Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have experienced the same issue 5 or 6 of you posted in this Forum. I bought my Atlas 2018 Comfortline V6 3.6 lts on Nov. 30, 2017 with a set of winter tires in original VW alloy wheels. I drove for 21 days in December and I parked in my garage for my Christmas Holidays. Mid January I put it again in the road and beginning February I start to feel and shaking when the car goes between 60 to 80 Km/Hr. I went to the dealership and the service consultant went with me for a Drive Test to replicate the problem and he could replicated and then I left my car there for one day, they told me it was balancing but I insisted that the vibration was not in the steering wheel it was in the seat, floor and body of the car. I took my Atlas and during the next week in the commute Home-Office-Homo the vibration was still there. I went for second time to the dealership and a technician went with me for a Drive Test and he also could replicate the vibration, I left my Atlas there and in the afternoon they said they checked balance, pressure and inspect the winter tires and everything looked ok. So the vibration continue for a couple of weeks and I went back to the dealership for another issue with an accessory I bought for my Atlas and talked to the Service Manager about the vibration which at that time happened even between 20 to 40 Km/Hr, from 60 to 95-100 Km/Hr and at 120 Km/Hr with the cruise control in Highway (new pattern!!) and I felt the sound of the car was different and the vibration constant at 120 Km/Hr. They told me I was lucky since a VW Engineer was in the dealership that day they was going to ask him to go for a Drive Test, the VW engineer's conclusion was that the compound of the winter tire rubber was reacting in that way because of the weather which did not convince me. So I insisted and went last Monday with my summer tires in the trunk and ask them let me drive one of their two shuttles (Atlas 2018) which are equipped with the same rims and tires than mine to see if the vibration also appeared on it and the winter tires react in the same way that mine. In summary, the shuttle did not experience any vibration, they installed the summer tires in my Atlas and went for a Drive Test, and the vibration was still there. Now the found that the vibration is caused by the Drive Shaft and my Atlas is right now in the dealership waiting for the parts to be replace and see if the vibration gone. I will keep all you posted about the results.
Hey thanks for the tip! I will be going to my dealer soon enough to get rid of that annoying vibration.

I do believe it comes from a bad driveshaft.. Now that I think about it, it started not long after I went into a very bad pothole... It also coincides with having heavy snow in the rear mags. Will keep you posted on the issue!

Do you have any more details on the reparations made ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone noticed a chassis vibration in their Atlas at highway speeds 60 - 80 MPH? I took my SE w/tech into the dealer two times for wheel balancing and the vibration is still there. It's a very subtle vibrations; you don't feel it in the wheel it's more in the chair and chassis. I can see it the most in my kids child seat and I can even see my three year old vibrating in the seat.
Here's a short 5 second video, (Tried to keep it short to conserve bandwidth!), of a bottle of water sitting in the center console of my 2019 VW Atlas SEL Premium w/ 4MOTION® while driving on a freshly sanded-smooth section of I-15 in Southern California Northbound Lanes between Gopher Canyon Rd and SR-76. Seems the faster you go the worse it gets and the video was shot with my Samsung S9+ while going 70+ mph. (Looks like water in a swimming pool during an earthquake!)

The vibration is soooooo bad it can be felt in the steering wheel, drivers and passengers seats, (Haven't tried the 2nd or 3rd rows!), and the front floorboards. (Once again, haven't tried the back seats/floorboards!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a short 5 second video, (Tried to keep it short to conserve bandwidth!), of a bottle of water sitting in the center console of my 2019 VW Atlas SEL Premium w/ 4MOTION® while driving on a freshly sanded-smooth section of I-15 in Southern California Northbound Lanes between Gopher Canyon Rd and SR-76. Seems the faster you go the worse it gets and the video was shot with my Samsung S9+ while going 70+ mph. (Looks like water in a swimming pool during an earthquake!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBKWiBr_fg

The vibration is soooooo bad it can be felt in the steering wheel, drivers and passengers seats, (Haven't tried the 2nd or 3rd rows!), and the front floorboards. (Once again, haven't tried the back seats/floorboards!)
This is what I'm dealing with, too. It's already been in the shop for 4 days where they said they expected it to be the drive shaft but came back just telling me it's that it needed new tires at 24,000 miles.

Did you ever find a solution? Feels super unsafe to me. My husband wants to just sell the car, but I like it other than this and the horrible gas mileage.

Did you figure out what the true origin of this shimmy is?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is what I'm dealing with, too. It's already been in the shop for 4 days where they said they expected it to be the drive shaft but came back just telling me it's that it needed new tires at 24,000 miles.

Did you ever find a solution? Feels super unsafe to me. My husband wants to just sell the car, but I like it other than this and the horrible gas mileage.

Did you figure out what the true origin of this shimmy is?
Not yet. Took it in once at <1000 miles and reported vibration could be felt while driving and even when sitting at stop light. They said they test drove the vehicle and felt small vibration at idle engine is running. Scanned vehicle found no faults present vehicle is working correctly "when compared to similar or like models". (That part kinda worries me!) I didn't realize at that time it got worse at faster speeds so I'm going in again with the new info and video and have them check it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Atlas and having the same issues with vibration between 65 - 80mph. After reading the comments, I will be bringing it in next monday and will have them look over the drive shaft as some comments have suggested! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this issue as well with my 2019 SE with Tech V6 4 Motion. I bought it in December. I now have a little over 2,000 miles on my Atlas and it’s been doing it since day one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Atlas and having the same issues with vibration between 65 - 80mph. After reading the comments, I will be bringing it in next monday and will have them look over the drive shaft as some comments have suggested! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you or anyone find a solution to this? Mine is have the exact some shaking between 50-80 (don't usually drive faster than that) and I’m told that’s normal for these models.. this vibrating isn’t normal. They road force balanced and did several tire balance and rotations with no success. I asked about the driveshaft and differentials but they claim everything is working as intended and there’s nothing that they can fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you or anyone find a solution to this? Mine is have the exact some shaking between 50-80 (don't usually drive faster than that) and I’m told that’s normal for these models.. this vibrating isn’t normal. They road force balanced and did several tire balance and rotations with no success. I asked about the driveshaft and differentials but they claim everything is working as intended and there’s nothing that they can fix.
My Atlas is still at the dealership as I speak. But, they said they did a road force balance. Supposedly, the vibration is gone. So, I will find out in the next day or 2 and let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Atlas is still at the dealership as I speak. But, they said they did a road force balance. Supposedly, the vibration is gone. So, I will find out in the next day or 2 and let you know.
Just following up, did anything come of the dealer visit? Mine is still vibrating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just following up, did anything come of the dealer visit? Mine is still vibrating.
They did a road force balancing. Which is a bit more than the regular balance. It minimize the vibration, to where the passenger doesn't feel it. But, I can still feel minor vibration at certain speeds. It did not solve the problem. Waiting to take it back
I called Volkswagen and issued a compliant. They are now monitoring the situation through the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so I recently took the car (2018/sel/4motion/9500 miles) to the dealership, for the exact same issue at higher speed, 70 mph or above, nothing I've noticed at lower speed. According to the dealership, technician duplicated the vibration, which can be seen on the steering wheel just by letting go of the hands. They did an inspection (found nothing wrong), performed road force balancing and alignment, but didn't help. I'm taking it to another shop tomorrow just to see if they can spot anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, not good to see other individuals having the same vibration problem. My 2019 Atlas has been vibrating since day one and has been in for various things three times, and each time I've mentioned the vibration. Couple weeks ago I took it in for the 10k service and mentioned the problem once again and they informed me they've referred the problem to VW and are still trying to figure out what’s causing the problem . . . but so far haven't come up with anything!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
They did a road force balance. Which helped some. But vibration still occurs here and there. Though this time at higher speeds.
Do you have continental tires that came with the car? I took the atlas to another dealership that I trust and within two hours they said I had an excessive amount of runout in my tires due to flat spots and showed me the results. they mentioned they had other cars come in recently with the same problem from the dealership I bought it at. I have to go back to the original dealership now and have them check and hopefully replace the tires.
On top of it all, bought the car right before quarantine, 1600 miles on it and driving it rarely, decided to go get some groceries... the radiator leaked all of its coolant. Had to have a new radiator installed. The problems just keep stacking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I do have the continental tires as well. I know someone else had their tires changed. Said, it was much better. That's definitely not very promising to hear. I to have had other issues, such as weird sounds from my driver door. Which they addressed, and is much better. Sunshade was not closing properly, which was also fixed. Though, I feel as if it's not shutting the way it should. They said, that's how it is. Do you gave the same issue? Where you can see light come through. They said, it had to be done that way, because of a design flaw on their sunroof.(Disappointing) I'm considering changing my tires to michellins or Pirellis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been dealing with the same vibration on my Certified 2018 VW Atlas SE w/tech. I have had 3 alignments and balancing of the ties thinking this was the problem. The car is a dream till I hit 65 and then I get a vibration that I wasn’t even getting out of my 2006 Chrysler with no alignment and balancing. I’m feeling really disappointed, considering I’ve had this car 2 weeks. The only positive out of reading this post is knowing it’s not the $950.00 tires I just purchased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been dealing with the same vibration on my Certified 2018 VW Atlas SE w/tech. I have had 3 alignments and balancing of the ties thinking this was the problem. The car is a dream till I hit 65 and then I get a vibration that I wasn’t even getting out of my 2006 Chrysler with no alignment and balancing. I’m feeling really disappointed, considering I’ve had this car 2 weeks. The only positive out of reading this post is knowing it’s not the $950.00 tires I just purchased.
Is your Atlas an AWD? My vibration hasn't really gotten better or worse, but it's still there. I towed an off-road vehicle recently and it was the smoothest ride ever. When the weight was on the back, I felt no vibrations no matter what speed I was at, it was like a cloud. I looked into it further and it's possible the the driveshaft is misaligned, or maybe the Atlas AWD models just aren't built properly. Supposedly when the rear is weighed down, its brings the CV Joint down and the driveshaft can align properly. I haven't confirmed this with the dealer yet since I'm tired of having to deal with them. So I've decided to enjoy the holidays, get my facts straight about when it vibrates, and go in after the new year and have them take a look again. They checked my alignment and tires a million times even though I've told them that's not the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is your Atlas an AWD? My vibration hasn't really gotten better or worse, but it's still there. I towed an off-road vehicle recently and it was the smoothest ride ever. When the weight was on the back, I felt no vibrations no matter what speed I was at, it was like a cloud. I looked into it further and it's possible the the driveshaft is misaligned, or maybe the Atlas AWD models just aren't built properly. Supposedly when the rear is weighed down, its brings the CV Joint down and the driveshaft can align properly. I haven't confirmed this with the dealer yet since I'm tired of having to deal with them. So I've decided to enjoy the holidays, get my facts straight about when it vibrates, and go in after the new year and have them take a look again. They checked my alignment and tires a million times even though I've told them that's not the problem.
Yes, mine is AWD! I'm scheduling an appointment today. If I find anything out I will let you know

21 - 40 of 41 Posts