Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought my all new Atlas V6 SE FWD with tech in October 2017 with 20500 miles right now. Engine oil was empty after the first 5k miles. So I needed to add 2 quart of oil. I also went to the dealership to complain this issue, but they said it’s normal that the engine is burning oil and maybe because the engine was brand new. And they told me this issue should gone after 10k miles. After the first oil change on 10k miles I needed to add 1 quart of oil this time on 17k miles. Do you guys have the same problem? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its ridiculous for them to say that adding quarts of oil in between servicing is normal. The break in process plays a huge role into how efficiently a car manages oil. Have you ensured that there isn't a leak of any kind?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nothing in the realm of what you've been seeing, which makes me think something else it at play here. Are you seeing smoke coming out of your exhaust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked it today. No smoke at all, so what shall I do now? Any other one have oil problems here?

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are some oil additives that you can look at such as Motor Honey, but there are also come cheap DIY components you can consider swapping. One of the simplest issues than can lead to burning oil is a bad PCV valve.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't currently own an Atlas so I can't say where its located but would be a simple plug and play replacement. There are some testing and replacement tutorials up on YouTube for how its done on other cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 4200 miles have added 2.5 quarts. I am in a 600 mile test period for oil viscosity I believe. They did oils change. Of course never a loaner. Said I could drive the 600 or they could take 2 weeks. They will then weigh the oil and if it is bad replace the motor. Since the head gasket needs replaced for coolant leak. I would be happy with a crate motor. We never get a loaner of course. This nightmare could at least get us a year until we can dump this and not be so upside down. Monday they will give me the new engine verdict.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
More accurate to say the oil is low, it's certainly not empty. Read your owner's manual...info in there regarding oil consumption and what is/isn't normal per VW. It really doesn't matter what the intewebs say, it matters what VW determines. Ours has 10K on it with effectively zero oil consumption so yes, that seems excessive but again, I would wager yours is within the range of what VW considers "normal" - again, read the manual. Changing your PCV valve on your own on a car that is under warranty is "dumb" - work with VW to solve the issue if there is even one. Nathan above is doing this right - work with VW on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your responses guys. I’ll drive to VW when I need to add oil again. And btw Nathan did you get your new engine yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nathan- had to create new sign in. Dealer after 600 miles said oil not burning. Basically blew off all claims and said I overfilled oil. 1/2 inch below grid in manual says 1 qt. Tech said it was barely over. Service manager said we aren’t testing or basically replacing head gasket even though I have photo proof of empty bottle. Service manager said 1000 miles = 1 quart. Now we need vw accessory with Velcro for 5 qt Castrol synthetic and 5 qt gs13 antifreeze swishing in our 3 month old car. Working with vw advocate but kinda stuck.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Time to for a call to VW as this is obviously something wrong - I say head gasket. 1 qt/1000 miles is crazy high consumption even if the manual says "normal" and when combined with coolant loss, it's v. obvious. Over our first 7.5K oil change interval I lost probably 0.5 qt at most which is what I call "normal" for a German motor. Document everything and write a letter clearly stating the observations and what you want done to solve it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts