Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
The dealer has already replaced my water pump due to the same issue saying there was a small crack in some adapter. This was about 5-6000 miles ago. It is currently sending the same error message with the low coolant leak, so here we go again!!
I have read of a lot of folks getting their water pump replaced to solve this and it comes back needing the headgasket….the dealers aren't diagnosing this correctly for lots of people which is crazy to me. I know VW has to have a TSB out on this so they should be well aware when an Atlas comes in for low coolant that it *could * be the headgasket.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Still dealing with this coolant issue. I am hoping that when Carvana comes on Friday to check it out that they hold to their offer of $30,100 I’m taking it. Just had Lexus offer $26k this weekend and ask why it smelled. Horrendous value. If i do for some reason end up keeping this(financial decision only) I just got quoted $2800 to take the car to 150k miles under an extended warranty. Seems high but a necessity if I’m going to own this pile for the next 4 years.

Anyway, I just dropped our atlas off for the third time regarding coolant. No lights but strong odor and the coolant has sank from where they drew on the tank line the last time. I made sure the advisor and bay tech smelled the odor and confirmed they wrote it In the paperwork. Also snapped a pic of the reservoir with the fluid lower than the base mark. They need to figure this out. This is crazy!

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Still dealing with this coolant issue. I am hoping that when Carvana comes on Friday to check it out that they hold to their offer of $30,100 I’m taking it. Just had Lexus offer $26k this weekend and ask why it smelled. Horrendous value. If i do for some reason end up keeping this(financial decision only) I just got quoted $2800 to take the car to 150k miles under an extended warranty. Seems high but a necessity if I’m going to own this pile for the next 4 years.

Anyway, I just dropped our atlas off for the third time regarding coolant. No lights but strong odor and the coolant has sank from where they drew on the tank line the last time. I made sure the advisor and bay tech smelled the odor and confirmed they wrote it In the paperwork. Also snapped a pic of the reservoir with the fluid lower than the base mark. They need to figure this out. This is crazy!
You think you'll go over 72K in 4 years? Also, have you considered pointing the service advisor/techs to the plethora of info online (here, vortex and FB groups) with info related to getting the head gaskets replaced? I always wonder what the response is to "Why specifically won't you replace the head gasket when it's clearly the source of the leak?"

·
Banned
109 Posts
You think you'll go over 72K in 4 years? Also, have you considered pointing the service advisor/techs to the plethora of info online (here, vortex and FB groups) with info related to getting the head gaskets replaced? I always wonder what the response is to "Why specifically won't you replace the head gasket when it's clearly the source of the leak?"
Yeah, we will go over the miles within the next 18 months. We enjoy family road trips all summer so we rack the miles up pretty quick. Sometimes I drive it for work as well when I have trips over 3 hours because it does ride much quieter and smoother than my truck.

I’ve not showed them the forum but I’ve mentioned everything I’ve read regarding what other atlases had repaired. Head gasket, water pump, etc..... there is no way around it this time. The tank was below where they drew the baseline mark from the last time it was in 3 weeks ago and they acknowledged they also smell coolant. You should NEVER smell coolant unless there is seepage or leaks. I will snap mentally if they try to tell me “the pressure of the system made it low” or “it was low from the factory and it’s working through it” or “ it’s normal”. I’ve had enough of being patient.

I emailed VW Corp again (w/ coolant pic) and asked the case be reopened since they have been completely worthless and unwilling to assist. I am filing the lemon law paperwork tomorrow even though I am not Confident it will favor me since I didn’t have an issue within 12k miles but maybe I can get somewhere being it’s total history of being a complete POS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wife just called me this morning at work regarding out 2019 Atlas SEL having a coolant light warning go off this morning when she started it up. We bought it in Dec 2018 and have about 15k miles on it.

Now it was 22 degrees last night and I don't have eyes on the car right now to see where the coolant level sits right now, but barring seeing anything major when I pop the hood, do you guys think I should plan to press the issue with the dealer about the gasket right out of the gate? Or at least ensure they check it?

Also, what coolant do you recommend I put into the car if I can't get it into the shop immediately (i.e. within the day type of thing).

Full disclosure, I'm not a savvy car guy. Bear with me!

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Wife just called me this morning at work regarding out 2019 Atlas SEL having a coolant light warning go off this morning when she started it up. We bought it in Dec 2018 and have about 15k miles on it.

Now it was 22 degrees last night and I don't have eyes on the car right now to see where the coolant level sits right now, but barring seeing anything major when I pop the hood, do you guys think I should plan to press the issue with the dealer about the gasket right out of the gate? Or at least ensure they check it?

Also, what coolant do you recommend I put into the car if I can't get it into the shop immediately (i.e. within the day type of thing).

First off, just top it off and note the mileage - even take a picture. Being paranoid that this automatically equals head gasket is not warranted. I would pick up some G13/equivalent coolant (it's pink) and top it off. If it continue to be an issue, yes, ask the dealer to evaluate it which will involve a pressure test. It is not uncommon for the coolant to get low in the overflow tank once after purchase. The dealer will not just do your headgasket b/c the coolant level was low one time.

·
Banned
109 Posts

Speaking from experience here I would leave it sit the way it is and take it to the dealer with the light on.. You can add bottled water to the tank if you absolutely need to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First off, just top it off and note the mileage - even take a picture. Being paranoid that this automatically equals head gasket is not warranted. I would pick up some G13/equivalent coolant (it's pink) and top it off. If it continue to be an issue, yes, ask the dealer to evaluate it which will involve a pressure test. It is not uncommon for the coolant to get low in the overflow tank once after purchase. The dealer will not just do your headgasket b/c the coolant level was low one time.
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
After 3x in for a coolant smell they are replacing the head gasket. Apparently they ran a borescope and saw drops of coolant in one of the cylinder heads. They said they are going to throw as many new parts on as possible while it’s in there. Will have it back in a week. What a terrible terrible vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After 3x in for a coolant smell they are replacing the head gasket. Apparently they ran a borescope and saw drops of coolant in one of the cylinder heads. They said they are going to throw as many new parts on as possible while it’s in there. Will have it back in a week. What a terrible terrible vehicle.
Well, my Atlas went into dealership Wednesday to have head gasket replaced. Got my car back Friday evening and this is what was done. Removed head and replaced head gasket, replaced head bolts and upper timing seals. Replaced oil and filter and coolant. Replaced seals for fuel injectors, high pressure pump, vacuum pump, upper and lower intake seals, manifold gaskets and timing cover seals for actuators. Vehicle was test driven and pressurized system, verified no more leaks. Look at the parts list 13 gaskets were replaced. 6 gasket set what ever that is. 5 head bolts. 2 nuts. 1 stud. 1 seal ring. Plus oil filter, 6 quarts of oil and new coolant. Glad this is all under #Warranty. By the way I have 11,231 miles on it. Bought it in April 2019

·
Banned
109 Posts
Well, my Atlas went into dealership Wednesday to have head gasket replaced. Got my car back Friday evening and this is what was done. Removed head and replaced head gasket, replaced head bolts and upper timing seals. Replaced oil and filter and coolant. Replaced seals for fuel injectors, high pressure pump, vacuum pump, upper and lower intake seals, manifold gaskets and timing cover seals for actuators. Vehicle was test driven and pressurized system, verified no more leaks. Look at the parts list 13 gaskets were replaced. 6 gasket set what ever that is. 5 head bolts. 2 nuts. 1 stud. 1 seal ring. Plus oil filter, 6 quarts of oil and new coolant. Glad this is all under #Warranty. By the way I have 11,231 miles on it. Bought it in April 2019
Absolutely unacceptable. VW should be ashamed to produce this garbage. And to top it off they are no help at the corporate level and basically tell you to piss off and deal with it. Can you imagine trying to sell these things and someone actually pulls the service history? On one hand you could think well what are the chances that stuff needs replaced again but on the other they’d run like the wind.

I’ve had push button start, front suspension, seatbelt buckles, rear climate screen, and now a head gasket plus whatever else they do replaced in 14 months. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took the Atlas to the dealer to have the catalytic converter replaced. A few minutes down the road and I smell something... like is hot type smell and I wrote it off as the new converter. The next day I was driving and suddenly the low coolant light comes on. After a few minutes, I pull over and open the hood. I see what looks like an overflow of coolant around the fil/overflow tank and smell strong coolant. I check the cover on the tank and it's loose, so I tighten it down. I'll check the tank in the daylight and look more at the level, etc. My main question is... Any reason the coolant tank cap would be loose, other than someone left it loose? Also, any reason the coolant system or tank would have been touched to replace the converter? Around 52000 miles and was last serviced around 49000 and never any coolant issues raised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is the issue resolved by replacing the head gasket? Are the new Atlas that come from the factory being fixed prior to landing? Are they torquing the bolts correctly now? Looking at a 2019 SEL Premium 4 Motion. MSRP $51,245 ...Looking to get it for $42,000 plus tax, just came off the truck from the factory, still wrapped in plastic. I'm hoping these known issues have been addressed. Any idea?

·
Banned
109 Posts
So is the issue resolved by replacing the head gasket? Are the new Atlas that come from the factory being fixed prior to landing? Are they torquing the bolts correctly now? Looking at a 2019 SEL Premium 4 Motion. MSRP $51,245 ...Looking to get it for $42,000 plus tax, just came off the truck from the factory, still wrapped in plastic. I'm hoping these known issues have been addressed. Any idea?
That is the million dollar question.... I honestly don't think half these techs know what they are looking for. My service dept told me for 2 months and multiple visits that they couldn't " replicate" the issue even though they acknowledged the smell of coolant. Now they say they can see " what the think is coolant" on top of the cylinder heads from scoping the engine. Why didn't they do that first? Now VW has approved a head gasket along with whatever they feel they need to change once in there. A head gasket is a huge deal no matter what brand you are driving and anytime you open up the engine its a cause of major risk.

I should get it back tomorrow. VW corp has opened my case back up and hopefully they will do the right thing and buy this awful Atlas back. My family doesn't deserve to ride around or pay for this unreliable brand new car that we have no confidence in. If not, Iv'e already made a lump sum payment to cover the negative equity and i'm selling to carvana. Either way it will be gone by March 1 and I cant wait! I hate to even look at it in the driveway at this point even though its at the dealer more than home.

I do believe we got a lemon and the service history supports that. But the atlas has major flaws that VW so far has done nothing to combat upfront. They thank you for the email, call, etc.... tell you its normal and send you on your way. Its a nice car and offers a lot of nice features but I wouldn't even consider buying another if it was 50% off.

From a buyers side, what is your strategy to get over $9k off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We dropped our Atlas on 1/7/20 due to the low coolant issue and we still don't have it back.

What are others doing? Anyone had luck with Lemon Laws surrounding this issue? If so, how does one proceed with that? The dealership says everything they do they have to then run tests and report back to VW, and that's why it's taking so long, but 3 weeks?

Getting pretty frustrated by this whole experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That bull, you are getting run around. be willing to bet $1,000 that the head gasket is leaking. everyone who is having same issue with low coolant lights coming on are finding leaking head gaskets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any suggestions on how to proceed. Dealership has not been receptive to feedback and getting tired of waiting for vehicle.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts