Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen an issue with getting a car seat installed properly? I just transitioned to using the seatbelt method with my children's car seat and cannot get the seat tight enough to stay put. I have been to the fire department who is certified at installing seat and also another certified installer with the same result I am. We can all get the car seat to not move side to side but the issue is the car seat moving forward 4-5 inches. I have tried multiple car seats and 5 different vehicles and our Atlas is the only one that has this issue. VW is telling me that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and is not willing to do anything to help fix the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive got two separate seats installed in the 2nd row, next to one another. One is a front facing and one is rear facing. I use the latch system for both and they both stay in place side to side and front to back. The issue maybe with the belt and it getting loose on the strap. Do you hear a click when you put in the seats to make sure the ends are latched onto the hooks? Perhaps you can check in different spots in the vehicle also and ensure the hooks youre latching onto arent moving...Good luck and hope theres a successful result in the end.

Thats the worst feeling especially when you bought the car to be large safe vehicle for your kids!

Has anyone seen an issue with getting a car seat installed properly? I just transitioned to using the seatbelt method with my children's car seat and cannot get the seat tight enough to stay put. I have been to the fire department who is certified at installing seat and also another certified installer with the same result I am. We can all get the car seat to not move side to side but the issue is the car seat moving forward 4-5 inches. I have tried multiple car seats and 5 different vehicles and our Atlas is the only one that has this issue. VW is telling me that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and is not willing to do anything to help fix the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am no longer using the latches because of the combined weight of my child and the car seat combined is over 65lbs ( I did not know about this until recently and was the reason I switched to using the seatbelt). When I install the seats in the third row the seats don't move at all which is weird to me. You're right it is a very bad feeling that we can't use the second row because of a bad design of the second row seat belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got two separate seats installed in the 2nd row, next to one another. One is a front facing and one is rear facing. I use the latch system for both and they both stay in place side to side and front to back. The issue maybe with the belt and it getting loose on the strap. Do you hear a click when you put in the seats to make sure the ends are latched onto the hooks? Perhaps you can check in different spots in the vehicle also and ensure the hooks youre latching onto arent moving...Good luck and hope theres a successful result in the end.

Thats the worst feeling especially when you bought the car to be large safe vehicle for your kids!
I am no longer using the latches because of the combined weight of my child and the car seat combined is over 65lbs ( I did not know about this until recently and was the reason I switched to using the seatbelt). When I install the seats in the third row the seats don't move at all which is weird to me. You're right it is a very bad feeling that we can't use the second row because of a bad design of the second row seat belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's the carseat for my grandchild in a 2019 Atlas. Is this the 5" gap you are talking about? The Graco pull strap in front keeps the seat tight at the bottom via the two latches. The car seat seems pretty secure overall. She is 5 years old. Not sure of her weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find a solution to this? We just got a new 2021 atlas and aren’t able to securely install our Nuna Ravas. One is forward facing the other rear — both rely on the seat belt. We used them in our Tiguan and outback just fine & are well versed at proper installation. Front to back and side to side movement are fine, but we can swivel / rotate the car seats VERY easily. Would be a disaster in a crash. Seems like the way the buckle is positioned / angle of the buckle is the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also curious if there was resolution to this issue. I just purchased a 2021.5 with captains chairs along with a nuna rava. After a couple video conferences with the nuna car seat installation folks it was determined the car seat is not compatible for seat belt installation due to the seat belt connector. My child is at a weight where I must install with seat belt and I’m struggling to find a car seat with a belt path that isn’t behind the seat belt connector.

·
Super Moderator
80 Posts
On my 2018 I use the seat belt and it works perfectly however my car seat has a nice design which most probably dont have. the Britax one4life all in one is an amazing carseat which has an amazing latch. I have a background in infant car seats and I would say the Nuna Rava has a lot more to be desired on the installation method and how tight it can get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also curious if there was resolution to this issue. I just purchased a 2021.5 with captains chairs along with a nuna rava. After a couple video conferences with the nuna car seat installation folks it was determined the car seat is not compatible for seat belt installation due to the seat belt connector. My child is at a weight where I must install with seat belt and I’m struggling to find a car seat with a belt path that isn’t behind the seat belt connector.
Did they tell you what it was about the seat belt connector that was wrong? I just got the 2021 atlas because of its good car seat reviews and I'm due to buy another car seat. I do not want this to happen!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What has been your solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have captains chairs so I can only speak for those but the seat belt buckle is in front of the belt path which allows the movement. The gentleman from nuna mentioned this is an adult type of setup but not great for car seats. He also mentioned he had personally installed the rava in prior year model atlas so it is specific to 2021 year. I disagree with the previous poster though, we installed the nuna in another car to verify it was the car and not the car seat and it installed just as easily and securely as the britax marathon click tight is replacing. It would be fine installed with the tethers but my daughter is just shy of 40 lbs so we needed to put the seat in with the seat belt. We were upgrading her from the britax marathon which was perfect because the belt path is in line with the buckle. We ended up going with the britax one for life but the install was difficult. My husband had to pull on the seatbelt while I closed the door. To be within the 1 inch we had to pull it so tight the belt itself is bunched up pulling against the tongue. I tried numerous car seats and none of them installed as securely as the marathon and the one for life was the only one we could get to the one inch rule. It’s a shame a car toted as a family car and great for car seats wasn’t designed with buckles that are rear of the seat back.

·
Super Moderator
80 Posts
britax one for life but the install was difficult
I am not sure why you are having such issues with the car seat. I am able to move this car seat from the 2010 Jetta to the Atlas to my truck with no issues at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I have captains chairs so I can only speak for those but the seat belt buckle is in front of the belt path which allows the movement. The gentleman from nuna mentioned this is an adult type of setup but not great for car seats. He also mentioned he had personally installed the rava in prior year model atlas so it is specific to 2021 year. I disagree with the previous poster though, we installed the nuna in another car to verify it was the car and not the car seat and it installed just as easily and securely as the britax marathon click tight is replacing. It would be fine installed with the tethers but my daughter is just shy of 40 lbs so we needed to put the seat in with the seat belt. We were upgrading her from the britax marathon which was perfect because the belt path is in line with the buckle. We ended up going with the britax one for life but the install was difficult. My husband had to pull on the seatbelt while I closed the door. To be within the 1 inch we had to pull it so tight the belt itself is bunched up pulling against the tongue. I tried numerous car seats and none of them installed as securely as the marathon and the one for life was the only one we could get to the one inch rule. It’s a shame a car toted as a family car and great for car seats wasn’t designed with buckles that are rear of the seat back.
I’m having a hard time understanding what you mean. Does it ultimately mean that the seat belt was too short? I’m trying to google what you mean but having trouble finding an example of seat belt buckle in front of belt path. I just leased the bench version (picking up Monday) so I’m hoping it’s not the case with bench. we picked this car because of the car seat benefits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. We bought a 2021 atlas with captain chairs 2 weeks ago and my peg perego kinetic is moving around so much no matter what i try to do. Since there are no latchs i am using the shoulder belt. Was any one ablw to find a solution or a car seat that worked?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts