Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to change the color of the led (by replacement or colored tape) on eithe the blind spot indicator or the directional led on the mirror so that my brain can differentia quicker between the two?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, that is the worst. I have been thinking of putting tape over it. Not sure why I even need that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, that is the worst. I have been thinking of putting tape over it. Not sure why I even need that.
I know, every time I go to change lanes I think there’s someone in the next lane and it’s driving me nuts!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update- I rook the mirror apart and put electrical tape ofer the led. It ended up looking great and there’s no light coming through!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't you just turn off the blind spot monitor instead of putting tape over it?
No, that’s not the problem. We all like the blind spot indicator. The problem is that when you turn the turn signal on, it’s the same color as the blind spot indicator and theres an LED for the turn signal on the mirror that makes your brain confuse the two. So every time you turn the turn signal on you tend to think there’s a car in the lane next to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, that’s not the problem. We all like the blind spot indicator. The problem is that when you turn the turn signal on, it’s the same color as the blind spot indicator and theres an LED for the turn signal on the mirror that makes your brain confuse the two. So every time you turn the turn signal on you tend to think there’s a car in the lane next to you.
Oh, you taped over the turn signal? I thought you taped over the blind spot indicator. That makes more sense!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, you taped over the turn signal? I thought you taped over the blind spot indicator. That makes more sense!
Lol...yes. I only taped over the small part that faces the interior. The backside of the mirror still blinks but I can’t see that from my view so all is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking if you can't tell the difference between the lights, you should stop driving. The lights are two different lights.

·
Super Moderator
770 Posts
I'm thinking if you can't tell the difference between the lights, you should stop driving. The lights are two different lights.
Same - don't get it TBH. I've never had an issue knowing when it's my blind spot light or if I hit the blinker. Normally, you are checking your blind spot before hitting the blinker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same - don't get it TBH. I've never had an issue knowing when it's my blind spot light or if I hit the blinker. Normally, you are checking your blind spot before hitting the blinker.
I’m thinking you guys might not be using your turn signal?! Lol.... look some people drive with their hands at 10 & 2, others with one hand. Some drive the speed limit, others are flying at 90. We all have different habits and those habits might create a conflict as I’ve stated on this discussion. if it hasn’t created an issue, then your habits are not the same as mine and you simply don’t have anyth8ng to add to this thread. It is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
770 Posts
I’m thinking you guys might not be using your turn signal?! Lol.... look some people drive with their hands at 10 & 2, others with one hand. Some drive the speed limit, others are flying at 90. We all have different habits and those habits might create a conflict as I’ve stated on this discussion. if it hasn’t created an issue, then your habits are not the same as mine and you simply don’t have anyth8ng to add to this thread. It is what it is.
Yes...I'm using my turns always....I look over my shoulder/in my mirror first...if a car is in my blind spot then I see the light. If not I hit my blinker and change lanes. Describe your situation where this causes an issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes...I'm using my turns always....I look over my shoulder/in my mirror first...if a car is in my blind spot then I see the light. If not I hit my blinker and change lanes. Describe your situation where this causes an issue?
I’m the guy that drives 80 but I’m constantly using my mirrors so I know my surroundings. Since I’m usually moving faster than other traffic I’m already 95% sure that nobody is in the lane that I’m getting ready to move into Because I see the opening and I’m passing them. I also big advocate of using turn signals and I’ve had several other cars that I had learned to trust the blind spot indicator in (unless it’s raining). That being said, I admittedly don’t look over my should as much as I should (partially for physical limitations). So when I’m passing a car and moving into the lane I second guess myself when the turn signal light goes on. Since I blacked out the light I haven’t had any issues. It’s probably a right/left brain situation that effects some and not others?

·
Super Moderator
770 Posts
I’m the guy that drives 80 but I’m constantly using my mirrors so I know my surroundings. Since I’m usually moving faster than other traffic I’m already 95% sure that nobody is in the lane that I’m getting ready to move into Because I see the opening and I’m passing them. I also big advocate of using turn signals and I’ve had several other cars that I had learned to trust the blind spot indicator in (unless it’s raining). That being said, I admittedly don’t look over my should as much as I should (partially for physical limitations). So when I’m passing a car and moving into the lane I second guess myself when the turn signal light goes on. Since I blacked out the light I haven’t had any issues. It’s probably a right/left brain situation that effects some and not others?
Even if I don't look over my shoulder and just use the BSM light, I still look at the mirror before I throw my signal. No clue on this one - if I use the turn I know that's what I'm looking at. You aren't the only one for sure that has this comment, I've read it from others on the FB groups. How do other cars handle it? Also, in our SEL b/c it has lane assist, if you put on your signal and someone is your blind spot, the steering wheel vibrates. The Yukon rental I had a few weeks ago did this but the seat vibrated. Just need to do some re-training on it it sounds like to me...pass car...look at mirror...when BSM light goes out, or isn't lit hit your signal. Easy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I too dislike the proximity and matching color of the signal and blind spot warning lights. Is it going to cause me to crash? No. Does it sometimes make me hesitate? Yes. When I am driving and looking to change lanes my first step is to check my mirror. Then signal. Then check my mirror again as it is always possible some idiot has come flying into the left lane out of nowhere. It is during the second mirror check when the turn signal is on, that there's a moment of hesitation when I see the yellow light...."is that the turn signal or the BSM?" Ok. It's just the signal I can merge.
So, no it isn't a problem per se, but it's just an unnecessary light that can cause confusion. In other vehicles the signal light is partly or completely shielded from the driver's vision because the driver really doesn't need to see his own signals. They could have put the signal light almost anywhere else on the mirror and been less distracting than 1" to the left of the BSM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too dislike the proximity and matching color of the signal and blind spot warning lights. Is it going to cause me to crash? No. Does it sometimes make me hesitate? Yes. When I am driving and looking to change lanes my first step is to check my mirror. Then signal. Then check my mirror again as it is always possible some idiot has come flying into the left lane out of nowhere. It is during the second mirror check when the turn signal is on, that there's a moment of hesitation when I see the yellow light...."is that the turn signal or the BSM?" Ok. It's just the signal I can merge.
So, no it isn't a problem per se, but it's just an unnecessary light that can cause confusion. In other vehicles the signal light is partly or completely shielded from the driver's vision because the driver really doesn't need to see his own signals. They could have put the signal light almost anywhere else on the mirror and been less distracting than 1" to the left of the BSM.
This is well said....I am new to Atlas and this is what happens with me, too. I'm guessing that VW lets you see the blinker there (in your periphery) in case you accidentally leave it on....maybe you'd notice that before seeing it in the dash? But it is a cause to pause when changing lanes and using the turn signal. At highway speeds, every tenth of a second could matter.

SB

·
Super Moderator
770 Posts
Interesting and good responses - I get it now. I don't have this issue but at least I get why others do..hahahah. I don't hesitate b/c I know which is which - I've never thought about it TBH. I know other vehicles have this same setup - where you can see the signal on/in the mirror, it's somewhat common.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts