Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
i bought a new 2020 Atlas Cross sport on Sunday 11/30/2020 and noticed the shake on the way home. Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet. i dont want to have to spend months trying to fix it if someone knows the cause.

Update 12/15/2020
I took it to a dealer in Sacramento, they looked it over and found that the tires had flat spots from sitting on the dealers lot for 9 months. The selling dealer agreed to install new tires on the vehicle. Now it drives like a dream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 Cross Sport and had the vibration issue at high speeds from day one. Took it in and they stated that I had two tires that could not be balanced properly. Ordered and then they stated only one was bad and replaced. Much better but not gone. Back in the shop next week at 3500 miles as it returned on my five hour trip this week. Water bottle vibrating and a 6 pack of beer playing music all the way home. I have Goodyear tires on my vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Cross Sport and had the vibration issue at high speeds from day one. Took it in and they stated that I had two tires that could not be balanced properly. Ordered and then they stated only one was bad and replaced. Much better but not gone. Back in the shop next week at 3500 miles as it returned on my five hour trip this week. Water bottle vibrating and a 6 pack of beer playing music all the way home. I have Goodyear tires on my vehicle.
I have Perellies. after they changed out all 4 tires the issue is gone and it rides nice, except for the loud road noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For mine, this issue was solved with proper balancing and alignment, performed 1 week after the dealership from which I bought the car supposedly aligned the car and balanced the 4 brand new tires. Turns out the first dealership tech simply did the balancing wrong, and maybe never did an alignment. There are lots of really smart and experienced technicians at dealerships, and just as many of the "other kind." When a dealership's story doesn't make sense, it's good to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any of you come to a solution? Our 19 has been a nightmare. Numerous balances, new wheels, new tires, wheel/tires from other Atlas's on the lot and so on. Still shakes and vibrates. I rode in the passenger seat and I felt nauseous....never been car sick in my life.

Looking forward to seeing some feedback, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any of you come to a solution? Our 19 has been a nightmare. Numerous balances, new wheels, new tires, wheel/tires from other Atlas's on the lot and so on. Still shakes and vibrates. I rode in the passenger seat and I felt nauseous....never been car sick in my life.

Looking forward to seeing some feedback, thanks.
I haven’t gone to the dealership but I’ve been dealing with it since we bought our 2019 model last year. What I’ve narrowed it down to is either a bad CV joint or out of balance drive shaft. They did all the balancing, new tires, none of it was the issue and I told them that but they’re the “experts”. My vibration comes on when I’m in the 60 - 80 range and I let off the gas when I’m just coasting. One interesting thing to note is that I recently towed a trailer and at speeds of 60-70 it was the absolute smoothest ride we’ve experienced. THAT is how the car should always feel. So the weight of the trailer brings the car down a few inches and I think that’s where either the driveshaft or CV joint are more in alignment and the chassis vibration is eliminated.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas Comfortline
4 Posts
I haven’t gone to the dealership but I’ve been dealing with it since we bought our 2019 model last year. What I’ve narrowed it down to is either a bad CV joint or out of balance drive shaft. They did all the balancing, new tires, none of it was the issue and I told them that but they’re the “experts”. My vibration comes on when I’m in the 60 - 80 range and I let off the gas when I’m just coasting. One interesting thing to note is that I recently towed a trailer and at speeds of 60-70 it was the absolute smoothest ride we’ve experienced. THAT is how the car should always feel. So the weight of the trailer brings the car down a few inches and I think that’s where either the driveshaft or CV joint are more in alignment and the chassis vibration is eliminated.
Can you simulate the smooth ride with some sandbags in the trunk, and measure the squat on the rear suspension. If you can get a definitive measurement, at which the ride is smooth, it will be easier to make a case with VW

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Certified Pre Owned 2019 Atlas SEL Premium last month. I noticed later that night on the highway going around 60mph the steering wheel was shaky and I could feel it in my seat that it was just a horribly bumpy ride. I let my salesman know because I was bringing it in for service on day 6 of owning it because they were fixing the handsfree liftgate. Fast forward 3 weeks... they still have my car and have replaced the axle and its still doing it also going to replace the power steering rack and hopefully that will take care of it. In the meantime I have been in a loaner 2021 Atlas and have drove a couple others that have no shake at all. If these parts don't fix the issue what else should they try?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any fixes? Dealer declares it is a tire problem, been saying that for over 2 years and 44k miles. Several tire replacements, wheel replacements and no fix. VW refused to buy it back. I am working with a regional manager again who stands with the dealer. We had new Pirelli tires and new wheels put on about 8k ago and it did not fix the problem. Finally got aggravated enough to take it back and dealer said it needs new tires, call Pirelli.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any fixes? Dealer declares it is a tire problem, been saying that for over 2 years and 44k miles. Several tire replacements, wheel replacements and no fix. VW refused to buy it back. I am working with a regional manager again who stands with the dealer. We had new Pirelli tires and new wheels put on about 8k ago and it did not fix the problem. Finally got aggravated enough to take it back and dealer said it needs new tires, call Pirelli.
No and I waited almost two weeks for an appt to ride w/ shop foreman who was not even there for the appt!! A no show, I am beyond frustrated,I did a ride w/ mechanic who said it felt like a normal bumpy road but he has not been in the car for 4 years and 40k miles to know how it use to ride or sound..I never use to hear anything inside the car, now I have all kinds of things rattling and making noises....It also seems to get worse the more time you drive it so that morning drive w/ mechanic was not accurate, btw mine is bad even at slower neighborhood speeds...I called VW corporate, they had a regional mgr call and she left a message saying something like I will call you back when I can have an appt for shop foreman to ride w/ you in a couple weeks lol I have left her a couple messages trying to get more info and no call back unbelievable...

I am debating taking it to an outside shop to see if they can find it, have you considered that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I shoiuld also mention I really do not feel it in steering wheel, mine is all underneath and maybe behind me..there are times I can literally see back seats vibrating, I had yto put one down just to get rid of the annoying nboise it was making

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take it to a place where they have sophisticated alignment and balancing equipment. A good collision shop will be able to point you to one. It sounds like a bent rim or an out of round rim to me, but there are a lot of reasons for vibration. The dealer usually does not have sophisticated equipment which can diagnose your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take it to a place where they have sophisticated alignment and balancing equipment. A good collision shop will be able to point you to one. It sounds like a bent rim or an out of round rim to me, but there are a lot of reasons for vibration. The dealer usually does not have sophisticated equipment which can diagnose your problem.
"Supposedly" the road force machine test the dealer uses and the tire place does as well tells you if you have a bad tire or a bad rim

I mean today I get another reminder, I am driving and my running gear (Towels, change of clothes etc) are sitting on passenger seat vibrating away..soft items like that should not be shaking in a seat, it doesnt matter iof I am doing 30 on a city street or 70 on a smooth freeway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you simulate the smooth ride with some sandbags in the trunk, and measure the squat on the rear suspension. If you can get a definitive measurement, at which the ride is smooth, it will be easier to make a case with VW
My wife and I are currently dealing with this same issue. Never had problem until they did the 40,000 mile service on it. This service was done last Friday at 38,000 miles and my wife drove it out of the dealership and it started shaking so she returned it back to the dealership instantly. They now refuse to look at anything that might be causing the problem because we have aftermarket rims and tires , sized correctly from Les Schwab, and not factory rims and tires. They will not look at

·
Registered
2019 Atlas Comfortline
4 Posts
I had similar issue on my 2019 SE. It turned out to be tyre out-of-round, probably caused by previous owner running out of balance tyres. In my opinion the chassis & suspension on these vehicle, when unloaded, is quite sensitive to tyre balance and vibration. Not well damped. But it can be fixed. Mine now runs sweetly, no issues even up to 160kmph. So fixed.

Get wheels properly balanced and rims checked for concentricity. Also, if you have aftermarket rims, check that they are properly entered on the hubs. Even a mm off centre will cause an issue and I doubt that the wheel lugs alone will pull it centre. Do you know what other work was done on it at the dealer? Like brake rotors or anything else? If you still have original rims & tyres, try these to compare

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to update my post so it will hopefully help someone in the future. We went to a different dealer and they were great to work with. They messed with road force balancing and made it better, but not fixed. Ended up bringing in a a QTM(?) guru from VW and he used a vibration isolation machine (whatever that is) to identify what "type" of vibration our Atlas had. Best I can explain it. Anyway, they ended up changing out the steering box and now everything is pretty darn good. Like someone said above, these are very touchy when it comes to properly balanced tires. It rides better than it has since new and vibration in seats and steering wheel is over 90% gone. Only took 3 years and over 58k miles.

Key is to stay on VW care; keep opening cases or refuse to let them be closed.

Now if these seats were not so hard.....................

41 - 57 of 57 Posts