Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oct. 2019, 8000 miles, low coolant light comes on. Took in for service since it’s a closed system, it should not need coolant. Top off coolant and said no leaks that must have been low from factory. Fast forward to Dec. 2019, 10,000 miles, low coolant light comes back on when starting in cold weather. Turn off car and restart, the light and warning went off. ok, so no problem, wrong? Every morning the low coolant light is coming on with a warning symbol to check fluid levels. Got to be a pain in the A..., so I took it into dealer today. He first told me it’s normal for the coolant to contract and that the low coolant light is normal in cold weather because of the coolant that VW uses. I told him that’s bull crap, plus with the warning light coming on upon start up the remote start will not function. again he said that’s normal and I called him out on it. I left the 2019 Atlas 4Motion Sel and told Him to find out what’s wrong and fix it. I didn’t pay $50,000 to have engine problems at 10,000 miles. Long story to short, I pick car back up 8 hours later. They filled the overflow, pressured check the system and it was fine. checked spark plugs looking for coolant contamination and found none. Again checked system out and could not find any leaks anywhere. They call VW and were told to replace the head gasket. So Atlas goes back into dealer ship on Jan.15 and 16, to have head gasket replaced. I am finding out this is a problem with the atlas, something about the head bolts not being torqued to the right specs. My understanding is it permits coolant to seep along the gasket and it burns off as it does. It gives off a hot engine or coolant smell but does not show leakage because it’s such a small amount. It took mine 2000 miles and almost 3 months for light to come on from last time it was top off. They are providing a loaner car while ours is in shop. Only owe a couple Thousand dollars on Atlas. I think as soon as it it paid for, I am trading it in on something else. I truly believe with coolant leaking around head gasket that there has to be engine damage of some kind. Anyway will see what Jan.17 brings and they said if coolant comes on before then to bring it in and they will top it off again. What a joke. This will be my first and my last VW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If there is a coolant leak because of head bolts not properly being torque causing the head gasket to be replaced, then I would think engine should have a life time #Warranty on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2018 SEL Premium here having the exact same problem. Noticed a coolant smell in the engine bay from very early on, but just chalked it up to some coolant being spilled in the engine compartment. No leaks on the ground.

Last week we got a low coolant indicator in the car, called the dealership and had a good laugh after they told me it was "normal dissipation". Brought it in for a pressure test and they say they said it held up. I can only think of two reasons for this: 1) they did it wrong or 2) coolant is leaking into the engine.

Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Same problem found the head bolts not tighten to the proper settings, replacing head gasket

·
Registered
14 Posts
I extended mine when I bought it to unlimited miles and 8years , happy I did. New body old tried and true motor. Why not

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder if they intentionally set head bolts at factory like this where they were on strike for assembly plant where this motor was being built

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
I've read that the bolts weren't torqued properly on some so headgasket can fix. I've read other say the head itself b/c of the improper torque has "warped" so replacing the headgasket alone won't sort it - need to have the head machined/replaced. Mainly speculation combined with some reliable online sources from VW techs on the forums/FB pages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My New Atlas S 4motion V6 7000 miles already has a coolant leak. Its so small that there is no puddles on the ground only a sweet smell and the coolant tank is letting lower and lower. It seems to smell more on the left side of the vehicle. Anyone else with this issue? Can I temporarily use water to get be to the dealer ( 300 miles)
Do you really want to know? Yes I have same problem. No you can not use regular water, you must use VW coolant. Now the worse news. I have a 2019 Atlas 4Motion SEL and also am losing coolant. It’s been to dealer twice. Have not seen a puddle or any water spots. System was put under pressure and still showed no leaks. The remote start on vehicle will OT work with a low coolant warning light on. Dealer said that the coolant contracts when cold and that is normal. I told him that’s bull crap. Closed system, remote start doesn’t work, coolant light on, there was a problem. I to.d him find it and fix it. I didn’t spend $50,000 for a car that I cannot use remote start and have problems. Car goes back to dealer on Jan.15 for major repair. it seems that VW aware of the problem. the head bolts were not torqued to proper settings at factory resulting in a leaking head gasket. It is such a small leak that the coolant vaporizes on the engine before dripping or puddling. The head gasket now has to be replaced. Will take several days in shop. Opening up the top of the engine is not the best thing. My Altas has just about 12,000 miles on it. I have always owned GM products, never problem getting parts or service done. I will be trading this vehicle in for a GM in fall of 2020 on a 2021 vehicle. VW knows this is a problem and is keeping quiet about it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have a coolant issue in my SEL Premium as well. Noted the smell for a while but only started getting warnings recently. Took it in last week and they didn't find anything either, just refilled it. Have about 20k miles on mine.
Most likely head gasket leaking. VW knows about problem. Bolts were not torque properly at factory. Your head gasket will most likely need replaced just as mine is having done, 12,000 miles new

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've read that the bolts weren't torqued properly on some so headgasket can fix. I've read other say the head itself b/c of the improper torque has "warped" so replacing the headgasket alone won't sort it - need to have the head machined/replaced. Mainly speculation combined with some reliable online sources from VW techs on the forums/FB pages.
from what I found out VW is aware of issue and the bolts were not torqued to proper settings at factory, my Atlas is having the head gasket replaced Jan. 15 and 16. Hoping head is ok otherwise they will need to replace head and it will take several months to get a new head in. I refused to let them machine the head down if it is damaged. Atlas only has 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a used 2018 atlas it has about 30k miles on it. Noticed coolant smell but had no visible leak, then after driving it across the country we had the coolant light come on. I checked it and it was indeed low, took it on and they are replacing the radiator and water pump, I guess these are pretty common seeing as the parts are on back order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, dealership replaced our water pump citing it as the source of the problem on Tuesday. Car sat over Christmas doing a pressure test. Picked the car up yesterday and drove it home from the dealer, a little over a 20 mile ride. This morning the auto start doesn’t work and the coolant light is back on, even after the car is warmed up. Check the reservoir and find the level is low. Dealership said the light is normal after bleeding the system, which I would agree with except that it wasn’t on and didn’t come on when we drove it home. They said to bring it back in and they will top it off. I’m tempted to call VWoA and ask that they step in and have the head gasket replaced before the issue ends up getting worse. I really don’t want to have a warped head on a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Picked up our atlas last Saturday for the third time regarding coolant. Today after only driving the car maybe 200 miles since the last pick up the smell of coolant fills the air and garage pungently. No warning light yet though. I emailed the SM and cc’ed corporate. It’s going to go in for the 4th time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes they can do a pressure test. They will hook up to your radiator cap and or coolant resivor tank and pressure the system to specs, if it’s leaking you’ll see the dripping. Done it hundred times on my Rams .. try purging the coolant system. Have a dealer do it. Then refill with coolant. Also check all hoses are tight. Mainly look at the front right tires wheel well, you see anything there ?
Leak could be internal into a cylinder due to a faulty head gasket. They can pull the spark plugs and use a camera to look inside. Clean cylinders is a clear indication, the evaporated coolant steam cleans them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, my Atlas went into dealership Wednesday to have head gasket replaced. Got my car back Friday evening and this is what was done. Removed head and replaced head gasket, replaced head bolts and upper timing seals. Replaced oil and filter and coolant. Replaced seals for fuel injectors, high pressure pump, vacuum pump, upper and lower intake seals, manifold gaskets and timing cover seals for actuators. Vehicle was test drive and pressurized system, verified no more leaks. Looks at the parts list 13 gaskets were replaced. 6 gasket set what ever that is. 5 head bolts. 2 nuts. 1 stud. 1 seal ring. Plus oil filter, 6 quarts of oil and new coolant. Glad this is all under #Warranty. By the way I have 11,231 miles on it. Bought it in April 2019

·
Registered
1 Posts
My New Atlas S 4motion V6 7000 miles already has a coolant leak. Its so small that there is no puddles on the ground only a sweet smell and the coolant tank is letting lower and lower. It seems to smell more on the left side of the vehicle. Anyone else with this issue? Can I temporarily use water to get be to the dealer ( 300 miles)
The dealer has already replaced my water pump due to the same issue saying there was a small crack in some adapter. This was about 5-6000 miles ago. It is currently sending the same error message with the low coolant leak, so here we go again!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dealer has already replaced my water pump due to the same issue saying there was a small crack in some adapter. This was about 5-6000 miles ago. It is currently sending the same error message with the low coolant leak, so here we go again!!
Most likely head gasket, VW knows about a problem with head gasket bolts not torque to proper settings causing a leak

41 - 60 of 129 Posts