Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
So 2 weeks later following 'calibration and alignment' of the ACC system ($369 price paid for by the dealer) and the ACC: Error message comes on again on the I95 the other day driving back from FL. Of course it is frustrating as one buys a vehicle with these kind of features because one appreciates the convenience of a feature like this. When it is simply not available at a time when there is no way to correct it other than to pull over, switch off and back on, and carry on driving, it becomes annoying. I am taking the vehicle into Flow VW Asheville next week as the Sway Bar End links are in from back order and will be put on under warranty. When I am back I shall let them know about this ACC error and see what they have to say about it. And no I wasn't driving in thick mud whereby the VW emblem was covered and I haven't tampered with it in anyway. The weather was mid fifties and I was up to about 65 mph when I switched it on and 'bing' ACC Error with the appropriate orange warning on the dash. Anyone who can share any insight to this - much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to be this guy but I absolutely hate this car! My wife and I were very excited to finally buy a NEW family( usually buy used) vehicle and one with a great warranty that would give us POM for a few years. We travel quite a bit and shuttle kids around to 4 diff activities and school throughout the week. So far we have owned our 2019 Atlas v6 4motion with rline and tech for almost 1 year and 30k miles. We HATE IT and this will be our last VW. I am only keeping it because of the warranty but I am seriously thinking about taking a $5k bath in neg equity to dump it and buy an older Toyota Sequoia. Resell value is an entirely different thread. That is also absolutely horrible. My 5 year old base model Truck with 100k miles is worth about what trade value on this atlas is. Overall, we are completely disappointed in this rig especially with a $44k sticker price.

I am sending it back to the dealer this week fora few things:
  • TPS sensors are malfunctioning..... Again. this morning they told me i had a flat. checked all tires and they were all great. the light have been on for a week now
  • coolant issues...... Again. I have had to add fluid twice and i know I can smell antifreeze. according to the adviser over the phone " this is normal". that cant be normal
  • the front struts sound like they are going to come through the hood. without a doubt at least 1 is broken.
Agree!! I have a 2020 Atlas now at the dealer 2 months. False alarms, windows going down and more. Have a Honda Pilot 130k miles. Should’ve just got another one. I hate this car. For those of us who who buy and keep cars for the long haul getting a car like this is a disaster. I wish I could just leave it on the lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sway bar links replaced - drives like a different vehicle. Love it - the way I expected it to be - great to read posts about VW software update for the ACC/remote start issue - super handy in snowy weather when (heaven forbid) you might forget to switch off your ACC prior to shut down - very happy with vehicle and sorry to hear about other's troubles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to be the guy to inform you if you bought a car for the investment, you are not very bright. Sorry but if the mods delete this post, so be it. But if you have such hate for the car over the 3 things you mention, man, do I have a HONDA nightmare I can pass on. I OWN a 2011 Chrysler Minivan with 100k, 2 Jeeps, both with over 100k and a 2019 Atlas SEL Pre. We got the VW because we have an outstanding dealership in our area and though the car was on the same level ground as other midsize SUV's, it's safety rating won us over. Now, after 4 long trips, the last one was 2800 miles, we are not sorry at all and the ONLY issue we have had is a pesky tire out of balance that the dealer has reset twice. If you really want a car that holds it's value when it's time to resale, you might want to look at a Jeep Wrangler. Just sayin. :cool:
Oh, god no. NOT a Jeep!!!

Don't buy anything other than a Toyota. Period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, just got told the diagnosis on our 1 month old 2021.5 Atlas is one bad fuel injector. I'm shocked they aren't changing all of them, but if another one goes out, you can bet I'll be asking for all of them to be changed as now I wonder if our vehicle was part of the "bad batch" that has been discussed. We should get it back by this Friday and will see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh, god no. NOT a Jeep!!!

Don't buy anything other than a Toyota. Period.
It's hard not to get into a head-butting contest over that statement but I've owned two Toyotas in my driving lifetime (both Celica's). That's why I'll never own another. Along with a Honda, GM or Ford. I'm sure to get flamed for saying this but so far, my best three cars/brands have been:
1. VW Jetta (1984) 15 years
2. Plymouth Minivan (1993) 17 years
3. Jeep Liberty (2009) 12 years

All 3 of the above never left me stranded and with the exception to the Jeep, were cheap to maintain. You know what Jeep stands for right? Just Empty Every Pocket. But dang, they are fun to drive and mod. My KK has a 3in lift, 33 tires on 10inch rims, full skids, customer steel front bumper w/winch, class III hitch (and it will town 5k pounds), and sliders with sidebars. It's my daily driver even if it gets 10mpg city, 15 hwy (only 3 miles to work). and the best part, it might be a plain POS but it's paid for, has a lifetime warranty on the Eng/Trans/Drivetrain.

And where I live, the only thing that rusts faster than a Toyota is a Honda and Dodge. (y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, just got told the diagnosis on our 1 month old 2021.5 Atlas is one bad fuel injector. I'm shocked they aren't changing all of them, but if another one goes out, you can bet I'll be asking for all of them to be changed as now I wonder if our vehicle was part of the "bad batch" that has been discussed. We should get it back by this Friday and will see how it goes from there.

I would agree. They should swap them all out. New car and who's to say there isn't another bad one just waiting it's turn to malfunction? Surely if it happens again, I'd be asking for them all to be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well 1 month since the bad fuel injector was fixed. I was told by the dealership that they will only replace them if they are indeed found to be faulty, even though they KNOW that there was a bad batch out there. So now I worry and wait to see if I have other faulty ones or just that one. I am still not planning any long road trips until at least many months from now because I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I love our Atlas, even though gas mileage isn't so great (bring back Trump gas prices!), but more concerned about long-term reliability still. We shall see.....

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
Well 1 month since the bad fuel injector was fixed. I was told by the dealership that they will only replace them if they are indeed found to be faulty, even though they KNOW that there was a bad batch out there. So now I worry and wait to see if I have other faulty ones or just that one. I am still not planning any long road trips until at least many months from now because I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I love our Atlas, even though gas mileage isn't so great (bring back Trump gas prices!), but more concerned about long-term reliability still. We shall see.....
This goes for litterally every automobile manufacturer. If you owned a company would you pay to replace every fuel injector on a particular model if they were working properly? Out of all the Atlases on the road as I type this, how many have had this issue? Likely a v. v. small amount. It's just how it goes unfortunately, there is always risk in vehicle ownership and is why they provide a warranty. Sitting around worried about somehtihng that may happen isn't really a great way to go and would be the same for any vehicle you buy. You accept the risk and live you driving life!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This goes for litterally every automobile manufacturer. If you owned a company would you pay to replace every fuel injector on a particular model if they were working properly? Out of all the Atlases on the road as I type this, how many have had this issue? Likely a v. v. small amount. It's just how it goes unfortunately, there is always risk in vehicle ownership and is why they provide a warranty. Sitting around worried about somehtihng that may happen isn't really a great way to go and would be the same for any vehicle you buy. You accept the risk and live you driving life!
If I knew there were more than a few brand new car owners left stranded on the side of the road due to this issue, and knew it was a batch of them which likely means several could have made their way into those cars with injector failures, I would do the right thing and change all 6 of them.
Also, when you factor in loaner car plus mechanic costs (they have to take half the engine apart-and hope nothing else gets damaged along the way), minus the $150/per each injector cost, doing the right thing is cheaper. And don't forget the perception/word of mouth cost due to the bad experience of a brand new VW owner who now questions whether they will be left out on the highway again knowing they had a faulty injector before, which the company knew about, and could have another failure at any time because only one got changed out. Yeah, I'd replace all 6 in those new cars that show they received bad injectors.

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
If I knew there were more than a few brand new car owners left stranded on the side of the road due to this issue, and knew it was a batch of them which likely means several could have made their way into those cars with injector failures, I would do the right thing and change all 6 of them.
Also, when you factor in loaner car plus mechanic costs (they have to take half the engine apart-and hope nothing else gets damaged along the way), minus the $150/per each injector cost, doing the right thing is cheaper. And don't forget the perception/word of mouth cost due to the bad experience of a brand new VW owner who now questions whether they will be left out on the highway again knowing they had a faulty injector before, which the company knew about, and could have another failure at any time because only one got changed out. Yeah, I'd replace all 6 in those new cars that show they received bad injectors.
It's logical but just not the way any manufacturer does this. They replace what's broken. Someone has done that math that has much more info that we do and they have decided replacing what is broken is the best business decision. Not trying to be a jerk in this convo, just giving you a realistic perspective. My Atlas through a CEL/EPC and went into limp mode last week on a trip while cruising on the highway, first real hiccup in almost 4 years of ownership - I jsut restarted it and it was cleared. Got home checked codes, fuel pressure issue/misfires....who knows. Hasn't come back. If I go to the dealer with this, they will say "it's working fine now" and they would be right. Should they start replacing things?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts