Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - we just bought a 2021 SEL a couple weeks ago and are still learning at the features. One that I am sure of is if text messages can be displayed and/or read aloud. Our 2015 Camry XLE has that feature and it pretty handy, so just curious if this is possible. Maybe an item that ODBeleven hacks can enable?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If that is what you want, you should probably just use Apple CarPlay or the Android equivalent. I know CarPlay does that, and I'd be surprised if Android doesn't. This is the direction most manufacturers seem to be going: Full smart phone environment integration, rather than one-off Bluetooth features that will pull and read a text message. Sure, it may have made sense to have that on a 2015 Camry, but most, if not all, VWs had CarPlay in 2016. Very few cars seem to omit these integrations now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You need Carplay or Android Auto to be connected. My 2014 Toyota did it without a USB connection too. You might want to consider a wireless adapter to get text messages read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all - we just bought a 2021 SEL a couple weeks ago and are still learning at the features. One that I am sure of is if text messages can be displayed and/or read aloud. Our 2015 Camry XLE has that feature and it pretty handy, so just curious if this is possible. Maybe an item that ODBeleven hacks can enable?
Just wondering if you figured out how to get the text message notifications and read w/o being on the app screen. If i am on radio or car display android app does nothing when a text comes in

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering if you figured out how to get the text message notifications and read w/o being on the app screen. If i am on radio or car display android app does nothing when a text comes in
Actually have not been on any long road trips as of late so really have not had an opportunity to try. One benefit of COVID and stay at home orders, sure don't put many miles on the new car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually have not been on any long road trips as of late so really have not had an opportunity to try. One benefit of COVID and stay at home orders, sure don't put many miles on the new car.
Was goofing around today and discovered that simply using the voice command you can say "Read text message" and, outside of Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, have the Atlas read your latest text messages. You need to see the little envelope symbol on the top of the display to know a message came in, but if you don't have your phone plugged in using APP, this works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you unlock the radio/phone options being locked while the car is moving thru something like Carista or ODBeleven it will work. I just did mine on a Cross Sport and I can see, respond, play, and type while the car is in motion. The "read text message" thru the steering wheel button works as normal if you only want to hear the text.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you unlock the radio/phone options being locked while the car is moving thru something like Carista or ODBeleven it will work. I just did mine on a Cross Sport and I can see, respond, play, and type while the car is in motion. The "read text message" thru the steering wheel button works as normal if you only want to hear the text.
Has anyone done this successfully on a full size 2018-2020 Atlas? It didn't work on my 2019 SE w/Tech.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did you use to try this? I used Carista and it worked first time around. I also unlocked a few other settings while in the customize menu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts