Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Car is done...here is a list of what was done.

Picking it up Monday & praying they did not damage bumper or anything they removed...All the cylinders except 1 & 3 had coolant in them & cylinder head was warped. What a joke that they could have this problem for almost 2 years & not catch it during assembly...makes you wonder.

03H-103-063-AG
Labor Type: WV03 Part Description
Qty List CYL HEAD 1
N-101-243-06 BOLT 1
03H-121-041-A WASHER 1
03H-121-041-B WASHER 1
095-323-971 SEAL RING 2
WHT-005-184 SEAL RING 1
N-908-946-01 NUT 12
N-910-717-01 BOLT 2
N-101-244-08 BOLT 8
N-911-180-01 BOLT 2
N-106-221-01 BOLT 3
WHT-005-465 BOLT 13
03H-121-041 WASHER 1
N-107-418-01 BOLT 7
03H-109-140-B GASKET 1
03H-133-237-E GASKET 1
03H-133-237-G GASKET 4
03H-133-237-D GASKET 1
03H-133-237-J GASKET 2
03H-145-113 GASKET 1
WHT-005-466 BOLT 7
03H-198-149 GASKET SET 3
03H-198-149-A GASKET SET 3
03H-133-322-H HOSE 1
03H-109-091 GASKET 2
WHT-000-729-A BOLT 3
03H-253-050-D GASKET 1
03H-253-039-H GASKET 1
D-176-501-A1 SEALANT 1
03H-103-383-K GASKET 1
03H-103-483-E GASKET 1
G-013-A8J-1G COOL.ADD. 1
03H-115-562 FILTERELEM 1
N-908-132-02 SCREW 1
5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL 60
5Q0-819-644-A POL FILTER 1
03H-109-507-A TENSIONER 1
03H-121-118 CONNECTION 1
D-454-300-A2 SEALANT 1
N-104-514-05 BOLT 2
N-105-821-03 SCREW 2
N-106-139-01 BOLT 1
N-902-929-03 BOLT 2
N-909-658-02 BOLT 1
N-909-658-02 BOLT 3
03F-919-501-B SENDER 1
3939 Verified customer concern of coolant smell with no leaks present. Pressure tested system and verified no leaks under pressure, Kept pressure tester on and removed ignition coils and spark plugs to check for leakage into cylinders. Found cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 6 to have coolant leaking into cylinders. Removed battery, intake, battery tray, both front wheels, wheel liners, radiator grille, front bumper cover, lower engine cover, upper intake manifold, vacuum pump, high pressure fuel pump, lower fuel rail, lower intake manifold, upper fuel rail, valve cover, catalytic converter heat shield, cats from head, upper timing chain cover, cam adjusters, timed engine, cam bridge, vacuum pump sprocket, removed cylinder head. Check cylinder head for distortion and found .127mm distortion. (max .05mm). Replaced cylinder head, cylinder head gasket, valve cover gasket,

·
Banned
109 Posts
Car is done...here is a list of what was done.

Picking it up Monday & praying they did not damage bumper or anything they removed...All the cylinders except 1 & 3 had coolant in them & cylinder head was warped. What a joke that they could have this problem for almost 2 years & not catch it during assembly...makes you wonder.

03H-103-063-AG
Labor Type: WV03 Part Description
Qty List CYL HEAD 1
N-101-243-06 BOLT 1
03H-121-041-A WASHER 1
03H-121-041-B WASHER 1
095-323-971 SEAL RING 2
WHT-005-184 SEAL RING 1
N-908-946-01 NUT 12
N-910-717-01 BOLT 2
N-101-244-08 BOLT 8
N-911-180-01 BOLT 2
N-106-221-01 BOLT 3
WHT-005-465 BOLT 13
03H-121-041 WASHER 1
N-107-418-01 BOLT 7
03H-109-140-B GASKET 1
03H-133-237-E GASKET 1
03H-133-237-G GASKET 4
03H-133-237-D GASKET 1
03H-133-237-J GASKET 2
03H-145-113 GASKET 1
WHT-005-466 BOLT 7
03H-198-149 GASKET SET 3
03H-198-149-A GASKET SET 3
03H-133-322-H HOSE 1
03H-109-091 GASKET 2
WHT-000-729-A BOLT 3
03H-253-050-D GASKET 1
03H-253-039-H GASKET 1
D-176-501-A1 SEALANT 1
03H-103-383-K GASKET 1
03H-103-483-E GASKET 1
G-013-A8J-1G COOL.ADD. 1
03H-115-562 FILTERELEM 1
N-908-132-02 SCREW 1
5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL 60
5Q0-819-644-A POL FILTER 1
03H-109-507-A TENSIONER 1
03H-121-118 CONNECTION 1
D-454-300-A2 SEALANT 1
N-104-514-05 BOLT 2
N-105-821-03 SCREW 2
N-106-139-01 BOLT 1
N-902-929-03 BOLT 2
N-909-658-02 BOLT 1
N-909-658-02 BOLT 3
03F-919-501-B SENDER 1
3939 Verified customer concern of coolant smell with no leaks present. Pressure tested system and verified no leaks under pressure, Kept pressure tester on and removed ignition coils and spark plugs to check for leakage into cylinders. Found cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 6 to have coolant leaking into cylinders. Removed battery, intake, battery tray, both front wheels, wheel liners, radiator grille, front bumper cover, lower engine cover, upper intake manifold, vacuum pump, high pressure fuel pump, lower fuel rail, lower intake manifold, upper fuel rail, valve cover, catalytic converter heat shield, cats from head, upper timing chain cover, cam adjusters, timed engine, cam bridge, vacuum pump sprocket, removed cylinder head. Check cylinder head for distortion and found .127mm distortion. (max .05mm). Replaced cylinder head, cylinder head gasket, valve cover gasket,
Yup. A lot of atlas’ out there I’m with this repair. They need a recall. Ours had this exact same repair completed and then the coolant was low again. We took our loses and dumped it. Best decision ever

·
Registered
19 Posts
So how quickly did your coolant drop after the repair? Man I hope I don’t have that issue too...

The Atlas SE Tech 4 motion loaner with 4,200 miles already has low coolant too, lower than mine. This was today before starting.

·
Banned
109 Posts
So how quickly did your coolant drop after the repair? Man I hope I don’t have that issue too...

The Atlas SE Tech 4 motion loaner with 4,200 miles already has low coolant too, lower than mine. This was today before starting. View attachment 1159

It was low again within 2 weeks of picking it up from getting over $12k of repair work completed. I specifically asked before I left the service center if I should experience ANY coolant loss in the puke tank. They said NO. I confirmed there should be no pressure build up or additional coolant being pulled into the lines because it was all rebuilt and they assured me that my tank should stay full and they test drive it for xxx amount of miles to ensure it was in perfect working order. Well it wasn't in perfect working order and I was done with it, couldn't deal with the headache anymore.... Too many excuses on why coolant gets low. " low from the factory, cant find why, its a vw thing, its actually normal" All BS. I heard it for months and then i needed a complete engine rebuild along with a new transfer case.

Do your self a favor and take the kick in the shorts now, the resale value is horrible and will only get worse. Especially the more issues that arise and are public knowledge, the softer the market will get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is a lease & it’s only 3 years so we will be ok & they discounted the car $9000 & interest rate is almost zero so as long as I get a loaner during warranty repairs we will be fine. Will run not walk away from lease & will not pay any disposition fee if it keeps having to be repaired. Really is a shame because I like how it looks & drives & fits our family’s needs quite well. I think a 2.0T Rline would be the ticket but not available yet.
Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Mine is a lease & it’s only 3 years so we will be ok & they discounted the car $9000 & interest rate is almost zero so as long as I get a loaner during warranty repairs we will be fine. Will run not walk away from lease & will not pay any disposition fee if it keeps having to be repaired. Really is a shame because I like how it looks & drives & fits our family’s needs quite well. I think a 2.0T Rline would be the ticket but not available yet.
Thanks for your input.
totally agree with you. We had very high hopes for the atlas and it fit our family of 6 very nice. Actually better than my wife’s Escalade esv we traded for it. Too bad it was junk and the model has too many serious issues to consider another one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So just picked it up. Fortunately looks like everything was installed nicely & other than some fingerprints no marks on the bumper, hood, or front fenders. Curiously the coolant level is at 3/4 mark when hot...I thought it would be at Max line. I wonder if that Max line is set when car is cold & has sat or if it supposed to be at normal operating temp with the car running? Guess I will ask the Service Advisor. They were kind enough to also fill the fuel tank.

Time will tell how it holds up. Dealer did mention they have done a ton as they service the LAX Rental
Fleet too so it looks like their Techs are well versed in this repair.

·
Banned
109 Posts
I was in the waiting room and figured I’d check to see if my atlas sold on Carvana. It’s pending for $400 more than they paid me for it. But the funny thing is 4 of the 6 atlas’ they have for sale have had either coolant/head gasket , catalytic converter, and/or intake manifolds replaced according to their car faxes. The car fax for my old Atlas doesn’t tell a fraction of the issues it’s had. Makes me not believe in that service as much.

Another fun story about the major issues and headaches of these things. I could smell the coolant walking by a total strangers atlas a few weeks ago. They may want to get that looked at because it not “normal”.

·
Registered
19 Posts
  • So two things I’ve noticed since head was replaced...
    1. While at a stop car will randomly have a miss..some days it does it more frequently & it feels like it’s underneath the car more than in front. Is that what the cats feel like when they go bad?
    2. Front suspension clunks over raised bumps & road imperfections. Fine on big bumps & dips but small things like reflectors make a sound that sounds like sway bar mounts or the springs rattling in their perches.
    I wonder if the warped head sucking coolant into 4 of 6 cylinders & spitting it out exhaust somehow fouled the cats...it would make sense as many people report problems after dealer visit & I bet most dealers top off coolant so more gets sucked in...
6 / 6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Folks, check your coolant every fuel up - it's easy enough to pop the hood. I check my oil, coolant, and air pressure in my tires once every few weeks. Get some G13 rated coolant and some distilled water, mix up a 50 50 blend and keep an eye on it.
Not for nothing, but people buy new cars so they can expect trouble-free service for the first few years. Having to check the coolant level at every fill up, and top off as necessary is so 1970’s. A modern car, especially in the $40k range, should not be losing coolant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 and had the water pump replaced last year along with a bad battery, Dealership mentioned that there was a bad batch of batteries installed in some of the 2018 models. I also had the power drivers seat fail on me as well and they had to replace the module.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Not for nothing, but people buy new cars so they can expect trouble-free service for the first few years. Having to check the coolant level at every fill up, and top off as necessary is so 1970’s. A modern car, especially in the $40k range, should not be losing coolant.
seriously... excellent solution to a major manufacturer issue lol.... I dont even need to do that on my 86' f 150 beater.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update....so the random stumble was two fouled spark plugs. Apparently many have been damaged during shipping with the replacement cylinder head. They replaced all 6 & now all is well.

the suspension clunk was the sway bar links. Both replaced and now it’s smooth & quiet & runs, sounds, & feels like a $43,000 car....unless I forget to use manual mode ant the torque converter squeals when it stays in third going over a speed bump.lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see most say they have V6 models, is anyone having issues with the 2.0T 4 cylinder? I imagine it is just as easy to incorrectly tighten the head bolts on an I4 than a V6. I just picked up CPO 2.0T and made the error of not reading the car-fax completely. I just read the Autocheck report and skimmed the Car-fax. I did not think a car with 13k miles would have had the head and head gasket replaced at 5k miles. Anyway, just read all 114 posts and see this is a huge problem. Hopefully mine was fixed correctly and I am keeping an eye out for coolant levels. What bothers me is I smelled coolant near the driver side of the grill when I was checking out a chip on the headlight. No drips or leaks that I could find right away. For now we drive and keep an eye on the coolant. My 2002 VW Jetta TDI has the same smell up front and I have never seen drop under the car and have never had to add coolant. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I see most say they have V6 models, is anyone having issues with the 2.0T 4 cylinder? I imagine it is just as easy to incorrectly tighten the head bolts on an I4 than a V6. I just picked up CPO 2.0T and made the error of not reading the car-fax completely. I just read the Autocheck report and skimmed the Car-fax. I did not think a car with 13k miles would have had the head and head gasket replaced at 5k miles. Anyway, just read all 114 posts and see this is a huge problem. Hopefully mine was fixed correctly and I am keeping an eye out for coolant levels. What bothers me is I smelled coolant near the driver side of the grill when I was checking out a chip on the headlight. No drips or leaks that I could find right away. For now we drive and keep an eye on the coolant. My 2002 VW Jetta TDI has the same smell up front and I have never seen drop under the car and have never had to add coolant. Fingers crossed.
I too have a 2.0T Atlas and have been keeping my eye out for potential leaks.
So far, it does not seem that there are many, or any, 2.0T Atlas owners complaining about coolant loss.
HOWEVER!
The 2.0T is also known to have a small leak.
I have had a 2012 GTI and a 2015 GTI, both with the 2.0T and while I personally have not had the problem, many have complained of a (mostly) small coolant leak.
On the GTI forums, the consensus is that it is due to faulty water pump and thermostat housing seals.
Personally I have had 6, 2.0T motors in the last 10 years and I have never had any crazy issues with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misery loves company so I wanted to share my story with you. I purchased a 2018 3.6L V6 SE w/Tech on 9/15/2017. Two weeks after I purchased my car the coolant light went on. I called the service department and they said drop by and they will top it off. I went to NAPA and purchased replacement antifreeze. VW antifreeze is fluorescent pink, not fluorescent green and it is the most expensive product at NAPA. I was told by VW if you put fluorescent green antifreeze then you void your Warranty. I had to refill my reservoir twice over the last two years. On December 4, 2019 my heat went out and took it in for service. I was told they fixed the problem and my car now had heat. While driving home I did not have heat. If my car idled it would warm up but if I drove on the highway, it would not stay warm. Obviously they did not test drive it. We had several days of good weather but I finally got my car back to the dealer on December 11, 2019. They still have my car (4/28/2020) with no corrective plan of action. But they have done a lot of work on my car. Replaced water pump three times, replaced Serpentine timing belt, replaced head and gasket and much more. To replace the water pump it is a 16 hour tear down. They literally have to remove the front of the car which includes bumper, radiator/fan. The odd water pump housing does not have any leak paths in the casting so when you have a bad pump, the coolant pushes past your seals and enters the engine contaminating the oil. To flush the engine I was told by the Service Manager they basically change the oil eight times. VW has a spec on how to decontaminate the engine. Remember, when coolant and oil mix in an aluminum machine cast engine block, it will begin to corrode...everything. From the engine block, head, gaskets, cylinder rods, cylinders and the even the engine bores where the cylinder rides. After they completed this repair, the second water pump failed as well. When they removed the spark plugs they found coolant at the bottom clearly showing a fouled engine. When they replaced the third water pump they also replaced the head due to poor factory torque during assembly. Because the lemon law is only during the first year, I am not able to pursue that route. I’m hoping VW does the right thing but it does not appear that is going to happen. My lawyer has recommended the use of the magnuson moss warranty act but the Dealer has not given me the list of repairs performed over the last five months since they are not finished. So when the get done with my car I will begin the tortuous task of trying to become whole again. They have provided me with a courtesy car to drive but it is a 2019 V6 S w/4Motion. No dynamic cruise control, no leatherette seats, no digital automatic thermostat temp control settings, no VW CarNet (purchased 3 year plan)...basically a rental car. I don’t blame the dealer, although I thought they would be going to bat for me. I suspect if you have low coolant, then you have coolant mixed with your engine oil and the longer it’s mixed, the life of your engine is reduced.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Misery loves company so I wanted to share my story with you. I purchased a 2018 3.6L V6 SE w/Tech on 9/15/2017. Two weeks after I purchased my car the coolant light went on. I called the service department and they said drop by and they will top it off. I went to NAPA and purchased replacement antifreeze. VW antifreeze is fluorescent pink, not fluorescent green and it is the most expensive product at NAPA. I was told by VW if you put fluorescent green antifreeze then you void your Warranty. I had to refill my reservoir twice over the last two years. On December 4, 2019 my heat went out and took it in for service. I was told they fixed the problem and my car now had heat. While driving home I did not have heat. If my car idled it would warm up but if I drove on the highway, it would not stay warm. Obviously they did not test drive it. We had several days of good weather but I finally got my car back to the dealer on December 11, 2019. They still have my car (4/28/2020) with no corrective plan of action. But they have done a lot of work on my car. Replaced water pump three times, replaced Serpentine timing belt, replaced head and gasket and much more. To replace the water pump it is a 16 hour tear down. They literally have to remove the front of the car which includes bumper, radiator/fan. The odd water pump housing does not have any leak paths in the casting so when you have a bad pump, the coolant pushes past your seals and enters the engine contaminating the oil. To flush the engine I was told by the Service Manager they basically change the oil eight times. VW has a spec on how to decontaminate the engine. Remember, when coolant and oil mix in an aluminum machine cast engine block, it will begin to corrode...everything. From the engine block, head, gaskets, cylinder rods, cylinders and the even the engine bores where the cylinder rides. After they completed this repair, the second water pump failed as well. When they removed the spark plugs they found coolant at the bottom clearly showing a fouled engine. When they replaced the third water pump they also replaced the head due to poor factory torque during assembly. Because the lemon law is only during the first year, I am not able to pursue that route. I’m hoping VW does the right thing but it does not appear that is going to happen. My lawyer has recommended the use of the magnuson moss warranty act but the Dealer has not given me the list of repairs performed over the last five months since they are not finished. So when the get done with my car I will begin the tortuous task of trying to become whole again. They have provided me with a courtesy car to drive but it is a 2019 V6 S w/4Motion. No dynamic cruise control, no leatherette seats, no digital automatic thermostat temp control settings, no VW CarNet (purchased 3 year plan)...basically a rental car. I don’t blame the dealer, although I thought they would be going to bat for me. I suspect if you have low coolant, then you have coolant mixed with your engine oil and the longer it’s mixed, the life of your engine is reduced.
Unbelievable ! Ours coolant issue was " normal" for months until they actually put some effort into it and found coolant leaking internally as well. Basically the same repair list you had. Its Amazing how VW continues to look the other way and completely screw over their buyers. Good Luck with the fight! You deserve you're hard earned money back. That car will never hold value or run the way its supposed to and definitely not for an extended time. If the atlas was a medical device, the FDA would have recalled it and taken it off the market to protect its users, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My New Atlas S 4motion V6 7000 miles already has a coolant leak. Its so small that there is no puddles on the ground only a sweet smell and the coolant tank is letting lower and lower. It seems to smell more on the left side of the vehicle. Anyone else with this issue? Can I temporarily use water to get be to the dealer ( 300 miles)
I have an atlas with the same problem!! And I have taken it to the dealer several times and they can not find the problem. What do I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My HVAC makes noise when I am stopped at a light or stop sign (start stop button off). The issue is intermittent and I can never get it to repeat at the dealership of course.
It sounds like a rattle is coming through and as soon as I turn the air off and back on it stops. My husband also had to place coolant in my car. I’ve owned an SEL since January and got the engine coolant light around 13k miles.
I also wonder if this rattle is something to do with a coolant leak the dealership claims they can’t find.
I have the same problem!!!😫😡😡😡

101 - 120 of 143 Posts