAVE a sunglass holder above, air care climatron option?, And silver brushed aluminum looking trim vs our ugly wood look.
/Derail off
Hey! I like our "ugly wood look"! Haven't seen the aluminium trim, but I adore my 2018 Atlas as is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE

I hope moving "up the chain" works for you because my local VW rep isn't a lot of help so far. I too have the mysterious coolant leak where 2x a year my low coolant light comes on the dealer tops me off. I have 48,000 miles in 3 years. I've had a new reservoir, new cap, new clamp...and now they just say it's holding pressure and must be evaporating. I asked how it is that no other car I have ever owned had this issue of coolant evaporating and they just stared at me. The rep called and reiterated the same thing to me today and wanted to know what else he could do to help. I suggested VW figure out what is wrong with the engine and fix it once and for all or extend my warranty until the engine fails completely.

I also have a sun roof leak that has been "fixed" twice but now my beige headliner is staining. Today's excuse was the leak was repaired and that it's just standing water finally coming through and staining my headliner. Great - water has been sitting in my headliner for a year....

·
Registered
13 Posts

121 - 140 of 142 Posts