Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Blind spot indicator vs mirror led directional blinker.

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  KarstGeo 
#1 ·
Is there any way to change the color of the led (by replacement or colored tape) on eithe the blind spot indicator or the directional led on the mirror so that my brain can differentia quicker between the two?

#4 ·
#7 ·
No, that’s not the problem. We all like the blind spot indicator. The problem is that when you turn the turn signal on, it’s the same color as the blind spot indicator and theres an LED for the turn signal on the mirror that makes your brain confuse the two. So every time you turn the turn signal on you tend to think there’s a car in the lane next to you.

#17 ·
I too dislike the proximity and matching color of the signal and blind spot warning lights. Is it going to cause me to crash? No. Does it sometimes make me hesitate? Yes. When I am driving and looking to change lanes my first step is to check my mirror. Then signal. Then check my mirror again as it is always possible some idiot has come flying into the left lane out of nowhere. It is during the second mirror check when the turn signal is on, that there's a moment of hesitation when I see the yellow light...."is that the turn signal or the BSM?" Ok. It's just the signal I can merge.
So, no it isn't a problem per se, but it's just an unnecessary light that can cause confusion. In other vehicles the signal light is partly or completely shielded from the driver's vision because the driver really doesn't need to see his own signals. They could have put the signal light almost anywhere else on the mirror and been less distracting than 1" to the left of the BSM.

#18 ·
I too dislike the proximity and matching color of the signal and blind spot warning lights. Is it going to cause me to crash? No. Does it sometimes make me hesitate? Yes. When I am driving and looking to change lanes my first step is to check my mirror. Then signal. Then check my mirror again as it is always possible some idiot has come flying into the left lane out of nowhere. It is during the second mirror check when the turn signal is on, that there's a moment of hesitation when I see the yellow light...."is that the turn signal or the BSM?" Ok. It's just the signal I can merge.
So, no it isn't a problem per se, but it's just an unnecessary light that can cause confusion. In other vehicles the signal light is partly or completely shielded from the driver's vision because the driver really doesn't need to see his own signals. They could have put the signal light almost anywhere else on the mirror and been less distracting than 1" to the left of the BSM.
This is well said....I am new to Atlas and this is what happens with me, too. I'm guessing that VW lets you see the blinker there (in your periphery) in case you accidentally leave it on....maybe you'd notice that before seeing it in the dash? But it is a cause to pause when changing lanes and using the turn signal. At highway speeds, every tenth of a second could matter.

SB

#19 ·
Interesting and good responses - I get it now. I don't have this issue but at least I get why others do..hahahah. I don't hesitate b/c I know which is which - I've never thought about it TBH. I know other vehicles have this same setup - where you can see the signal on/in the mirror, it's somewhat common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.