Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading in my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI due to some rust starting to form in the rear seam. The dealership has a certified 2018 Atlas FWD 3.6L SE with 38k miles for sale for around $24k. I test drove it along with another vehicle and found it to be really comfortable, quite a bit of tech, and nice looking. VW is currently offering another $500 off if financed through VW, so for around $23,500 this car could be purchased. I have read a lot of negative reviews on other sites pertaining to the auto braking and auto shut off features.
The warranty would be good and long. Just wondering if others here would purchase their Atlas again? The other car they have that I am considering is a 2012 Honda Pilot that is loaded with the features that were available at the time. I know that would be a reliable vehicle and the price difference is about $7k (more for the Atlas of course).
The Honda being a 2012 will probably succumb to rust much faster here in Minnesota, but after my 2012 Sportwagen showing rust already I am not so sure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, what is it with Toyotas and Hondas (mostly Hondas). Had a 90 Honda accord EX coupe and it rusted so bad, the rear bumper fell off just sitting in the drive way. Son got it from his aunt (free) who bought it new in Florida. But Michigan winters killed the poor little thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Minnesota and Michigan road treatments are tough on cars. I think Hondas have gotten quite a bit better though. I see a lot of 10 year old Hondas here with little to no rust on the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. I ended up going with the 2012 Pilot partly because it was AWD and also it seems like VW still has a few things to work out on the Atlas.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Also a much smarter move from a cost and value perspective. That Honda will not lose value nearly as fast if you ever have the immediate need to sell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts