Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be this guy but I absolutely hate this car! My wife and I were very excited to finally buy a NEW family( usually buy used) vehicle and one with a great warranty that would give us POM for a few years. We travel quite a bit and shuttle kids around to 4 diff activities and school throughout the week. So far we have owned our 2019 Atlas v6 4motion with rline and tech for almost 1 year and 30k miles. We HATE IT and this will be our last VW. I am only keeping it because of the warranty but I am seriously thinking about taking a $5k bath in neg equity to dump it and buy an older Toyota Sequoia. Resell value is an entirely different thread. That is also absolutely horrible. My 5 year old base model Truck with 100k miles is worth about what trade value on this atlas is. Overall, we are completely disappointed in this rig especially with a $44k sticker price.

I am sending it back to the dealer this week fora few things:
  • TPS sensors are malfunctioning..... Again. this morning they told me i had a flat. checked all tires and they were all great. the light have been on for a week now
  • coolant issues...... Again. I have had to add fluid twice and i know I can smell antifreeze. according to the adviser over the phone " this is normal". that cant be normal
  • the front struts sound like they are going to come through the hood. without a doubt at least 1 is broken.

·
264 Posts
Sorry to read about your continued issues, by chance have you reached out to VW Corporate :unsure:

1-800-822-8987
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
Monday – Friday

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not reached out to them yet. I will wait to see what the verdict is tomorrow after my appt. The tps sensor alert randomly went off and apparently all my tires are fine now..... I am sick of using the warranty already so that may be my next call if I have another issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hate to be this guy but I absolutely hate this car! My wife and I were very excited to finally buy a NEW family( usually buy used) vehicle and one with a great warranty that would give us POM for a few years. We travel quite a bit and shuttle kids around to 4 diff activities and school throughout the week. So far we have owned our 2019 Atlas v6 4motion with rline and tech for almost 1 year and 30k miles. We HATE IT and this will be our last VW. I am only keeping it because of the warranty but I am seriously thinking about taking a $5k bath in neg equity to dump it and buy an older Toyota Sequoia. Resell value is an entirely different thread. That is also absolutely horrible. My 5 year old base model Truck with 100k miles is worth about what trade value on this atlas is. Overall, we are completely disappointed in this rig especially with a $44k sticker price.

• TPS sensors are malfunctioning..... Again. this morning they told me i had a flat. checked all tires and they were all great. the light have been on for a week now
  • coolant issues...... Again. I have had to add fluid twice and i know I can smell antifreeze. according to the adviser over the phone " this is normal". that cant be normal
  • the front struts sound like they are going to come through the hood. without a doubt at least 1 is broken.

I hate to be the guy to inform you if you bought a car for the investment, you are not very bright. Sorry but if the mods delete this post, so be it. But if you have such hate for the car over the 3 things you mention, man, do I have a HONDA nightmare I can pass on. I OWN a 2011 Chrysler Minivan with 100k, 2 Jeeps, both with over 100k and a 2019 Atlas SEL Pre. We got the VW because we have an outstanding dealership in our area and though the car was on the same level ground as other midsize SUV's, it's safety rating won us over. Now, after 4 long trips, the last one was 2800 miles, we are not sorry at all and the ONLY issue we have had is a pesky tire out of balance that the dealer has reset twice. If you really want a car that holds it's value when it's time to resale, you might want to look at a Jeep Wrangler. Just sayin. :cool:

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to be the guy to inform you if you bought a car for the investment, you are not very bright. Sorry but if the mods delete this post, so be it. But if you have such hate for the car over the 3 things you mention, man, do I have a HONDA nightmare I can pass on. I OWN a 2011 Chrysler Minivan with 100k, 2 Jeeps, both with over 100k and a 2019 Atlas SEL Pre. We got the VW because we have an outstanding dealership in our area and though the car was on the same level ground as other midsize SUV's, it's safety rating won us over. Now, after 4 long trips, the last one was 2800 miles, we are not sorry at all and the ONLY issue we have had is a pesky tire out of balance that the dealer has reset twice. If you really want a car that holds it's value when it's time to resale, you might want to look at a Jeep Wrangler. Just sayin. :cool:
who said anything about an investment? But thank for the investing tip that autos are not a good one, had no idea! You are a VW fanboy and that is ok, they are nice looking autos. This atlas along with many others have been disappointing so far. The Service Advisor here stated this morning that more atlases come in for warranty work than any other VW. Most all of them are coolant issues that no one can explain. A sealed system does not lose coolant unless there is an issue. I am actually typing this from the service department which has basically become my home office since owning this thing. Cant wait to dump it and go back to a proven product, Toyota.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update from my service appt:

suspension issue rectified with the replacement of both front sway bar links
coolant issue is still a mystery and no leaks were found. pressure was good, but coolant smell was present. Coolant smell and disappearing from a sealed system means the coolant is leaking somewhere.
tpms is still a mystery. they confirmed that all tires were a tad low pressure but no tpms warning light was on. deflated them and still no light. inflated them and no light..

I am starting a process for a buyback. this is ridiculous

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
The TPMS is an indirect system - no sensors. You need to set the tires to 35 (cold) then set the TPMS in the infotainment unit.

Coolant - yeah, it's an issue and they need to sort it out. Very common.

Struts - yeah, it's an issue and they need to sort it out. Very common.

Good luck and just stick it out -the vehicle is great and certainly not worth taking a hit for a few minor, yet inconvenient things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So yeah as far as the TPMS goes, it wont give you a light until you start driving the car.
From what I understand, the "sensor" is based on wheel speed, so you need to be driving for it to realize a tire is low.
So if you have a low tire, it will tell you after a few min of driving.
And even if you fill it back up, you still need to re-set the light, it wont just go away automatically.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Front struts should be covered under TSB 40-18-01. I've had four issues in first 3 months. Fuel leak detection pump replaced, front passenger speaker replaced, cruise sensor reset, front suspension replaced under the TSB mentioned. Glad I leased it but it's a great road car, especially on the freeway in the rain. Just a **** comfortable rig.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Front struts should be covered under TSB 40-18-01. I've had four issues in first 3 months. Fuel leak detection pump replaced, front passenger speaker replaced, cruise sensor reset, front suspension replaced under the TSB mentioned. Glad I leased it but it's a great road car, especially on the freeway in the rain. Just a **** comfortable rig.
I wish we would have leased also but with the miles we do it makes it a non option. I have an official case open with VW now so we will see where it goes. I will gladly accept a buyback even if I lose some money. It most likely wouldn't be as much as the neg equity id have if I traded out of it. The sales manager mentioned replacing it with another one to which I replied that I would just sell it the first day! LOL( this was a friendly convo, not hasty). I doubt they will side in my favor as they will stand behind the fact that they cant find an issue but acknowledge something is not right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The coolant going low is common, not that it's a good thing though. Have they performed a pressure test over night? We just took our 2018 in today for low coolant and they told us the water pump was bad. I have a couple of friends who work at a VW dealership and they told me that there's a large amount of Atlases that come in needing to have the head gasket swapped out. I'm expecting ours will continue to suck up coolant after the water pump is replaced.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Add one more trip to the dealer for the coolant light. Over night pressure test came back fine. This is an absolute joke!

And....... they will have my atlas all week because the push button start button needed replaced. I hate this car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear you, we just got ours back yesterday after having the water pump replaced under warranty at 12,000 miles. Drove it home with no issues. This morning the auto start doesn’t work, go outside and turn the car on to find low coolant light is on again. Pop the hood and find the reservoir is low again. Dealership says it’s normal since the system was bled, which would be fine if the light was on when we picked it up or at any time through the 20 mile ride back home. I’d figure the VW techs would have the proper amount of fluid required to fill the system up. Starting to get worried that I have another Routan on my hands, which is terrible considering the Routan was a Dodge and spent every other month at the dealership.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you, we just got ours back yesterday after having the water pump replaced under warranty at 12,000 miles. Drove it home with no issues. This morning the auto start doesn’t work, go outside and turn the car on to find low coolant light is on again. Pop the hood and find the reservoir is low again. Dealership says it’s normal since the system was bled, which would be fine if the light was on when we picked it up or at any time through the 20 mile ride back home. I’d figure the VW techs would have the proper amount of fluid required to fill the system up. Starting to get worried that I have another Routan on my hands, which is terrible considering the Routan was a Dodge and spent every other month at the dealership.
I spoke to the VW corp rep again today and she was the one who told me that i cant pick up my atlas until tomorrow now because the part didn't show up today. No call from the dealer at all to let me know. Unreal... Then it was said the coolant is fine but they still have no explanation why there is a coolant smell. they are already trying to cover themselves stating that the light isn't on when I bring it in. I've filled it with bottled water to satisfy the sensor 3x different times. To which I asked if i should take the risk and drive it until it potentially blows up in order to make it to the dealer with the light on? "Of course not".... Only to follow that they will go with the service dept tell them which basically they cant find anything wrong with the coolant... I would love nothing more than for this car to be totaled (w/o injuries) and get to use my GAP insurance.

So far they have replaced the rear climate screen, replaced front suspension, replaced push button start, and I've had it in for coolant light issues 3x to which they can find nothing. All within 12 months of ownership

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
The coolant issue is so obvious and has been sorted by VW on countless Atlase - it's the f'ing headgasket and I don't understand why they can't figure this out for you. The info is literally all over the internet forums/FB pages and they certainly are well aware of the issue. The dealer is not doing their job for you and going to bat with VW to tell them what the issue is.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Same!! Only now in service due to drivers wiper arm failing. They’ve replaced 3x. We thought this would be a great vehicle. NOT! Engine too small for the size... endless gas stops... every light on dash lit up.. technical issues. So glad I leased this overpriced piece of junk.. at least I can turn it in (8 months and counting) and can walk away.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

VW has declined a buyback.... All of these documented issues and unresolved coolant problems and they pretty said screw you pal, we cant find a problem even though we can also smell coolant. good luck..... Full circle of buyers remorse and being screwed by VW.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
UPDATE:

VW has declined a buyback.... All of these documented issues and unresolved coolant problems and they pretty said screw you pal, we cant find a problem even though we can also smell coolant. good luck..... Full circle of buyers remorse and being screwed by VW.
I don't blame you for being pissed - seems like such an obvious thing to troubleshoot and plenty have had it fixed.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't blame you for being pissed - seems like such an obvious thing to troubleshoot and plenty have had it fixed.
It’s extremely disappointing. They seriously had no answers or details to their decision. Now it’s going back to the dealer for the 4th time as soon as they get a third row suv loaner in. I really really want to hire an attorney but mentally I don’t need the added stress and emotion so I’m going to try to enjoy the car. After all we did like it until 2 months ago. The sales rep and manager I bought it from are going to run some numbers on trading me out of it for another one for around the same loan amount otd. The only thing we want if that were to happen is rline and power liftgate( not sure if that’s a package or not). Not even sure awd is a noticeable feature in the south and the tech package was a waste of money for us(unless the liftgate is only available in this). The only other option I have is to take about a 5-7k kick in the nuts and trade it in.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
It’s extremely disappointing. They seriously had no answers or details to their decision. Now it’s going back to the dealer for the 4th time as soon as they get a third row suv loaner in. I really really want to hire an attorney but mentally I don’t need the added stress and emotion so I’m going to try to enjoy the car. After all we did like it until 2 months ago. The sales rep and manager I bought it from are going to run some numbers on trading me out of it for another one for around the same loan amount otd. The only thing we want if that were to happen is rline and power liftgate( not sure if that’s a package or not). Not even sure awd is a noticeable feature in the south and the tech package was a waste of money for us(unless the liftgate is only available in this). The only other option I have is to take about a 5-7k kick in the nuts and trade it in.
I get the not wanting to deal with the lemon law/lawyer bit. Maybe it will work out. Can you provide info from here/vortex/FB pages of those with the same issue that had the head gasket replaced? The issue simply is, VW has a threshold for the pressure test i.e. certain amount of pressure loss of a certain amount of time. If it passes, the dealer doesn't get paid for the repair if they do it for you. Now, with that said, they can certainly talk to VW and go to bat for you on this. Also, have they run a pressure test over night? That seems to be a key. How much coolant loss are you experiencing? I've had some small loss over time, at 22K miles I've topped it once and I don't smell it. I just watch it and will note it next time I'm in for service to have a record. I've had 3 VWs and each had some de-minamus loss of coolant over time...even my Ford Focus did it over the first few 10's of Ks. Consistent coolant loss on the order of the tank being empty every few weeks is obviously a problem that VW needs to sort out. They've done it for plenty of people.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts