Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 21.5 SEL P 3.6 4Motion, and it has the Apple Wireless Carplay.

I don't believe I have set up my free CarNet and I am sure I haven't purchased a CarNet plan as of yet. Car was bought about two months ago.

Main question, how does all this work, or how is it supposed to work together?

I have two iphones, a 12 and a 7, and my wife has an iphone 12, sometimes all of which are in the car. I have paired all of them at one point with the car, I thought using only Bluetooth.

We use WAZE exclusively for GPS and all I really need to do at any given time is 1) Connect to Apple Carplay for WAZE, and 2) connect to phone for either Pandora, or Bluetooth streaming of my music playlist.

Do I need CarNet for any of that?

The car has issues connecting and finding my preferred phone using wireless, and then to use WAZE I must first go on my 5G to find the destination and route it, then go back and connect to the Wifi that is the VW...in other words, I can't find any destinations on my phone if just connected on the VW wifi....and then after that sometimes it tells me my iphone can't be found until I turn the Wifi back on....very strange and frustrating.

If I connect using the USB-C cord would that be more direct? I have tried this and it seems to work, but I have to turn off Bluetooth and Wifi which is a pain....

What is the simplest way to mirror using Carplay wirelessly with my iphone of choice, and what do I need to do with my settings to have it work correctly, more consistently?

Thanks.

SB

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't have the newer infotainment system so I am not sure....but a friend has a 2021+ crossport and couldn't get his wireless carplay to work once the free trial carnet period ended. I told him to just plug it in and forget the wireless part. That worked for him.

·
Registered
21.5 Atlas SE w/ Tech VR6 4Motion
9 Posts
I don't think carnet will resolve any of the issues OP mentioned. I have also had a devil of a time getting multiple devices and apps to sync properly without spending impatient minutes of troubleshooting - and carnet itself seems to have a lot of bugs (e.g. sending me multiple messages about "doors unlocked" when they are absolutely positively locked).

My solution a month in has been to just physically tether my phone to the car through the USB-C and turn off bluetooth as part of preflight routine. Not ideal, but it has at least allowed me to operate vehicle on a "set it and forget it" basis, which for now I value more than the extra functionality and promised land I might someday reach by continuously trying to manage how to make all the tech work correctly and seamlessly.

The buggy software has been my least favorite thing about the Atlas so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I have determined that with wireless I have to first turn off my WiFi and use 5G to get destination and then connect using WiFi in the VW...to use Waze. Works just about all the

Alternately, I have used the USB-C cable to tether to the car with Bluetooth off and WiFi off and that works too, plus it charges the phone.

I have unlimited plan so not really worried about data usage while in the vehicle.

SB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts