Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Volkswagen appears to be Sunsetting the Volkswagen CarNet service for model years 2014 - 2019 in January 2022. because supposedly AT&T 3G network is being shutdown in February of 2022.

Anyone mildly pissed that Volkswagen isn't switching to a new provider that is keeping 3G around and that we are essentially losing several features in the car that we were/are paying for.

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
3G will be unavailable period. Its not VW its the cell carriers moving to 5G.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was known in 2016 that 3G would be going away. VW knew this and offered and promoted it in their vehicles. They should have never offered it knowing it was only temporary. I have a 2019 Atlas and I'm not happy that Car-net is going away. It is not right what VW has done here.

·
Registered
2020 VW Cross Sport SEL
23 Posts
So, Volkswagen appears to be Sunsetting the Volkswagen CarNet service for model years 2014 - 2019 in January 2022. because supposedly AT&T 3G network is being shutdown in February of 2022.

Anyone mildly pissed that Volkswagen isn't switching to a new provider that is keeping 3G around and that we are essentially losing several features in the car that we were/are paying for.

I might suggest calling Car Net and discussing this if you have not. ATT light is not going away so your CarNet should still work based on my conversation with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately this is happening with a lot of manufacturers, Toyota/Lexus are sunsettinng their 3G service in Oct 22.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It was known in 2016 that 3G would be going away. VW knew this and offered and promoted it in their vehicles. They should have never offered it knowing it was only temporary. I have a 2019 Atlas and I'm not happy that Car-net is going away. It is not right what VW has done here.
[/QU

I let my carnet expire and I don't miss it at all. It's bad enough driving down the highway and by default, it will yell at you for lowering your windows a bit (I have those weathertech window vents installed) and it's telling me to ROLL THEM UP!

Now, if they tried to follow Toyotas monthly sub for keyless entry or remote start using your fob, I'd be more than pissed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Here we go with another VW cost cutting measures at the expense of the consumer (was the VW diesel team hard at work??). I'm sure VW was aware that 3G would be going away given that 4G was available at time of manufacture and before. So there is an issue here of non-disclosure that needs looking into. Given that VW did not disclose this, or had they disclosed, I would have never bought my 2019 Atlas. Big misrepresentation here, in my opinion to sell cars with so called latest technology. I guess it will be another go round with the dealership on "now what are going to do for me". At lease going to hear what they have to say. Going to see if the lemon law is applicable here if they can't fix. However, hopefully, they'll be able to upgrade the technology soon to avoid any long period of interruption, making me a happy customer. Class Action awaits.......

·
Registered
2020 VW Cross Sport SEL
23 Posts
I can understand that VW consumers can be upset however I spoke to the folks at CarNet when I read about AT&T sunsetting and was told our cars would not be affected because AT&T still planned to keep LTE in operation. I would suggest calling CarNet to see if you get the same story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to the AT&T website. They confirmed that they are shutting down 3G in Feb 22. In fact, they have a program to replace your cell phone if you have an older model that does not support 4G and beyond. I wonder what service VW will offer us? Maybe something cell phone based.

·
Registered
146 Posts
(was the VW diesel team hard at work??).
What the heck is that suppose to imply? If you want to shake the hands of the azzclowns who put that in motion, take a trip out to Sacramento Ca and start there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't even find the right people to talk to about this. Everyone keeps transferring me to someone else... This is my third time trying to call and im already onto my 5th person. This vehicle isnt even 2 years old and already critical safety features are being removed with no recourse. Not to mention, VW has a bad rep and you'd think as a part of trying to restore faith, not screw over people like this.

The number on the letter is "wrong" customer care doesnt care, no one seems to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts